Marty Smith

I reckon he deserves a run in the team....5 mins here and there is not the way. Whenever he comes off the bench we are always chasing the game and to expect him to change the course of a game on his own in just a few minutes is a little unfair.

Kuqi should be head and shoulders above most in this division but sadly he is not. If it wasn't for the goal burst on his arrival he would be on the bench at best, if Smith is good enough for the bench he is good enough to start a game or two!

We have missed Reid who was on the field during most of Kuqi's purple patch but I can't see him being back to full fitness until mid March at the earliest.

One thing is certain we need more of a presence in the opponents penalty area as 47 shots against Chesterfield over two legs producing just one goal tells a story.

Sorry dont agree, would always pick Kuqi over Smith. Smith is not the answer.

Don't get me wrong, Kuqi has gone off the boil recently but last night I thought he caused Chesterfield a lot of problems at the back and was unlucky with a couple of chances.

For me I would like to have someone pacey playing off Kuqi so we can try and get in behind a bit more. 2nd half there were a lot of long balls over the top but we didnt have the pace to get there first.

Get a forward along side Kuqi. Then start playing football to create clear goal scoring opportunities. Yes 40 odd attempts at goal over the two legs. how many on target? and more importantly how many shots from within side the penalty spot?

Get a forward along side Kuqi. Then start playing football to create clear goal scoring opportunities. Yes 40 odd attempts at goal over the two legs. how many on target? and more importantly how many shots from within side the penalty spot?

Agreed Lags (see my post on goal poachers).

I reckon he deserves a run in the team....5 mins here and there is not the way. Whenever he comes off the bench we are always chasing the game and to expect him to change the course of a game on his own in just a few minutes is a little unfair.

Kuqi should be head and shoulders above most in this division but sadly he is not. If it wasn't for the goal burst on his arrival he would be on the bench at best, if Smith is good enough for the bench he is good enough to start a game or two!

We have missed Reid who was on the field during most of Kuqi's purple patch but I can't see him being back to full fitness until mid March at the earliest.

One thing is certain we need more of a presence in the opponents penalty area as 47 shots against Chesterfield over two legs producing just one goal tells a story.

Can't hurt to give it a go. The "bring Smith on when nothing else is working" tactic has become all too predictable....

Might do Shefqi some good to have a bit of break.

Sorry to say it but Smith is :censored:. He's not going to make it as a footballer.

Throwing him into the starting line-up would be a very dangerous move as our league position becomes increasingly precarious.

Sorry to say it but Smith is :censored:. He's not going to make it as a footballer.

Throwing him into the starting line-up would be a very dangerous move as our league position becomes increasingly precarious.

there are lots of examples of "Smith Types" who have made decent careers for themselves - the big man up top if you will.

I think Smith has a chance of a career in the pro-game long-term - but he needs to kick on; and in fairness to the lad - he's not going to do that with 2min cameos here & there.

He needs pro-games......now, if that isn't going to be with us; then he needs a loan move; to a L2 or Blue Square side.

He's not the answer to all our scoring problems immediately; but i wouldn't write him off yet - nor would i say he's :censored:e either

there are lots of examples of "Smith Types" who have made decent careers for themselves - the big man up top if you will.

I think Smith has a chance of a career in the pro-game long-term - but he needs to kick on; and in fairness to the lad - he's not going to do that with 2min cameos here & there.

He needs pro-games......now, if that isn't going to be with us; then he needs a loan move; to a L2 or Blue Square side.

He's not the answer to all our scoring problems immediately; but i wouldn't write him off yet - nor would i say he's :censored:e either

Maybe I'll be wrong about him - I hope I am - but I'd put money on him not being with a league club in three years' time.

He doesn't have a footballing brain; doesn't put himself about enough and, for such a big lad, is not very good in the air.

I agree he should go out on loan, I've been saying that for ages.

Maybe I'll be wrong about him - I hope I am - but I'd put money on him not being with a league club in three years' time.

He doesn't have a footballing brain; doesn't put himself about enough and, for such a big lad, is not very good in the air.

I agree he should go out on loan, I've been saying that for ages.

If he learnt to head the ball down he'd be in double figures. The problem with Smith is he's only getting ten minutes here and there, he needs a run. Dickov showed faith enough to sign him, he needs to show faith enough to play him now, Two games at the start of the season without a midfield was not enough. Pair him with Parker and give Kuqi a chance to refocus until Reid is deemed match-fit. - oh and get the wingers to cross the :censored:ing ball!!! That'd be a start…..

If he learnt to head the ball down he'd be in double figures. The problem with Smith is he's only getting ten minutes here and there, he needs a run. Dickov showed faith enough to sign him, he needs to show faith enough to play him now, Two games at the start of the season without a midfield was not enough. Pair him with Parker and give Kuqi a chance to refocus until Reid is deemed match-fit. - oh and get the wingers to cross the :censored:ing ball!!! That'd be a start…..

Connor Hughes anyone? Looks to have good delivery from the times i've watched him. He's a tad lightweight, but has decent pace, and he's a winger who wants to get chalk on his boots.

Then where does that leave Simpson if we get a forward alongside Kuqi?

And 22 on target..

Then where does that leave Simpson if we get a forward alongside Kuqi?

And 22 on target..

Attacking midfielder behind the front 2, PD would have to change his formation though and seems reluctant to do so unless chasing games.

Smith is :censored:e, yeah he's a big lad but he is so slow. Even when hes made a decent first touch he loses it because his feet are soooo slow. Looks like he is underwater when he runs and misses simple chances.

Is there no nibble nippy young striker in the youth team. Jesus I'd half wolfy over Smith.

Smith is :censored:e, yeah he's a big lad but he is so slow. Even when hes made a decent first touch he loses it because his feet are soooo slow. Looks like he is underwater when he runs and misses simple chances.

Is there no nibble nippy young striker in the youth team. Jesus I'd half wolfy over Smith.

I'm sorry to say there isn't.

Edited by BP1960

Some of the criticism of smith in this thread is totally unjust. If we play to his potential strengths he will be a valuable asset. Give him a string of games. Time for Dickov to show faith in him like he has done with Kuqi.

Edited by welshgaz