Exposed

What if Taylor actually is a good player?

Agree he's a bit off the boil of late but I'd say his performances have been solid rather than poor. He's not really doing much wrong I feel, maybe trying to do a bit too much trying to beat players and it not working out but apart from that I think we'd miss his play if he was out of the team.

Anyone who has heard Chris speak in normal conversation would probably concur that 'shut the f up' and ' f off' are the only vocabulary that he has in his head - which explains why he has been piss poor this season and the most part of the past 3-4 seasons - has pace but no end product and too thick to mark his man as opposed to giving him a 30-yard head start before bothering to get near him or track back.

Oldham fan or not, whilst I am sure he does mean well and cares, his performances have been below par for 3 years now. I hope PD has not bought into the 'he is an Oldham fan so if i drop him o'll get lynched' party line, cos he certainly is and should be - if PD has then that says a lot about his managerial credentials long term.

When you look at the work Simpson puts in as well as Wes on the most part and Kuqi, Taylor is nowhere near.

If he leaves in the summer i honestly would not care either way whether he stays or not - he is past his best now, as those teams who once chased him will now have realised and would also have seen that he has pace but no football brain in regards to the runs he makes, anticipation of play (10 yards behind a quick one two with Macini on tuesday) and end product.

All huff and puff from Chris - i'd stick Mellor left wing to allow him to attack and cross for us with his left foot and have Simmo/Parker/Scapuzzi on the right when all available - like Morais but admit he is poor defensively and is patently not fit - 2 pitch-length counter attacks at Carlisle saw him blowing after 5 mins; he needs to get fit by either extra training or by being given games beacue he does have the ability.

Buck yourself up Chris or clear off - your neither use nor ornament at the moment.

I feel like I am on a manhunt now and I am really not............. Taylor needs to buck his ideas up. I have spent several transfer deadline days hoping we dont sell him for £500k and right now I would accept £50K.

Dont agree he has been off the pace for 3 years, I thought he was good last season and dreaded transfer deadline day, however this season he has been :censored:e for me.

Did we win today and if so how? because if we were so bad as some people were making out in the 2nd half we must have played like a hybrid of Barcelona of today The Dutch of 1974 and Brazil of 1970 in the 1st half to have come out of the game with a 3-1 win. Just asking because I wasn't at the game today am abit surprised by some of the comments on this thread.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Where were we in the league then as I know we stayed up by the skin of our teeth but can't remember how we were doing in the league in Jan?

New Year's Bank Holiday before the City Cup Win we were 15th after a 0-0 draw at Colchester (so round about where we are now)

After 17 games we were 19th after the 2-0 defeat at Torquay

On the Taylor debate, he probably is due for dropping given the options we have, chances are however that when he is we'll probably understand more about what he is gives the team ~ amazing how many players reputations are enhanced when they are NOT on the pitch, suspect it would be the same re Taylor.

Yep, cause we really caused em problems in the second half didnt we.

I didn't suggest for a minute that we did cause them problems second half. I took exception to your opinion that Dean Furman "had a shocker" yesterday. It's only my personal opinion but I thought he had a pretty decent game. Cast your mind back to how crap our midfield was earlier in the season when he was out injured. First name on the team sheet for me...

Did we win today and if so how? because if we were so bad as some people were making out in the 2nd half we must have played like a hybrid of Barcelona of today The Dutch of 1974 and Brazil of 1970 in the 1st half to have come out of the game with a 3-1 win. Just asking because I wasn't at the game today am abit surprised by some of the comments on this thread.

We were as comfortable as we've been all season in the first half (partly due to Kuqi running through brick walls and us looking dangerous whenever we got forward, and partly due to Burton being terrible). As we've done before we sat back on our 3-goal lead in the second half and then panicked when Burton started getting back into the game, but it was nowhere near as bad as some people are making out.

Furman was easily man of the match, in the first half all the moves, passes and attacking went through him and deserved him goal.

As for Taylor, because of how dangerous he can be he always is closed down and double marked, when he escaped them he did well, and that allows people like Simpson and furman to attack. Shouldn't be dropped, but should put more effort in to get some space

Furman was easily man of the match, in the first half all the moves, passes and attacking went through him and deserved him goal.

As for Taylor, because of how dangerous he can be he always is closed down and double marked, when he escaped them he did well, and that allows people like Simpson and furman to attack. Shouldn't be dropped, but should put more effort in to get some space

= not putting in the required effort = needs to be dropped.

I will backtrack slightly on what i said regards his form being crap for 3 seasons - he was somewhere near his best for the last quarter of last season, but his overall displays and end-product for the team have been very poor this season and the season prior to last.

He needs dropping to shake the arrogance out of him, to try and get a reality check and buck himself up and it would also be interesting to see how we would play without him for 3-4 games.

Everyone said we'd miss Reid whilst he has been out - he should be nowhere near the team given what Simpson and Scapuzzi give us - i think Reid back in would destroy that and slow our general play down - and that's coming from someone who has been a big fan of his turnaround this season..................

Edited by shefflatic

Looking at the whole picture there are no real streaks of consistency to speak of however Oldham can win games this season, anyone who sat through a game two seasons ago will know this alone is a nice change (Norwich away? *shudder*). Latics can also boast a goal scoring threat with their talismanic goalscorer Kuqi revitalising the front line. Let us also consider there's a bit of cup interest in two competitions this season.

Enjoy it, and don't pick it apart. In this age with the current climate, you can only have it so good, and you can't have it all.

Shame we couldn't hang onto Evina. He looked good today, as I dipped in and out of the Charlton v Halifax game.

Evina was no better than he ever was defensively. IMO

In fact he seemed to have gone backwards since he left here. Especially when you consider the opposition.

Looking at the whole picture there are no real streaks of consistency to speak of however Oldham can win games this season, anyone who sat through a game two seasons ago will know this alone is a nice change (Norwich away? *shudder*). Latics can also boast a goal scoring threat with their talismanic goalscorer Kuqi revitalising the front line. Let us also consider there's a bit of cup interest in two competitions this season.

Enjoy it, and don't pick it apart. In this age with the current climate, you can only have it so good, and you can't have it all.

Completely agree Rummy. People on here have lost sight of this fact, particularly in this thread.

Yeah, we weren't too shabby yesterday, and given the financial state of the club, having to strip the budget further and rely more heavily on loan signings things could easily have been so much different. Had we not picked up Kuqi, who by the way was a bit of a gamble given what happened when we signed the likes of Windass in recent years, we'd have been firmly entrenched in the relegation zone right now. Things are good right now, our season is very much alive and we have a great chance of progressing in two cup comps. Plus, it's pleasing to see we have a decent goal threat even if we still harbour heart-attack stuff at the back.

Onto yesterday, I thought Simpson nailed a MOM display. Got a bit fortunate with his goal but he was a real threat and Burton couldn't live with him. He was closely followed by the busy Furman, and Weselowski who put himself about. Keiron Lee is turning into Mr Consistant and Mvoto was a rock at the back, only let down by the liability that was Mellor. He's a young lad though, his first season and will be prone to that. Don't forget, Lee looked equally as unsure in his first few games at full back but has blossomed and is now probably our most saleable asset by far.

Chris Taylor. Hmm, I think he's found his level now. he's an average L1 player, certainly not got what it takes in toughness, fibre and quality needed to succeed at Championship level. Too many of his balls find an opposing player. He struggles to use guile to get past a defender choosing to pretty much run straight at his man, which sometimes comes off but far more often leads to him squandering possession cheaply. Add to this his tarty flailing of the arms whenever someone uses a modicum of physicality against him and he just ends up annoying me when I'm watching him. That said, he does chip in with goals usually, so just about worth his place in the side. But only just about.

I felt sorry for Mellor yesterday, he had a poor game, he knew that and Taylor was definitely at fault for leaving him too exposed. Their winger had a great game and was quite a thorn in our side, even when Black was on. But Taylor should have been tracking back far more.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Evina was no better than he ever was defensively. IMO

In fact he seemed to have gone backwards since he left here. Especially when you consider the opposition.

He's barely made the match-day squad this season at Charlton and if that was not his debut it was close to it as a few weeks ago he'd yet to play….

Completely agree Rummy. People on here have lost sight of this fact, particularly in this thread.

Yeah, we weren't too shabby yesterday, and given the financial state of the club, having to strip the budget further and rely more heavily on loan signings things could easily have been so much different. Had we not picked up Kuqi, who by the way was a bit of a gamble given what happened when we signed the likes of Windass in recent years, we'd have been firmly entrenched in the relegation zone right now. Things are good right now, our season is very much alive and we have a great chance of progressing in two cup comps. Plus, it's pleasing to see we have a decent goal threat even if we still harbour heart-attack stuff at the back.

I agree about Kuqi, I was more intrigued rather than jumping round the room when he signed, he brought much needed experience but very few goals in the previous two or three years. I thought he'd do a job but like I said the other night never in my wildest dreams think he'd be into double figures by the time the bonfires were being damped down. The criticisms of the team are justified imo, yes we've a lot of inexperience out there but time and again they do not learn from past experience. If they'd got a second goal yesterday than that game was going to anybody's, as it happened they didn't (thanks to linos flag) and to be fair we have only blown a winning position TWICE this season - both against Carlisle, but the tendency to try and cruise with a 2 or 3 goal lead is suicidal, as we are simply not good enough. The performance against Crewe should be the benchmark, keep going for the jugular and see the game out.

Onto yesterday, I thought Simpson nailed a MOM display. Got a bit fortunate with his goal but he was a real threat and Burton couldn't live with him. He was closely followed by the busy Furman, and Weselowski who put himself about. Keiron Lee is turning into Mr Consistant and Mvoto was a rock at the back, only let down by the liability that was Mellor. He's a young lad though, his first season and will be prone to that. Don't forget, Lee looked equally as unsure in his first few games at full back but has blossomed and is now probably our most saleable asset by far.

Wesolowski was my mom, he was everywhere, won the ball back time and again and a thorn in Burton's side all afternoon. Mellor as I've said, is being hung out to dry by his manager, he should either be further up the field (but God forbid Taylor being dropped) or in the centre. For me he needs a rest and when he comes back into the set-up it is not as a left-back, Dickov has a decision to make, he either backs Black or signs a loanee before the end of month deadline

Chris Taylor. Hmm, I think he's found his level now. he's an average L1 player, certainly not got what it takes in toughness, fibre and quality needed to succeed at Championship level. Too many of his balls find an opposing player. He struggles to use guile to get past a defender choosing to pretty much run straight at his man, which sometimes comes off but far more often leads to him squandering possession cheaply. Add to this his tarty flailing of the arms whenever someone uses a modicum of physicality against him and he just ends up annoying me when I'm watching him. That said, he does chip in with goals usually, so just about worth his place in the side. But only just about.

Taylor time and again lets himself get crowded out by drifting inside, whe he stayed out wide and hit the byline against Wycombe he put in a great cross that Wes scored from, he should watch Simpson he (and Morais would learn a lot about end product)

I felt sorry for Mellor yesterday, he had a poor game, he knew that and Taylor was definitely at fault for leaving him too exposed. Their winger had a great game and was quite a thorn in our side, even when Black was on. But Taylor should have been tracking back far more.

Taylor a few times over the last month or so has preferred to bollock young David instead of being a senior pro supporting a young kid. Taylor was lucky, when he made his debut he had David Eyres in front of him, then Simon Charlton behind him, he'd do well to remember that he is now a senior pro after nearly six years in the team.

Edited by oafcprozac