Dickov and Young Blood

Before you reply with the season isn't over playoff push / relegation worries type posts please note I know it's not!

Dickov has over the last 18 months shown he is not frightened to give the youngsters a chance where possible, Bembo, Brooke, Tarky, Winchester, Mellor and Miller all given starts before most fans thought he would. The one area that worries me is his tendency, barring Tarky, of not giving them enough of a chance to shine. Winchester for example was thrown in at back end of last season in a very unfamiliar RM berth and then at Scunny after a woeful perfomance at Yeovil in Central midfield, with Mellor starting on the left in the same game. Since the couple of starts he made and the poor performance he put in at RB in the absense of Lee he has hardly featured even on the bench despite his ability to play in any number of positions. I personally think the young lad has a massive future, very composed on the ball and bags of technical ability. The same goes for Mellor, who despite not being comfortable at Left Back surely has to be given a run of 10+ games at LB if Dickov doesn't want to play him in the middle which appears obvious given his desire to play anyone, recently Tayls, before giving what potentially could be our best CM a chance to shine. Fulham bid an alleged £300k off the back of reserve and Youth team games where the lad played mostly CM or at the heart of the defence for no reason whatsover?? I think not.

Surely the time has come to give two of the best prospects we've produced for 10+ years a chance to play in a very average division, especially at a time when for all the nice build up play we severly lack a cutting edge, final ball and a LOT of composure.

Latics youngsters are given the opportunity to play at first team level and push for a place.

The bottom line is that most just simply are not good enough.

Not sure about this. Winchester did well in centre mid for me. There was a game when the opposition went down to 10 think it was fake an he played really well, dropping deep to pick up the ball and get attacks going. I'm also a major fan of mellor and still believe he should of been given more games at lb. His composure on the ball is something We need. can only assume neither do enough in training to get get back in the team.

Not sure about this. Winchester did well in centre mid for me. There was a game when the opposition went down to 10 think it was fake an he played really well, dropping deep to pick up the ball and get attacks going. I'm also a major fan of mellor and still believe he should of been given more games at lb. His composure on the ball is something We need. can only assume neither do enough in training to get get back in the team.

Maybe Dickov is put off picking him because he runs like a girl :grin:

The same goes for Mellor, who despite not being comfortable at Left Back surely has to be given a run of 10+ games at LB if Dickov doesn't want to play him in the middle which appears obvious given his desire to play anyone, recently Tayls, before giving what potentially could be our best CM a chance to shine. Fulham bid an alleged £300k off the back of reserve and Youth team games where the lad played mostly CM or at the heart of the defence for no reason whatsover?? I think not.

Well, the Fulham bid is unconfirmed, so I'm not sure I'd place to much reliance on that. And if he's not good at left back, why give him a run there that might damage his confidence? I agree with your general point but our two most promising youngsters not currently in the team (Winchester and Mellor) arguably have our best first team players ahead of them, so it's going to be difficult to justify dropping someone for them. I'd possibly have let Adeyemi go back and played one of them instead, but I assume Dickov is seeing something in training or reserve games that we're not.

I think Dickov has managed youth development very well so far. Not seen much of Millar so can't judge him and barring horrendous luck with injuries I think Bembo and Brooke would be very close to the 1st team rather than being close to being let go, so can't judge Dickov on those three. Tarky is going to get a run in the team now but hasn't had that many games up until now, both Winchester and Mellor have had runs in the team in the last 18 months but have also had long periods out of it. From what I've seen all three have great potential to play at this level or above but taking into account the 2nd half of last season and the potentially harmful effect on the players that regular 1st team play could have on them, I think Dickov needed to rely mainly on more experienced players in the 1st half of this season to keep us away from the drop. Saying that, hopefully now is the time to bring Winchester and Mellor back into the 1st team along with Tarky.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Well, the Fulham bid is unconfirmed, so I'm not sure I'd place to much reliance on that. And if he's not good at left back, why give him a run there that might damage his confidence? I agree with your general point but our two most promising youngsters not currently in the team (Winchester and Mellor) arguably have our best first team players ahead of them, so it's going to be difficult to justify dropping someone for them. I'd possibly have let Adeyemi go back and played one of them instead, but I assume Dickov is seeing something in training or reserve games that we're not.

IMO no one in the reserves has really pushed their claim, PD hasn't many options.

Edited by BP1960

If he thought they were good enough, they'd have played - If not they won't!

That's it really - he (PD) sees them in training every day, he knows them, their ability, their temperament & their relative merit against others infinitely more than we do as fans; who see them only on the odd cameo appearances here & there.

He obviously felt that, even though Tarky had done well at the back end of last season, that we needed more options at CB, and so Nathan Clarke was brought in. Same with Carl Winchester & David Mellor too really; they've both done well enough when they played in the midfield; but PD brought in Tom Adeyemi. Now, right or wrong; Clarke & Adeyemi have stopped our own youngsters from getting games…….whether we'd have better suited in playing our lads over them is open to debate, but PD obviously felt it was the better road to go down - and as he's he the manager; it's his prerogative.

IMO - of the current youngsters, based on pure ability at present - for me; only Tarky and Mellor warrant places in the side; with Carl Winchester in & around the squad. I happen to think that, whilst Clarke did well & showed himself to be a competent League 1 defender; he wasn't head & shoulders better than Tarky…….and whilst we did have injuries at CB; we could have coped without the loan move with what we had. Same for Tom Adeyemi vs David Mellor in the midfield. Tom has done OK during his loan; but only that for me; namely 'OK'*. I don't think we'd have seen a real difference had Mellor played the number of games Tom has, again they IMO would offer similar on the pitch.

I thought that this season would have been a kick-on one for Winchester after his showing at the back-end of last season. It's not worked out like that yet; but he has potential for sure.

I'm not sure the others have it in them to fully "make it"….Millar looks to me like he just lacks that final 'bit' to fully step-up, Carr has been consistently overlooked & there must be a reason why…McGrath has been injured far too much, and Hughes is an bit of an unknown quantity - whenever I've seen him in the reserves he's looked a decent winger who hugs the line & gets crossed in; but he is so slight / lightweight / weedy almost, and I think he'd be smashed out of games in L1…….

Both Brooke & Bembo-Lita have been massively unlucky with their injuries, but from the outside looking in, as a fan, it looks to me like they will be gone; dropping down the leagues to the lower reaches a la Hyde or Ashton or BP's beloved 'Bloods, rather than kicking on with us in L1.

.* - He's looked so better playing as a RB than he has at CM - I think long-term he's better suited in that position.

Mellors omission might be more to do with off the field issues rather than ability, plus im not sure he would get in ahead of Taylor and I think Black is a marginally better defender (tho not all round player) and there were times this season when people were calling for Mellor to be "rested". I think his time will come in the first team.

Winchester was a bit hit and miss when he played but i think he can do a job - he just needs to keep working, hes another one who hasnt really nailed down a position, he played a right back want great, right wing - Okish but wants to come inside all the time and he might have played CM if memory serves

Both Brooke & Bembo-Lita have been massively unlucky with their injuries, but from the outside looking in, as a fan, it looks to me like they will be gone; dropping down the leagues to the lower reaches a la Hyde or Ashton or BP's beloved 'Bloods, rather than kicking on with us in L1.

Reckon Bembo will get a new contract.. When he's been in first team he has played well.. Brooke however has alot more poor games than good games..

Latics youngsters are given the opportunity to play at first team level and push for a place.

The bottom line is that most just simply are not good enough.

I think this is the long and the short of it at a club like ours their are plenty of opportunities for young player to play if they are good enough they will get their chance, but they will only get their chance when they are good enough.

When Tarkowski came in at the back end of last season he showed potential but it was just that he was still raw, it could have gone either way and it would have been wrong to have thrown him in at the start of the season even if fit it would have been too early. Now he looks ready and ready for an extended run in the 1st team, hopefully he will get that.

Before we give Mellor an extended run I think we need to decide what position we want him to play he could play in several. If we want him to be a leftback then he has to improve the defensive aspect of his game as when played their earlier in the season he kept getting caught out of position.

Winchester is one I will reserve my judgement on for now but from what I have seen he shouldn't be at right back as Kieran Lee is better and I don't see the point of throwing him in just for the sake of it certainly if it makes our team weaker for it.

... hopefully now is the time to bring Winchester and Mellor back into the 1st team ...

In tonight’s Chron, Dickov talks about Winchester and Mellor.

"Carl and David have to go to college on Thursdays, which isn't ideal. I know a lot of people are wondering what has happened to them, but we are dictated to by what the authorities tell us. We can go through a week with them only training once with us, on a Friday. Fitness-wise, it doesn't help. And most of the preparing for a game is done before Friday. We worked out the other day that in seven weeks, they trained with us six times. I would like to have them in training with us every day and pushing for selection.

Rarely-wrong

In tonight’s Chron, Dickov talks about Winchester and Mellor.

"Carl and David have to go to college on Thursdays, which isn't ideal. I know a lot of people are wondering what has happened to them, but we are dictated to by what the authorities tell us. We can go through a week with them only training once with us, on a Friday. Fitness-wise, it doesn't help. And most of the preparing for a game is done before Friday. We worked out the other day that in seven weeks, they trained with us six times. I would like to have them in training with us every day and pushing for selection.

Rarely-wrong

What do they do on Mondays Tuesdays and Wednesdays ?

What do they do on Mondays Tuesdays and Wednesdays ?

THat's what I thought when I read the ever-right Chron's article. If yo read the article about it on the OS you will see that the lads do 2 days at college.

Quote "The Latics manager pointed to the fact they are away at college two days each week so are unable to train full time."

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337~2605453,00.html

Edited by laticsrblue

THat's what I thought when I read the ever-right Chron's article. If yo read the article about it on the OS you will see that the lads do 2 days at college.

Quote "The Latics manager pointed to the fact they are away at college two days each week so are unable to train full time."

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337~2605453,00.html

Still confused, so if they go to college 2 days what do they do the other 2 weekdays apart from Friday when PD says they join in training with the first team ?

PD quote -"We worked out the other day that in seven weeks, they trained with us six times".

Still confused, so if they go to college 2 days what do they do the other 2 weekdays apart from Friday when PD says they join in training with the first team ?

PD quote -"We worked out the other day that in seven weeks, they trained with us six times".

Which days are they in college, Wednesday no-one trains. Could they have been involved in reserves matchs?