Rochdale Match Thread

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beat me to it!

Was it a pen? Looked stonewall from 120 yards away. Latics fan on the radio said Taylor fell over.

He did fall over but he was challenged and they didn't get the ball. Taylor was looking for it. Trotman was a little too keen today, shame really. That'll have hurt him more than it hurt us.

Great goal from Clarke from the corner, although we must hope to score a lot more from set-pieces as it looks our only option at the moment.

Reid was my MOM, thought he had a great game, much more like it. If he could find his shooting boots as well he'll be a great player for us.

Was disappointed we didn't put more past them, could have put them to the sword and scored goals from open play. We might not be as lucky as were today against Colchester. Good, solid performance though

Bit crap that wasn't it! Great result but a bit of a reality check from Tuesday nights thriller. I thought it was a classic Taylor dive and Trotman was unlucky to get two yellows. We looked in no danger after 20 minutes into the game and the game was pretty boring to be fair. But, all in all a great week for Latics - 6 points out of 6 and something to build on.

My Man of the match: Winchester.

Bit crap that wasn't it! Great result but a bit of a reality check from Tuesday nights thriller. I thought it was a classic Taylor dive and Trotman was unlucky to get two yellows. We looked in no danger after 20 minutes into the game and the game was pretty boring to be fair. But, all in all a great week for Latics - 6 points out of 6 and something to build on.

My Man of the match: Winchester.

After the worry of last week, when people were saying they don't know where the next 3pts are coming from, i'll take a boring 2-0 win like that.

There positive signs from players like Reid, who held it up very well, Winchester was steady and kept us settled, Clarke played very well I thought and carried on through injury and Wesolowski had another fantastic game!

Things seem like they are getting better and two wins from two will do for me!

Thought winchester had a bad 1st half, much improved 2nd!

Reid worked his socks off and looked good! Much improved from last season!

Lee had a terrible first 30mins against akpro(?) but once he went central lee improved!

Two centre halfs had a good game! Was impressed with clarke!

The rest of the team grew into the game after a slow start!

I still feel we're short of a striker and quality central midfielder, but i think we will be ok!

I thought the first half hour was fairly even. They had a bit more of the ball, but we looked more likely to do something with it.

Then the penalty and red card ... both of Trotman's bookings were worthy of a yellow, so they can't really have any arguments over that. After that they offered little.

Morais delivered far better corners today, and I can't remember the last time we scored from a head from a corner at the RRE - but decent delivery at least gives a chance!

Second half I though we were going to over-run them at the start, but we probably took our foot off the gas a little. What was promising was the number of times we got round the back of them and delivered crosses in to the box. Easier when they're playing three at the back, but with an extra runner through the centre this will bring us more goals.

Players who stood out?

Reid held the ball up really well and put the effort in. Good call from Dickov to sub him and let the crowd show their appreciation.

Winchester and Wesolowski paired up well in the middle. I thought there was a danger that Dale were going to get the better of them early on but even before the penalty I think they were getting a grip of the game. I think central midfield is Winchester's best position.

A mention for both full backs who got forward well. And a solid debut capped with a goal for Clarke. Exactly the kind of player I'd want on my team.

A job well done.

Slightly concerned that PD keeps giving Kirk Millar a run - not convinced from what little I have seen and would hope to see him go out on loan to see how he shapes up.

Not a classic but some good signs - Reid and Wesolosksi the pick for me and keeper looks better than we have had for some time.

Didn't think it was a pen actually; Taylor was looking for it - had it been the other way round; I'd have been spewing to have been the receiving end of a decision like that.

That said; Trotman was rash to make the challenge.

His head went today. After he lost his rag after a hard but fair Reid challenge on Hollness, he was a sending off waiting to happen. He wanted to do too well on his return IMO - and he was stupid to het that het-up / worked up. The challenge on Lee was red on its own IMO. But; he'd lost it big time; and if it was then; it'd been soon enough he'd have been walking.

I thought without it being a classic; it was a great result.

Reid and Weslowski were cracking; Reid actually outstanding for me. When we get to him to his feet & he can turn and run; he looks such a threat. Pumping high balls to him is pointless; its not his game. But on the deck & to his feet - he a class act.

Another goal for his total; his confidence is growing as the games go by.......

Special mention to Nathan Clarke too; very solid debut and a cracking effort to get his head to the corner and score. Looks a very shrewd loan signing....

Well done to the boys today - happy days

I thought we were poor but a wins a win. We can play much better. Players will hopefully get fitter. Some more goals would have been nice but I'm pleased. Reid is getting better every game.

I agree, we were pretty poor, I thought they kept possesion very well first half and with a cutting edge could have been ahead early doors. We didn't start to pass the ball until they lost Trotman and whilst 3 points was very welcome I felt the performance was not that good!

I felt we were generally better against Sheff Utd but got nowt.......got to be happy with the points but nowhere near the required standard!!!

1st half didn't play well, went in 2 up. 2nd half played well, didn't score. Always prefer the points but be nice when we can mix the two for a full 90.

Best bits of the match was Blacks iron grip handshake to Taylor when helping him up and the guy sat infront who after moaning about everything Taylor did, exclaiming 'he's messed it up again' and his mate informing him it was actually Kirk Millar who'd lost the ball!

I have to say if trotman hadn't been sent off we may have got a good bumming second half.

Still, 3 points is what counts, come May they may be vital on our promotion charge!

Edited by BlueJazzer

Slightly concerned that PD keeps giving Kirk Millar a run - not convinced from what little I have seen and would hope to see him go out on loan to see how he shapes up.

Not a classic but some good signs - Reid and Wesolosksi the pick for me and keeper looks better than we have had for some time.

Me to Mick, Im still not sure what he brings to the party, bit lightweight and not really that quick.

Now Mellor, that kid has talent

Very glad of the 3 points indeed however we were poor first 25 minutes and any football was coming from Rochdale. The pen was against the tide and Trotmans sending off aided our performance there after. Winning breds confidence and if that is what's needed then the woodwork at Scunny and Trotman's sending off just maybe the slice of luck we need. That said we really need to start playing some better football.

Wesolowski battled hard and covered the ground trying to break up the play of Rochdale and Reid did alot of donkey work too. For me it was between them two for MOM. Winchester did some good work in midfield and could go on to be a good pro upto Championship level if he continues to improve, still a tad raw at times but that's his age. All in all a great 3 points but still many question marks over the performances to date.

I was really pleased with our performance from around 30mins to 60mins, thought we took our foot off the gas after that but there wasnt much of a threat coming our way!

I Enjoyed the game more than most it seems, but it was my first game this season! I think we have enough to stay up based on that performance and with a couple more additions (CM and ST) and if we keep hold of clarke (who impressed me) then i think we'll push up the league!

i thought Rochdale were easily on top until the incident with Taylor and the Rochdale fans. While i can't condone that kind of behaviour, it worked, cos Rochdale completely lost the plot for the rest of the 1st half. And Taylor used to be such an inoffensive little thing. He's been a right horrible little get since Dickov took over. Long may it continue.

That was wonderful today, very even first half, their man Akpro had the beating of Lee many times but had no end product. We grafted and as Dickov said on his pre-match interview we wanted to win today. All the players were up for it, Wesolowski was sheer class today, breaking up play and was the hub of everything good we did.

Very professional 2nd half performance, we were two nil up and as long as we kept them out we got the three points. After so many bad second halves I'll take today's disciplined performance, Cisak didn't pick the ball from the back of his net, to be fair apart from the one save he made early doors second half he hadn't anything to do.

More of the same please and we'll maybe surprise a few teams.