new signing

Latics have signed Comoros Islands international Youssuf M'Changama on a short-term contract.

The 21-year-old midfield man has impressed sufficiently during trials at Boundary Park to earn a deal.

In the wake of injuries to Dean Furman and James Wesolowski, the capture of M'Changama will provide additional midfield options.

M'Changama, who holds a French passport, has played all his previous football in that country.

He was a junior at Olympique Marseille and has played in the second tier of French football for Sedan and Troyes.

M'Changama has also won two caps for the Comoros Islands, scoring one goal.

Comoros play in the Indian Ocean Island Games and also in qualifiers for the African Cup of Nations.

Looks like he was at ESTAC (the current name for Troyes) until well into this season, a regular in their reserve side but without any first team appearances. I'm hoping we've unearthed a gem but a short-term deal hardly binds us if he doesn't turn out to be the answer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Adeyemi only with us for another few days? 10th March rings a bell (unless I'm thinking of someone else). If that's the case, this kid could be the one to step in.

Rings a bell with me too.

CIA World Factbook info on Cormoros:

One of the world's poorest countries, Comoros is made up of three islands that have inadequate transportation links, a young and rapidly increasing population, and few natural resources. The low educational level of the labor force contributes to a subsistence level of economic activity, high unemployment, and a heavy dependence on foreign grants and technical assistance. Agriculture, including fishing, hunting, and forestry, contributes 40% to GDP, employs 80% of the labor force, and provides most of the exports. Export income is heavily reliant on the three main crops of vanilla, cloves, and ylang-ylang and Comoros' export earnings are easily disrupted by disasters such as fires. The country is not self-sufficient in food production; rice, the main staple, accounts for the bulk of imports. The government - which is hampered by internal political disputes - lacks a comprehensive strategy to attract foreign investment and is struggling to upgrade education and technical training, privatize commercial and industrial enterprises, improve health services, diversify exports, promote tourism, and reduce the high population growth rate. Political problems have inhibited growth, which averaged only about 1% in 2006-09, but more than 2% per year in 2010-11. Remittances from 150,000 Comorans abroad help supplement GDP. In September 2009 the IMF approved Comoros for a three-year $21 million loan, but the government has struggled to meet program targets, such as restricting spending on wages, strengthening domestic revenue collection, and moving forward on structural reforms.

Looks like he was at ESTAC (the current name for Troyes) until well into this season, a regular in their reserve side but without any first team appearances. I'm hoping we've unearthed a gem but a short-term deal hardly binds us if he doesn't turn out to be the answer.

Ah, I was nearly right. He started out at CS Sedan Ardennes as a young player, rapidly rose to captain their reserve side, then joined ESTAC (formerly Troyes AC) for the 2010/11 season. He made 24 appearances and scored twice in the CFA 2 league (the French fifth division, in which most clubs' reserve sides play). He then trialled at his older brother's club, Nîmes Olympique, but appears to have been released at some point after that without making a senior appearance.

Edited by Crusoe

I know you can't fully judge on a two minute video, but he looks to have something about him and he can certainly pick a pass. If he can ping them 40 yards like that to a winger, Morais, Marsh-Brown, Taylor et al had better be ready for it.

didnt that abalimba fella have some caps for somewhere? if he's good its a bonus, if not then we've not got him for long.

had to wiki the comoros islands because i'd never heard of them, between Mozambique and Madagascar apparently..

tempted to go get a 'M'Changama' shirt now :wink:

Comoros are 188th in the world, to give you an idea Seychelles (who Kevin Betsy plays for) are 189th, Andorra and San Marino are 205th equal and Malta are 159th.

He might have something about him but he could just be a sot-gap replacement until our midfield are fitter.

Next signing ...Messi :grin:

M'essi?

I just checked Wikipedia and the Comoros have even lost to Swaziland. I was in Swaziland for a few weeks last year and their best team are made up of policemen. Jesus.

On a side note, on the first day there we were being shown around the local area and came to the national football stadium. It was relatively impressive (but not a patch on Mozambique's where the Chinese have built the whole bloody thing) but they were laughing about the fact they only had three stands - the end behind the goal is left empty because the royal family are buried on the mountains behind and it was disrespectful for fans to stand with their backs to them. They laughed when I said our ground was kind of like that. At least they had a bloody reason...