Latics' Problem

We agree that the Club needs those who no longer have the 'Oldham 'til i die' attitude to come through the door. It follows that without them the snagnant Club cannot survive on dwindling gates, with its own shortcomings and without the willingness of the two wealthy Amigos to throw good money after bad.

Yes, it's the Club's responsibility to provide the carrot, but I don't believe that the 'Oldham 'til i die' attitude can be resurrected. Simple as that.

But being honest, thats what the club haven't been doing. In order to not only survive, but move forward, they need people who don't have the oldham till I die attitude through the door, regardless of whether this attitude can be resurrected or not.

Now the club can either

moan/whine/guilt trip/play sympathy or emotional blackmail card/have a bitch and a rant on laticsworld about stayaways choosing not to come, blaming these fans for the clubs inability to compete whilst offering nothing to entice them back, which seems to have been the preferred option for a while.

or

it can sit back, accept football is changing and the number of 'oldham till I die' fans will dwindle season by season, and look at what it can do, rather than wory about what it can't do, to get the stayaways to come back.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we don't invest now the club will take longer to put on an even keel and will be less attractive to investors who can take it forward, therefore the reason we need the hardcore and newish "stayaways" to come back with their cash is to give the club a chance of improving everything more quickly and thus attracting more people who are currently taking other options on a saturday.

Like you said its chicken and egg, but it doesn't change the fact that people need a better reason to do so than to help a stagnant league 1 club to merely survive. A more positive reason is needed, and it is the responsibility of the club to convey this message to fans.

It is essential that the club do their bit, which at the moment, is make the absolute most of what they do have. There are signs that the commercial side of the club is improving (selling out the £30 pie and pint for the brentford game being a prime example) but there are other areas, such as advertising,and catering on matchday which is still piss poor. I really wonder how many people, aside from the hardcore, actually knew that Latics were playing at home that week.

I give up. My last point Om those subject is this.

Moan moan moan, football is all about money. Clubs like manure and Chelsea should spread the wealth.....

If we had just clung on for a couple 2 more seasons on the prem we would have seen the start of sky's big money influence. Maybe we could have now been enjoying the success that Bolton, Wigan, west ham (to a point) are enjoying. Would you be dripping about it being all about the money then? Chances are we'd be in a nice new stadium as our success would have made us a more attractive option to investors. Chances are we would have crowds of 20k. No stayaways, just Latics fans and supporters enjoying watching their home town club.

Or would you still be moaning about the cold soup in your restaurant?

Coulda woulda shoulda.

I give up. My last point Om those subject is this.

Moan moan moan, football is all about money. Clubs like manure and Chelsea should spread the wealth.....

If we had just clung on for a couple 2 more seasons on the prem we would have seen the start of sky's big money influence. Maybe we could have now been enjoying the success that Bolton, Wigan, west ham (to a point) are enjoying. Would you be dripping about it being all about the money then? Chances are we'd be in a nice new stadium as our success would have made us a more attractive option to investors. Chances are we would have crowds of 20k. No stayaways, just Latics fans and supporters enjoying watching their home town club.

Or would you still be moaning about the cold soup in your restaurant?

Coulda woulda shoulda.

The bottom line is clubs like united and chelsea wont spread the wealth, deal with it, just like Latics have to.

If you would have read any of these posts properly, you would know it isn't a case of could of would of should have, its a case of could be doing, should be doing, what their not doing, in the present time, to make life easier for themselves.

Like it or lump it football is a business, and latics are competing with other clubs for supporters.

The bottom line is clubs like united and chelsea wont spread the wealth, deal with it, just like Latics have to.

If you would have read any of these posts properly, you would know it isn't a case of could of would of should have, its a case of could be doing, should be doing, what their not doing, in the present time, to make life easier for themselves.

Like it or lump it football is a business, and latics are competing with other clubs for supporters.

Don't bloody patronise me Carl. I'm perfectly capable of reading the posts properly, and what I'm reading is a pile of drivel about who is or isn't a stayaway and how were all doomed to hell for not selling our grannies houses to help out the club.

This has come a long way from the original post, which actually said more than the rest of the thread put together. Wish I was on my laptop and not my phone because I need that rant smiley!!!!!

Don't bloody patronise me Carl. I'm perfectly capable of reading the posts properly, and what I'm reading is a pile of drivel about who is or isn't a stayaway and how were all doomed to hell for not selling our grannies houses to help out the club.

This has come a long way from the original post, which actually said more than the rest of the thread put together. Wish I was on my laptop and not my phone because I need that rant smiley!!!!!

I am not patronising anyone. In your previous posts you were making the 'coulda woulda shoulda' argument. We are talking in the present tense, not past.

Nothing about what they could and should have done. Rather what they could and should be doing now, but are not doing. Aside from the questions I asked Diego, most of my posts have been in present or future tense.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Interesting that quite a few of the stayaways on this thread are or have been moderators of this message board.

I do wonder if having to run a board like this with all the politics on it has killed the enthusiasm for some of you?

This type of thing has always put me off getting involved with things like the Trust and playershare I just want to be a fan.

Interesting point. My experience in SAFE days certainly had precisely that effect.

Edited by Dave_Og

Interesting that quite a few of the stayaways on this thread are or have been moderators of this message board.

I do wonder if having to run a board like this with all the politics on it has killed the enthusiasm for some of you?

This type of thing has always put me off getting involved with things like the Trust and playershare I just want to be a fan.

Interesting point. Although when I stopped going coincided with when I stepped down from the Trust, and many times I did whats the point, it was a good experience nevertheless and got to know people I now consider good friends.

Although I think SAFE were a bit before my time, I do remember taking part as a keen 11 year old in the sit in protest, I forget which game it was after.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Speaking purely from a personal basis,

I want the club to do alot more to make the matchday experience at Boundary Park as good as it can be, and make the most of the facilities it has. For example, how many days a week in the past was the chronicle suite and sponsors suite empty, when the club could have been using them and making money on the bar? When I was last going regularly the catering was a serious problem re running out of food early. As I understand, this is still a problem at the moment, but its something, unlike the poor facilities, that can be remedied overnight with better management, and something that the club can do something about. All well and good saying the catering is outsourced? The club have made the choice to hire this company to represent them. If they are not doing it sufficiently, then replace them with someone who will. Whilst I will admit, given the current state of Boundary Park, this wont be enough to make me buy a season ticket, if I see the club is doing its absolute upmost to make the most of what it has, I may be inclined to attend a few games.

And more importantly, I want to see a plan that has a chance of re-establishing the club in the second tier of English football. And by establishing, I don't just mean getting promoted. I mean getting promoted, comfortably staying there, and competing. Whilst I accept the situation at the moment, I will not accept that it always have to be this way. I thought Failsworth stood a good chance of establishing us as a championship team. However, I was absolutely gutted when it was announced we were staying here, and am not convinced in the slightest that a redeveloped Boundary Park, that in all likelyhood will be a scaled down version of what we would have got at failsworth, can sustain a team in the championship. Whilst it might have done a few decades ago, it is a much stronger league these days.

In a nutshell I want a move forward attitude from the club, not a get by and survive attitude. Whilst I am happy Dickov seems to have this, I am not convinced those running the club off the field have this attitude at the moment. Which is why I decided to give money to Playershare, but I will not pay on the gate at the moment.

Hope that has answered your question

I'm not sure I buy into this 'matchday experience' stuff to be honest, though I agree with your first point about the catering thing and the club should be able to sort that fairly easily. I'm not sure what is happening with the Chronicle suite etc, but this new marketing girl seems to be pushing us generally in the right direction.

On the second point though, the club had invested no small amount of cold hard cash in the Failsworth project. You can argue all day long about who was at fault for it falling down, but the fact is that the club were set of providing new faciliteis at the location.

I'm also not sure why a redeveloped BP has to be a scaled down version of Failworth. In fact, it's a fair probability that we'll get a stadium (in time) with a larger capacity than that being talked about for Failsworth and moreover it will have character. It won't be a soul-less bowl like most new stadiums seem to be.

The club have already said that discussions to start building a new main stand are in progress, but all of these issues come back to the point of who is going to pay for this new 'forward thinking attitude'? And how can they attract somebody/a group who are going to want to invest in a club whose hardcore has dwindled from around 500 to 3500 inside 5 years?

Like you said its chicken and egg, but it doesn't change the fact that people need a better reason to do so than to help a stagnant league 1 club to merely survive. A more positive reason is needed, and it is the responsibility of the club to convey this message to fans.

It is essential that the club do their bit, which at the moment, is make the absolute most of what they do have. There are signs that the commercial side of the club is improving (selling out the £30 pie and pint for the brentford game being a prime example) but there are other areas, such as advertising,and catering on matchday which is still piss poor. I really wonder how many people, aside from the hardcore, actually knew that Latics were playing at home that week.

I'm still struggling to understand what you and others who have stopped going want the club to actually do in practice to entice you back?

Actual practical suggestions please.

Interesting point. Although when I stopped going coincided with when I stepped down from the Trust, and many times I did whats the point, it was a good experience nevertheless and got to know people I now consider good friends.

Although I think SAFE were a bit before my time, I do remember taking part as a keen 11 year old in the sit in protest, I forget which game it was after.

Wycombe, Easter Monday 1998 lost 0-1, :censored:e game, :censored:e performance…showed Lees' the red card...

I'm still struggling to understand what you and others who have stopped going want the club to actually do in practice to entice you back?

Personal lap dances with 'privileges'

Chocolate Fountains with gratis dipping platter, eaten off Michelle Marsh's tits

Ritual DIrector burnings at the stake as HT Entertainment

Pin the tail on the Donkey (A member of the Pine Villains Donkey Sactuary is invited to make the Strike it Lucky Draw, the winner is then blind folded and gets to pin a tail on said 'donkey')

Ian Hill delivering lectures on the pros and cons of the failed planning applications and how he knew all along what the short-comings where

There's a start….

End of the day 22 men kicking bag o' wind round a medder, no matter how Sky dress it up that's what it is. You go to BP, freeze yer bollocks off moan like :censored: all game, enjoy a nuclear hot bovril, eat a rubber pie, moan like :censored: on the way home, mutter you 'wouldn't pay 'em in washers and guess what you're back the week after.

I wish people would Stop trying to justfy why you don't go, you can't be arsed simples, that's all it boils down to. The same distractions were all there when you came every week, now you simply think ':censored: it' my score's going elsewhere…..

Edited by oafcprozac

Well that's the beauty about Playershre. There is no reason to get involved other than to sling some money into the pot. There is no need to ponder where it goes or any politics around it. No monies ever goes to anything other than a player PD has asked playershare to help him secure said player to the club. No admin costs, no postage costs, no ego trip costs for anyone involved. Hopefully that's addressed your concerns and you'll get on board. Sorry I've done it again and hijacked a post.

Edited by Lags

There is only so much the club can do, if they make it much cheaper then they will lose money even with a small increase. People were moaning after the Carlisle saying the club should so that more often and maybe they would come, then when the club came out and said they would lose more money than if only 3000 turned up. They bring in a new system that fans wanted and that is still too expensive, even if it is cheaper than many others in this league.

I will always defend anyone who cannot afford it, but there are some who can yet still choose not to. Some blamed Penney, well he has been gone for over a year, others blamed a lack of atmosphere, well that is because people stopped coming so if everyone who wants an amotsphere turned up maybe there would be. I feel that some fans stopped coming because they didn't want to anymore, but for some reason they don't feel they can be honest.

Stop looking for the club to wave a magic wand and intice you back and either; admit you no longer love the thrill of live football, or start coming again you might enjoy it.

There is only so much the club can do, if they make it much cheaper then they will lose money even with a small increase. People were moaning after the Carlisle saying the club should so that more often and maybe they would come, then when the club came out and said they would lose more money than if only 3000 turned up. They bring in a new system that fans wanted and that is still too expensive, even if it is cheaper than many others in this league.

I will always defend anyone who cannot afford it, but there are some who can yet still choose not to. Some blamed Penney, well he has been gone for over a year, others blamed a lack of atmosphere, well that is because people stopped coming so if everyone who wants an amotsphere turned up maybe there would be. I feel that some fans stopped coming because they didn't want to anymore, but for some reason they don't feel they can be honest.

Stop looking for the club to wave a magic wand and intice you back and either; admit you no longer love the thrill of live football, or start coming again you might enjoy it.

Some blamed Hughes, some blamed Ronnie Moore, some blamed dropping out of the Premier League, some blamed dropping out of the second tier!

People can find many reasons not to turn up on weekedend and unfortunately for the hardcore this is frustrating. Like it has been said it is the chicken and the egg scenario. Many people wont come back until we are a realstic challenge for the top but to be able to seriously be able to do that we need more revenue.

I don't think we will see an increase in attendance unless we go up.

Are we really getting attendences that much lower than the last time we were at this level of football?

My life has changed a lot since I use to come to Latics...

I now have a kid and I live out of the town...

For me to come and watch a football match (and this can apply to any football club) these days it would be with the family. I can't justify spending the vast majority of my Saturday away from them with me working all week.

Here are some of the things that come to mind if I was to bring the family...

1. Cost - 2 x £20 + £3 ? (if we sat in the Chaddy ?) = £43 WOW that's a lot!!
  2. Comfort - Its cold, its wet and the place looks a mess
  3. Pre / Post Entertainment - Is there anything to do outside of watching the football match. Kids club for example?
  4. Cost / Time relationship /Value for money - Its a 90 min game
  5. Language - Do I want my child around some of the language that you see ?

My mindset has totally changed since having a kid... I don't honestly think there is anything they can do to bring me back to be honest.

End of the day 22 men kicking bag o' wind round a medder, no matter how Sky dress it up that's what it is. You go to BP, freeze yer bollocks off moan like :censored: all game, enjoy a nuclear hot bovril, eat a rubber pie, moan like :censored: on the way home, mutter you 'wouldn't pay 'em in washers and guess what you're back the week after.

I wish people would Stop trying to justfy why you don't go, you can't be arsed simples, that's all it boils down to. The same distractions were all there when you came every week, now you simply think ':censored: it' my score's going elsewhere…..

laticsfan.png

My life has changed a lot since I use to come to Latics...

I now have a kid and I live out of the town...

For me to come and watch a football match (and this can apply to any football club) these days it would be with the family. I can't justify spending the vast majority of my Saturday away from them with me working all week.

Here are some of the things that come to mind if I was to bring the family...

1. Cost - 2 x £20 + £3 ? (if we sat in the Chaddy ?) = £43 WOW that's a lot!!
  2. Comfort - Its cold, its wet and the place looks a mess
  3. Pre / Post Entertainment - Is there anything to do outside of watching the football match. Kids club for example?
  4. Cost / Time relationship /Value for money - Its a 90 min game
  5. Language - Do I want my child around some of the language that you see ?

My mindset has totally changed since having a kid... I don't honestly think there is anything they can do to bring me back to be honest.

At least you're being honest, and in simple terms proves my point that many simply can't be arsed anymore

Some blamed Hughes, some blamed Ronnie Moore, some blamed dropping out of the Premier League, some blamed dropping out of the second tier!

People can find many reasons not to turn up on weekedend and unfortunately for the hardcore this is frustrating. Like it has been said it is the chicken and the egg scenario. Many people wont come back until we are a realstic challenge for the top but to be able to seriously be able to do that we need more revenue.

I don't think we will see an increase in attendance unless we go up.

Are we really getting attendences that much lower than the last time we were at this level of football?

No in the main, but yes on one occasion.

The last season we were in Div 3 we got promoted and the one before thsat just missed out.

in 73/4 we started about the 5/6000 mark and bui;t up so that from mid March we were never below 10000.

In 72/3 the first half of the season was around 5/6000 the second half around 8000.

The worst season was 68/9, finished bottom and we had six games below 3000.

Edited by LaticsPete

Spent ages reading this thread and all the wonderful theories. Here's mine and it's very simple. If you had the desire to attend, you'd attend. If you haven't you won't. If Latics once again stumbled onto Royle's stumbled upon side and dished up those magical night/day cup heroics, we will have full houses again. Yes my fellow Tic's there you have it. Entertaining winning sides equal footfall through the turnstyles. Even in three sided :censored: tips.

Edited by Lags

No in the main, but yes on one occasion.

The last season we were in Div 3 we got promoted and the one before thsat just missed out.

in 73/4 we started about the 5/6000 mark and bui;t up so that from mid March we were never below 10000.

In 72/3 the first half of the season was around 5/6000 the second half around 8000.

The worst season was 68/9, finished bottom and we had six games below 3000.

Alan Groves was signed in February 1974, is it a coincidence crowd pleasers can draw them in as did Bobby Johnstone ?

Is there any player now Latics could sign who would have the same crowd pulling impact ?

Tongue in cheek this - take Carlos Tevez off City' hands for nothing and keep him active until he probably moves on in January :wink:

Edited by BP1960

Alan Groves was signed in February 1974, is it a coincidence crowd pleasers can draw them in as did Bobby Johnstone ?

Is there any player now Latics could sign who would have the same crowd pulling impact ?

Tongue in cheek this - take Carlos Tevez off City' hands for nothing and keep him fit until he probably moves on in January :wink:

Last opportunity went with Scholes imo…I still think if we had a better side and were on the up, able to challenge at the right end then he would have come for a year. Being a fan he knew the state the club was in and thought 'sod it' the last thing he needed was a battle against relegation to Division 4 or at best treading water in mid-table...

Tongue in cheek this - take Carlos Tevez off City' hands for nothing and keep him active until he probably moves on in January :wink:

I think, in order to punish him fully, he should be made to spend the remainder of his contract with City on loan at Latics.

Last opportunity went with Scholes imo…I still think if we had a better side and were on the up, able to challenge at the right end then he would have come for a year. Being a fan he knew the state the club was in and thought 'sod it' the last thing he needed was a battle against relegation to Division 4 or at best treading water in mid-table...

To be fair, I think single-handedly he could have taken us into the top six. But it's true, it'd have been a far more appealing prospect had we look vaguely able to do so without him.

He did say he was never approached, mind, which didn't help.

At least you're being honest, and in simple terms proves my point that many simply can't be arsed anymore

I always try to just be honest...

I wouldn't say I "cant be arsed"... I want to have fun with the family at end of the day, if that was possible at the football then it would be an option. Its more it doesn't fit my life or what I want from it...

Edited by oafc0000