Latics 5 - 2 Shez

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RobbieSimmo Robbie Simpson

Overwhelmed by all ur msgs tweeps! Obviously delighted with the #hattrick & #3pts #oafc ☺. I ♥ my team! Off to bed now for me #tonsilitus ☹

From twitter, nice indication that he may well want to stay.

Lovely

WArren Feeney look and learn how to how to write on twitter, son!

I don't think we will go up for be even in the playoffs, that said there's usually teams like Millwall/Colchester who prove that you don't need a top squad to go up, just a first team that gels, who can get enough points at home against the teams who you should be beating, whilst getting decent away results that they manage to get enough to be in with a shout. This is only our 3rd league win in 9 games, so let's just put that into perspective, our consistency in the league is far from there. Brentford and Bury at home were winnable games, as was Tranmere away. Carlisle we threw away also. Long way to go yet and a lot of improving to do before we talk about a playoff challenge. A top 12 finish and a decent cup run is what I'm hoping for.

Could we make the play-offs? Yes, we could.

Will we? Probably not. I thought their first goal was a particularly soft one and highlighted our defensive frailties. Not as soft as Simpson's third goal though :grin:. Getting the defence settled and working as a unit is the key.

Chesterfield were very poor at the back. Not bad at the other end though.

Completely agree. Living in Scotland I don't get to too many games, but I remember the latter part of last season when we just could not score Dickov continually saying we're doing the right things but just not quite enough and not being too convinced. However our goalscoring record this season is excellent, and I really do believe we have a good chance of getting on a good run of form and pushing on, if we can tighten up defensively, and continue banging them in. I seriously hope we can do a deal for Simpson, seen him twice this year and I really do believe he can become a Latics great, and he seems to love playing here. Even if it doesn't happen this year, stick with Dickov, as I believe he's showing that money is not TOO much of a hindrance if the mentality is there. KtF, OWTB.

Edited by Microcuts

I bet on us winning 3-0. I knew it was too much to ask!!

I lost my quid on Kuqi first goal/4-1 win Latics double,

Couldn't believe as we were coming out that someone was picking up at the bookies! Possibly a punt on Lee first goal? Surely not a correct score prediction!

I lost my quid on Kuqi first goal/4-1 win Latics double,

Couldn't believe as we were coming out that someone was picking up at the bookies! Possibly a punt on Lee first goal? Surely not a correct score prediction!

Maybe just a punt on a latics victory....i think we were about even money.

How stingy are the first scorer odds though?

I'm not saying we can't push for the play offs BUT lets not get carried away after beating one of the worst teams to play at Boundary Park. We've just won 3 games on a trot for the first time in 2 years and they've all been league 2 standard teams. The real test will come against the likes of Charlton and Huddersfield away. It is nice to see some great football back at home though.

It should have been more goals for us today and less for them but 5-2 we can't complain can we! When was the last time we scored 5? My first game was 5-2 against Charlton in 1994 and I can't recall any since.

Best wins of the season

10/11 Hartlepool (H) W4-0 1/2/11

09/10 W2-0 v Carlisle (H), Brighton (A), Exeter (H), Leyton Orient (H)

08/09 W4-0 v Cheltenham (H) & Hereford (H)

07/08 W4-1 v Huddersfield (H) & Crewe (A)

06/07 W5-0 v Forest (H) 1/1/07

05/06 W4-1 v Chesterfield (H) & Bradford (A)

04/05 W4-0 v Leyton Orient (H) FAC (W5-3 v Walsall (H)

03/04 W6-0 v Grimsby (H)

02/03 W6-1 v Mansfield (H)

01/02 W4-0 v Bury (H)

00/01 W5-1 v Wrexham (H)

99/00 W4-0 v Chelmsford (H) FAC

98.99 W3-0 v Blackpool (H)

97/98 W3-0 v Wrexham (H)

96/97 W5-1 v Swindon (H)

95/96 W4-0 v Birmingham (H)

94/95 W5-2 v Charlton (H)

93/94 W4-1 v QPR (H)

92/93 W6-2 v Wimbledon (H), Also W5-3 v Forest (H)

91/92 W7-1 v Torquay LC (H) Also W5-1 v Luton Town (H)

90/91 W6-1 v Brighton, W5-3 v Plymouth

89/90 W 7-0 v Scarborough (H) (LC)

88/89 W4-0 v Birmingham (H) & Ipswich (H) & W5-3 v Portsmouth

87/88 W 5-0 v Sheff Utd (A), W5-1 v Stoke (H)

86/87 W4-0 v Reading (H)

Edited by oafcprozac

I do my betting on Paddy Power on my phone cos its easier. Furman to score first was 14/1 I think so I took a guess on that too. Not sure what 3-0 would of got me, can't remember.

Something different, I put £1 on Phil Jones to score first for England and it was 40/1 so maybe Lee to score first was 30/1 - 40/1. Wish id got to the game now!!

Best wins of the season

10/11 Hartlepool (H) W4-0 1/2/11

09/10 W2-0 v Carlisle (H), Brighton (A), Exeter (H), Leyton Orient (H)

08/09 W4-0 v Cheltenham (H) & Hereford (H)

07/08 W4-1 v Huddersfield (H) & Crewe (A)

06/07 W5-0 v Forest (H) 1/1/07

05/06 W4-1 v Chesterfield (H) & Bradford (A)

04/05 W4-0 v Leyton Orient (H) FAC (W5-3 v Walsall (H)

03/04 W6-0 v Grimsby (H)

02/03 W6-1 v Mansfield (H)

01/02 W4-0 v Bury (H)

00/01 W5-1 v Wrexham (H)

99/00 W4-0 v Chelmsford (H) FAC

98.99 W3-0 v Blackpool (H)

97/98 W3-0 v Wrexham (H)

96/97 W5-1 v Swindon (H)

95/96 W4-0 v Birmingham (H)

94/95 W5-2 v Charlton (H)

93/94 W4-1 v QPR (H)

92/93 W6-2 v Wimbledon (H), Also W5-3 v Forest (H)

91/92 W7-1 v Torquay LC (H) Also W5-1 v Luton Town (H)

90/91 W6-1 v Brighton, W5-3 v Plymouth

89/90 W 7-0 v Scarborough (H) (LC)

88/89 W4-0 v Birmingham (H) & Ipswich (H) & W5-3 v Portsmouth

87/88 W 5-0 v Sheff Utd (A), W5-1 v Stoke (H)

86/87 W4-0 v Reading (H)

That 09/10 season was a goal frenzy wasn't it. Dangerous Dave's dynamos.

I do my betting on Paddy Power on my phone cos its easier. Furman to score first was 14/1 I think so I took a guess on that too. Not sure what 3-0 would of got me, can't remember.

Something different, I put £1 on Phil Jones to score first for England and it was 40/1 so maybe Lee to score first was 30/1 - 40/1. Wish id got to the game now!!

My first scorer bet in the last two home games have lasted a total of less than 10 mins!......these early goals are ok if you've been lucky enough to pick the scorer.....but i'm bobins at it :disappointed:

Apparently Chesterfield almost started with too many loan players.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/chesterfield/full_time_oldham_5_chesterfield_2_1_3986958

There was a bit of a flap ahead of kick-off. Spireites’ nominated line-up included six loan players, with Lee Johnson on the bench, and the error was spotted by the Green’Un correspondent, who dashed down to the visiting dressing room to point out the error which could have led to a problem and a fine later on down the line. Simon Ford was quickly called up to replace Johnson on the bench.

Apparently Chesterfield almost started with too many loan players.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/chesterfield/full_time_oldham_5_chesterfield_2_1_3986958

During the pre match warm up I noticed Chesterfield had 26 players on the pitch - maybe a case of too many spoil the broth. :blink:

Edited by BP1960

I'm not saying we can't push for the play offs BUT lets not get carried away after beating one of the worst teams to play at Boundary Park. We've just won 3 games on a trot for the first time in 2 years and they've all been league 2 standard teams. The real test will come against the likes of Charlton and Huddersfield away. It is nice to see some great football back at home though.

It should have been more goals for us today and less for them but 5-2 we can't complain can we! When was the last time we scored 5? My first game was 5-2 against Charlton in 1994 and I can't recall any since.

We beat Nottingham Forest a few years ago 5 0

Great to score 5 goals etc.

But I have to think that we will fall short of the play-offs this season as mentioned already - defense is still flaky; Simpson (one of of our better players) may not be here after another few weeks; and we are still too inconsistent. I may be pleasantly surprised, but I think an entertaining season and about 8-10th spot will be it - hopefully with some fun the cup(s)

Great to score 5 goals etc.

But I have to think that we will fall short of the play-offs this season as mentioned already - defense is still flaky; Simpson (one of of our better players) may not be here after another few weeks; and we are still too inconsistent. I may be pleasantly surprised, but I think an entertaining season and about 8-10th spot will be it - hopefully with some fun the cup(s)

Me too on that front.

All I wanted this season was progression and improvement on last season's final league standing, and a good cup run in 1 of the comps. So far, it looks like that is achievable.

We have too small a squad IMO to maintain & mount a serious promotion push. As has been seen a few times this season, 1 or 2 injuries start to bite and we just don't have a real strength in depth in the squad to make almost like for like replacements.

We're doing well at present - it's certainly entertaining stuff. We just leak too many goals & seem to struggle to close out games from winning positions, and that has already cost us & will continue to IMO.

Cracking result though on Sat - without ever really hitting top gear we managed to score 5 and win pretty easily all told, with 1 or 2 outstanding individual performances to boot.