• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Premier League teams have worn poppies in all games played in November so far yet I've seen none in League One. Does anyone know why and whether we are wearing shirts with poppies next weekend?

No Premier League games next weekend so they are getting their "remembering" in early. I expect we will have something organised for next weekend.

This is going to be an unpopular post so I'll prefix this with the fact that I spent last year's holiday going round the Normandy beaches, cemeteries and memorials. Here's a picture of the British Cemetery at Ranville, not far from Pegasus Bridge.

f8g8g.jpg

Which is only to illustrate that I am well aware of the purpose of the poppy appeal, to commemorate the fallen from past and current conflicts.

Premier League teams can probably afford to have shirts they only wear for a couple of games, the smaller teams are less likely to do so. We may have done this in the past but I'd rather the money went elsewhere at the moment. There were only about 4000 Latics fans in the ground yesterday, I don't think we should be spending the money on this. If the club wanted to be involved by all means get some cheap stick on poppies rather than getting Carbrini to do a limited run with poppies stitched into the shirts.

The money from putting a poppy on a Latics shirt wouldn't go to the poppy appeal, it would go to Carbrini or the company that sold the stick on poppies. For Latics to do anything useful they would have to donate X amount to the poppy appeal fund in addition to paying for modified shirts, in effect, paying twice. I'd rather the individual fan make their own mind up as to whether they want to donate to the poppy fund and leave the club out of it.

This is going to be an unpopular post so I'll prefix this with the fact that I spent last year's holiday going round the Normandy beaches, cemeteries and memorials. Here's a picture of the British Cemetery at Ranville, not far from Pegasus Bridge.

f8g8g.jpg

Which is only to illustrate that I am well aware of the purpose of the poppy appeal, to commemorate the fallen from past and current conflicts.

Premier League teams can probably afford to have shirts they only wear for a couple of games, the smaller teams are less likely to do so. We may have done this in the past but I'd rather the money went elsewhere at the moment. There were only about 4000 Latics fans in the ground yesterday, I don't think we should be spending the money on this. If the club wanted to be involved by all means get some cheap stick on poppies rather than getting Carbrini to do a limited run with poppies stitched into the shirts.

The money from putting a poppy on a Latics shirt wouldn't go to the poppy appeal, it would go to Carbrini or the company that sold the stick on poppies. For Latics to do anything useful they would have to donate X amount to the poppy appeal fund in addition to paying for modified shirts, in effect, paying twice. I'd rather the individual fan make their own mind up as to whether they want to donate to the poppy fund and leave the club out of it.

We did the poppy shirt for the FA Cup game against Kettering Town 11 November 2006. The shirts where auctioned off after the game with procceds going to RBL.

Premier League teams have worn poppies in all games played in November so far yet I've seen none in League One. Does anyone know why and whether we are wearing shirts with poppies next weekend?

Because it cost a lot of money to make new shirts just to wear for a few weeks. The premiership can afford it but lower leagues can't. Maybe teams like Charlton will. Those teams with more money.

I'd suggest cost is a key reason why the lower leagues haven't been doing it.

Surprised we had no minute silence yesterday though. Well, except after their second went in.

I'd have thought it was because we are at home next saturday....we'll have ome them

The shirts will cost no more than a couple of quid to make in the far east sweat shops that Cabrini use.

Which they will then sell on for a profit to the club. Yay! Well done Carbrini for trousering some cash so that a nonentity club from Northern England comply with the poppy fascism.

Just seen this by Robert Fisk - http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-do-those-who-flaunt-the-poppy-on-their-lapels-know-that-they-mock-the-war-dead-6257416.html

I turned on the television in my Damascus hotel room to witness a dreary sight: all the boys and girls of BBC World wearing their little poppies again.

Bright red they were, with that particularly silly green leaf out of the top – it was never part of the original Lady Haig appeal – and not one dared to appear on screen without it. Do these pathetic men and women know how they mock the dead? I trust that Jon Snow has maintained his dignity by not wearing it.

Now I've mentioned my Dad too many times in The Independent. He died almost 20 years ago so, after today, I think it's time he was allowed to rest in peace, and that readers should in future be spared his sometimes bald wisdom. This is the last time he will make an appearance. But he had strong views about wearing the poppy. He was a soldier of the Great War, Battle of Arras 1918 – often called the Third Battle of the Somme – and the liberation of Cambrai, along with many troops from Canada. The Kaiser Wilhelm's army had charitably set the whole place on fire and he was appalled by the scorched earth policy of the retreating Germans. But of course, year after year, he would go along to the local cenotaph in Birkenhead, and later in Maidstone, where I was born 28 years after the end of his Great War, and he always wore his huge black coat, his regimental tie – 12th Battalion, the King's Liverpool Regiment – and his poppy.

In those days, it was – I recall this accurately, I think – a darker red, blood-red rather than BBC-red, larger than the sorrow-lite version I see on the BBC and without that ridiculous leaf. So my Dad would stand and I would be next to him in my Yardley Court School blazer at 10 years old and later, aged 16, in my Sutton Valence School blazer, with my very own Lady Haig poppy, its long black wire snaking through the material, sprouting from my lapel.

My Dad gave me lots of books about the Great War, so I knew about the assassination of the Archduke Ferdinand at Sarajevo before I went to school – and 47 years before I stood, amid real shellfire, in the real Sarajevo and put my feet on the very pavement footprints where Gavrilo Princip fired the fatal shots.

But as the years passed, old Bill Fisk became very ruminative about the Great War. He learned that Haig had lied, that he himself had fought for a world that betrayed him, that 20,000 British dead on the first day of the Somme – which he mercifully avoided because his first regiment, the Cheshires, sent him to Dublin and Cork to deal with another 1916 "problem" – was a trashing of human life. In hospital and recovering from cancer, I asked him once why the Great War was fought. "All I can tell you, fellah," he said, "was that it was a great waste." And he swept his hand from left to right. Then he stopped wearing his poppy. I asked him why, and he said that he didn't want to see "so many damn fools" wearing it – he was a provocative man and, sadly, I fell out with him in his old age. What he meant was that all kinds of people who had no idea of the suffering of the Great War – or the Second, for that matter – were now ostentatiously wearing a poppy for social or work-related reasons, to look patriotic and British when it suited them, to keep in with their friends and betters and employers. These people, he said to me once, had no idea what the trenches of France were like, what it felt like to have your friends die beside you and then to confront their brothers and wives and lovers and parents. At home, I still have a box of photographs of his mates, all of them killed in 1918.

So like my Dad, I stopped wearing the poppy on the week before Remembrance Day, 11 November, when on the 11th hour of the 11 month of 1918, the armistice ended the war called Great. I didn't feel I deserved to wear it and I didn't think it represented my thoughts. The original idea came, of course, from the Toronto military surgeon and poet John McCrae and was inspired by the death of his friend Lieutenant Alexis Helmer, killed on 3 May 1915. "In Flanders fields the poppies blow/Between the crosses, row on row." But it's a propaganda poem, urging readers to "take up the quarrel with the foe". Bill Fisk eventually understood this and turned against it. He was right.

I've had my share of wars, and often return to the ancient Western Front. Three years ago, I was honoured to be invited to give the annual Armistice Day Western Front memorial speech at the rebuilt Cloth Hall in Ypres. The ghost of my long-dead 2nd Lieutenant Dad was, of course, in the audience. I quoted all my favourite Great War writers, along with the last words of Nurse Edith Cavell, and received, shortly afterwards, a wonderful and eloquent letter from the daughter of that fine Great War soldier Edmund Blunden. (Read his Undertones of War, if you do nothing else in life.) But I didn't wear a poppy. And I declined to lay a wreath at the Menin Gate. This was something of which I was not worthy. Instead, while they played the last post, I looked at the gravestones on the city walls.

As a young boy, I also went to Ypres with my Dad, stayed at the "Old Tom Hotel" (it is still there, on the same side of the square as the Cloth Hall) and met many other "old soldiers", all now dead. I remember that they wanted to remember their dead comrades. But above all, they wanted an end to war. But now I see these pathetic creatures with their little sand-pit poppies – I notice that our masters in the House of Commons do the same – and I despise them. Heaven be thanked that the soldiers of the Great War cannot return today to discover how their sacrifice has been turned into a fashion appendage.

I think the poppy appeal and the general feeling towards remeberance day has taken on more significance in the last few years particularly with the war in afghanistan and Iraq, and the regular news of British soldiers still going out there and getting killed. While of course you might get the odd aggressive daily mail reader who will think if you are not wearing a poppy you are insulting every dead soldier from every war, the precense of poppies on shirts is footballs way of showing its support and appreciation to those soldiers whove made the ultimate sacrifice and it shouldn't be seen as anything more or less than that.

Incidentally the French have a national holiday for armistice day on the 11th of november so I don't think we go over the top with this.

In 1976, Kettering Town was the first British club to have sponsors on the players’ shirts. The club's nickname is The Poppies, because the stadium was built on a former poppy field. The Poppies and Latics were the first clubs to wear poppies on their shirts for the F.A. Cup-tie in 2006, and other clubs followed the example from the 2007-08 season.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Which they will then sell on for a profit to the club. Yay! Well done Carbrini for trousering some cash so that a nonentity club from Northern England comply with the poppy fascism.

Just seen this by Robert Fisk - http://www.independe...ad-6257416.html

I don't buy them for a fashion appendage, I buy them to help those who served, currently serving now. To help them when they need it.

Whether young or elderly, injured, traumatised, need help to adapt to civvy street, help paying the bills, families they have left behind, whatever they need. Your pennies help.

That's why I buy a poppy and that's why I will honour the 11th day of the 11th hour of the 11th month and next Sunday, will watch the cenitaph ceremony and walk up to Tandle hills too

There is in the eternal realms

A great line of men

Who march along a long winding road

Their task is to collect the dead of ages

Taken from the ranks of the fallen

After midnight on the 30th May 2009

The great line halts

And a sergeant majors voice rings out

Not as on the parade ground

But in the solemn silence increased

The short command is given

‘Get fell in to the rear of the column’

2 soldiers take their place

Adjust their equipment

And calm their troubled expressions

These fallen 2 shoulder arms

And the great line of men

The dead of ages

Taken from the ranks of the fallen

Moves off at a slow march

Winding its way along the long winding road

Almost out of sight

The line visibly halts

And a sergeant major’s voice rings out

‘Get fell in to the rear of the column’

And we who mortals be

Strain to hear the sound of their marching feet

By Nigel Moffett Snr

Edited by underdog

Just seen this by Robert Fisk - http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-do-those-who-flaunt-the-poppy-on-their-lapels-know-that-they-mock-the-war-dead-6257416.html

What a crock of :censored: that is!

I don't look down on people who don't wear poppies, but to say those that do, wear it as fashion accessory is way more insulting.

What a crock of :censored: that is!

I don't look down on people who don't wear poppies, but to say those that do, wear it as fashion accessory is way more insulting.

I think it's good if football clubs can wear the poppy on their shirts. The club is usually a cornerstone for the community and might want to wear the poppy in support of the members of the club's community that have been effected.

That said, I find it very hard to believe, for example, that the contestants on X Factor last night individually made a concious decision to wear Poppies because of the symbolism behind it. This I just can't get on board with...

I think it's good if football clubs can wear the poppy on their shirts. The club is usually a cornerstone for the community and might want to wear the poppy in support of the members of the club's community that have been effected.

That said, I find it very hard to believe, for example, that the contestants on X Factor last night individually made a concious decision to wear Poppies because of the symbolism behind it. This I just can't get on board with...

Someone in wardrobe at the studio will be ensuring that a poppy is on everyone's outfit. The same goes for any TV show on in the next week. Anyone appearing on TV in the next week not wearing a poppy will have been filmed some time ago (more than 6 weeks).

OK buy a poppy, wear it and show your support for those who have lost their lives in wars and currently fighting in them, but don't wear a poppy just because you are on telly and someone is ensuring you have it on.

In less than a month its world AIDS day (December 1st) a lower percentage of people will have a red ribbon on telly that day and the week before, why is AIDS less worthy than the British Legion?

The idea people are wearing them as a fashion accessory is less than dumb...

I really do take issue with the "help the heroes" stuff that goes on. The idea that anyone who is going around killing people in the name of the "British Interest" is an hero never sits well with me... But these lads who are in the army are doing the governments and our doing, aiding the "British Interest" and I believe we should show respect to people doing a job I certainly wouldn't want to do but at the same time really does continue our way of life.. So I do support the poppy appeal to make up for the woeful support ex-service people get.

I bought my poppy, and I wear it, but I wouldn't say I wear one with pride... More of a heavy heart...

The idea that Latics should have special kits made for this sounds silly to me. Just give the money directly to British Legion if your going to do anything I say.

The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est Pro patria mori.

Edited by oafc0000

Is it the "stuff that goes on" that you dislike, or the term "heroes"?

Bit of both...

Why do we need the british legion and its overheads and help the heroes with its overheads... Its like having 100+ charities for breast cancer... One would be far more productive...

And yes, I take issue with the term "Heroes"...

Bit of both...

Why do we need the british legion and its overheads and help the heroes with its overheads... Its like having 100+ charities for breast cancer... One would be far more productive...

And yes, I take issue with the term "Heroes"...

One day your kid might be under the illusion you are his/her hero.....poor sod.

Will you take issue with your child?

One day your kid might be under the illusion you are his/her hero.....poor sod.

Will you take issue with your child?

Textbook illogical statement. What the hell has his child got to do with it?

Argue the issue in hand, not somebody's kid that has no relevance to the subject whatsoever.