Smith on loan to Macclesfield

According to Twitter account of an agent

Macclesfield Town FC sign striker Matt Smith on loan from Oldham Athletic FC until the end of the season.

Well if he isn't going to get the game time he needs here I think it's a good move. Hopefully he can adapt to league football there and come back ready for next season.

Who do we have to challenge with Kuqi and Reid for the starting places though with Simpson injured and KMB suspended?

That's a joke, we don't have enough strikers as it is and Kuqi's not scoring, it would have been perfect for Smith to play now but instead we loan him out and reduce our options even more. He's been a regular sub, who do we put on the bench now?

Could be a good move for him and us. He goes to Macclesfield and scores say 5 goals in their remaining games, it gives him the confidence that he can cut it at this level. We might end up with a Chris O'Grady type situation where he does well enough that other clubs want to buy him, so we make profit on a young lad we plucked from uni/Blue square north.

If he goes, plays regularly and doesn't score- then we know that relying on him to get us the goals next season is not going to work.

Personally I'd have waited a bit to send him out on loan- as we currently have no reserve forwards if Kuqi or Reid get injured/suspended. But does that mean that Simmo is going to be fit for Dale/Hartlepool?

Might be bringing in somebody good.

More likely a judgement call - we're not going down, we're not going up - so save some money off the wage bill.

I hope your right about not going down and we should not. But we have lost 3 in a row, we can't score, we can't defend. If we lose the next 3-4 then we are right in the do do, with a battle on our hands

How about Leon Clarke or Billy Paynter ?

Leon Clarke? Would welcome him back. But he moved to Charlton in January I think? Swap deal with Swindon for Benson I think.

Wouldn't mind Billy Paynter either, depends if he is available, and if he is, how much of a contribution to his wages that Leeds would want.

Best hope is getting a youngster in on loan from prem club I think. If that is the case, wouldn't be surprised if the Human wrecking ball makes a return.

Lots of young strikers have made lively short cameo performances but not cut the mustard unfortunately.

Ryan Brooke has made just one start for Telford, normally coming on with 20 mins to go.

There's promise in many of them but there's a reason why players like Kuqi are still around - they made the step up and have done the business.

Brooke may well always be a case of what might have been, a decent lad who looked set for a place in the first 11 in Dickov's first pre-season. One long term injury at that stage and you're always in trouble, it's a shame and if it were up to me I'd give him one more year. Likely to be dropped this summer though, Smith could be different though. For one thing he has been loaned by a League 2 club which is higher than most of our younger players, hopefully will have a similar spell to O'Grady at Rochdale only this time bring it back with him.