Stadium redevelopment

It's all gone quiet regarding the stadium redevelopment, has anyone any idea what's happening ?

It crossed my mind now that Clegg Street railway warehouse has gone near Park Road a new stadium there might be a possibility, especially if Matalan relocated.

Edited by BP1960

It's all gone quiet regarding the stadium redevelopment, has anyone any idea what's happening ?

It crossed my mind now that Clegg Street railway warehouse has gone on Park Road a new stadium there might be a possibility, especially if Matalan relocated.

It has gone quiet BP1960, is there a chance of an update from the club... Barry ( Cough). :)

To be fair, I think a number of factors have meant things have not progressed

Stadium Developmetn takes an age anyway

Alan Hardy retiring will have stalled things a tad (obviuosly I am not saying it was him on his own doing it)

Barry doing two Director roles will not help

It has been Christmas so things shut down in plannig and building trades

It's been a busy Christmas period playing wise

The Liverpool game will have taken a lot to orgnaise

The aftermath of the Liverpool game would have deflected things somewhat

But apart from that....

It crossed my mind now that Clegg Street railway warehouse has gone near Park Road a new stadium there might be a possibility, especially if Matalan relocated.

Won't happen. Either BP is to be re-developed, or we can pull the plug on selling the failsworth land to council and build there now the charity commission said it can be built on.

It's crossed my mind too.

This site has all of the boxes ticked now that the warehouse has been demolished.

Good central location for metro, bus and road links:

Easy walking distance from planned metro stops in Union St

Could even have it's own dedicated metro line if the existing track to Mumps station isn't removed when the Union Street one opens.

Very close to the bypass and roads in all other directions.

Central location would give a new stadium a true yr round income option by incorporating:

All those leisure facilities that are planned for the town but never happen.

More Office space.

Maybe the 6th Form college/Campus Oldham could use it as a location for sports or leisure type courses.

Conference facilities

etc etc

A new stadium visible from the bypass would give the council one of those status Gateways to Oldham that they're always going on about.

Bigger than the BP site (nowhere near as big as Failsworth so no footy pitches - who needs them when you have a town centre location):

Room for parking on site. There is also the option of extra parking in the barely used (especially at match times) Clegg St multistory.

Been suggesting this for years, and a friend of mine that used to work for OMBC said the site has been looked at before, personally I don't think the close proximity to Glodvick helps much tbh, don't think the 5 0 would want hundreds of pissed up home/away fans ending up down there, although that shouldn't be an issue, it would be a fantastic site.

It goes back to having no brass tho dunt it, altho the sale of BP would pay for it? Sell the naming rights to Toyota, job done!

There are asian areas near BP as well.

I live near Watford and away supporters (train travellers and many car parkers) walk through the town centre to get to the ground which is in the middle of a predominantly asain area. No probs as far as I know (except for me when I've been to watch Latics and after the game have been routed by police round the back streets to the station when I wanted to go in the opposite direction :) )

Edited by laticsrblue

Luton is an example of a ground in a heavily asian populated area. Im not sure the tensions of past are the same down there as what they face in Oldham? It shouldnt be a problem but we all know it probably would be.

Far worse in Luton. EDL started there

Won't happen. Either BP is to be re-developed, or we can pull the plug on selling the failsworth land to council and build there now the charity commission said it can be built on.

It was decided a while back that Failsworth was no longer the preferred option, even after we found out we could build on it afterall

Alan Hardy once said that the retail park was owned by a private company who would want a great deal of money for it. If it was a site that had been looked at by the club, surely they would have found out exactly how much it would cost to buy. I'm sure whoever owns it would be glad to get rid of it, as only one of the building is in use by Matalan. The other buildings have stood empty for years.

I have heard that the council has received a very good offer for the land on which the warehouse stood, hence the sudden need to demolish it. If that is true, then any remote chance of building a new ground their will have gone.

• 1 month later...

haven't we finally decided to stay at BP though? unless they come out and say now that land is avaliable and we've got plans and funding for it, i'd rather stay at BP and redevleop the ground affordably

Not exactly any progress to report, but the fact that Corney is optimistic is something to cling on to.

Chron: Grounds for optimism

I think cling on to is the right phrase, i didn't detect anything concrete in that report.

Obviously funding is still the major stumbling block.

I seem to recall Simon Corney saying it would cost around £7m to build a new main stand on the Broadway side of the ground. We've got £700k from the council but, even if they scale the plans back, it still leaves a lot of funding to raise!

"Hope is the elevating feeling we experience when se see--in the mind's eye--a path to a better future."

JEROME GROOPMAN, The Anatomy of Hope

The interview told us nowt really, apart from this time there's a councillor, who takes his phone to bed with him and will talk to SC, unlike some of the previous chaps.

There's still no commitment from anyone, no figures, no dates and looks like no plans to start building a new stand - (I wonder if Ryder and Dutton and Holroy Developments are any further forward in their future plans??!!?)