No new contract offers until the end of the season

Didn't somebody on here post that they'd spoken to Morais in the gym who said the only player in negotiations with the club was Kieran Lee?

yh that was me. Cant remember how long that was ago but i think it was after the mk dons defeat. But yh he said the only player at that time going through contract negotiations was kieran lee and that they were not at that time talking to anyone else about contracts.

He has since Tweeted that we have options with various players, Kuqi and Furman are two. Sky reported earlier in the season that Diamond has a rolling deal, in terms of who we keep I think we will manage a fair few.

T doubt many teams will offer Wes that high a deal-bad injury record and coming out of surgery, Simmo recieved a fair few others in the summer but none in an area he wants to work, he said he wants to stay local so good chance with him, Lee will want to stay in the North West so again good chance. Kuqi is unlikely to get an offer from a Championship club and has already said that if he plays in League 1 it will be with us. Morais seems happy here under PD and won't get many bteter offers, Black is unlikely to recieve too many offers also.

But I think we will lose Taylor and Furman plus any we get rid off, but what ever happens we will have to wait until they get off their hols. Once one signs though, offers will follow suit.

KMB is one who has option for an extra season.

Wouldn't surprise me if we have an option on Taylor's contract aswell.

How many games has Dean Furman played for us this season? I don't think to many clubs will be banging at the door since he's been out most of the season. Same for Zander Diamond and James Wesolowski! They seem to be made out of crisps (nicked the crisps comment from someone on here can't remember who :wink: ) Could even say the same about Robbie Simpson. Their injury record wasn't great before getting here.

I think the ball is in all clubs corner next season. How many players did Paul say were out of contract next season?

He has since Tweeted that we have options with various players, Kuqi and Furman are two. Sky reported earlier in the season that Diamond has a rolling deal, in terms of who we keep I think we will manage a fair few.

T doubt many teams will offer Wes that high a deal-bad injury record and coming out of surgery, Simmo recieved a fair few others in the summer but none in an area he wants to work, he said he wants to stay local so good chance with him, Lee will want to stay in the North West so again good chance. Kuqi is unlikely to get an offer from a Championship club and has already said that if he plays in League 1 it will be with us. Morais seems happy here under PD and won't get many bteter offers, Black is unlikely to recieve too many offers also.

But I think we will lose Taylor and Furman plus any we get rid off, but what ever happens we will have to wait until they get off their hols. Once one signs though, offers will follow suit.

Dean Furman seems very keen to stay and would love him to stay and partner weslo in midfield for the next campaign. Taylor on the otherhand, I couldnt care less whether he stays or goes.

Could the same be said for Diamond, Reid and Wesolowski? As good as wesolowski may be, any club operating on a reduced budget can't really afford to spend a substantial chunk of that budget on players who are likely to miss a fair bit of the season through injury.

Diamond and Reid, I'd agree but I'd be disappointed at losing Wes. He's had a op now so hopefully his injury troubles will be behind him, once the recovery is complete.

Just a thought but maybe the club as got a verbal deal with wes. They was going to wait till the end of the season before he had his op so maybe they agreed he could have it in feb if he stayed with us for next season. Seems a bit pointless for the club to agree for him to have an operation that would rule him for months if he was going leave when he came back from it. I know he needed the op but it could have waited till the end of the season.

How many players do we normally sign before the end of the year? Honest question - but I don't think it's many.

This is the same as always only three things inevitably happened:

1. Dickov admitted that what we always do, year on year, is true - we wait to see where we finish before we make any offers.

2. Matt at the Chron got a nice juicy quote and saw a story to spin and spun it good.

3. OWTB overreacted to negative news and ignored any and all possible logic.

Crack on.

There will be a lot of players anxious for a job come the start of next season, not many of our lot are that special that we should be offering them a big contract before we do what they will be doing - having a look at what they can get.

Already got him, a quality player in Bradley Diallo, who has been signed on again.

Diallo I hope gets over his injuries, I do fear though thats why he has ended up with us.

The lad has ability, tonnes of it, I remember when he skinned the Hudds full back ( who they rave about) and gave Kuqui a free header.

I think the club are planning on a mass clearout and will be inviting fans in for trials over the summer. We'll be relegated by a record defecit of 25 points and Prozac's head will fall off. :wink:

Amazingly that is not the wildest theory on OWTB. It's not even the wildsest theory on this thread.. :wink:

I mean really, are we any different to any other side in our division, the one below or even the one above? Teams will be waiting to see where they finish before offering out contracts surely?

I'd be amazed if the players weren't fully aware of exactly what the clubs position was regarding new deals. Just because we as fans are in the dark; doesn't also mean the players will be.

Take Wes for example. If we as a club were not going to be offering him a deal for next season, then why would we have put him in for the operation? Surely the return on his wage investment would have meant that if we were going to be releasing him, we would milk him for all we could do. Play him until his shoulder popped out again, put it back, R&R until fit again, then play him again - continuing like that until the end of the season when his shoulder problem would cease to be our problem? Morally wrong maybe; but cold hard money would talk surely? As it is, we've put him in for the operation whilst still contracted to us, and all the info coming out at the time was talking of him being then fit to start pre-season training. I'd be amazed if there wasn't a verbal agreement in place there, if not a written one.

As for the others, I think a hint of realism is needed. We've got some OK players, some decent players and 1 or 2 pretty good ones here this season. But - in terms of teams from the top 6 of our league, or teams from the Championship - who from our current lot would be heading up a list of summer recruitments? Would Sheffield United take Furman over Quinn, Williamson or Montgomery? very much doubt it. Would Huddersfield have released Simpson if they rated him? Would a Championship side look at Wes and think he'd improve them; Peterborough didn't did they? Would Charlton want Lee over Rhoys Wiggins; Hmmm? Are any of our side that good that other teams will be busting a nut to sign them? I don't actually think so. If we want them, I think we stand a very good chance of re-signing them - reduced budget or not.

I think we stand a pretty decent chance of being able to realistically keep any player who we want to really. Players will have to realise that this summer, more than the last one, there are hundreds & hundreds of other fellow professionals who will be out of work. If they want too much in unrealistic wages; clubs will simply turn their attention elsewhere to find alternatives. No 1 player is irreplaceable, all are expendable and all will have to realise that if they are happy where they currently are & wish to continue to earn a living from the game; they would be better suited to accept terms offered; rather than become another face on the massive roster of out of work players who can't find that deal they think they are worth.

Another thing I hope that the players think about is playing in a squad where other players can bring the best out of them, we've seen it time and time again where a player leaves OAFC and goes backwards. Granted there have been forward moves too but there is a lot to be said for staying with a club and building the success together as a unit rather than upping sticks every 2 years and starting again somewhere. Consistency goes along way to getting success in football.

You mentioned it your opening post, and others have mentioned it also - teams in England CANNOT speak to players who play in England from january onwards if they are out of contract in the summer. It's something like from may onwards or after last game of the season. If it was a team from outside England they can, but in England your not allowed to officially speak to the player out of contract 6 months in advance if the player plays for a team in the same country as you..

What about speaking to their agents though?

I think there's an argument for a more performance-related pay structure - pay players a lower basic wage but give more generous apperance, goal and clean sheet bonuses.

This would reduce the cost of carrying injured players and also motivate the lads (hopefully).

It might also cause the players to reject all contract offers and bugger off to where its more cushy!

Edited by bossrocks

I'd bin Diamond aswell , stealing a wage . Everytime he plays he is injured

:blink::blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Eh???

Really?

Hmmmm..........

Massively disagree there. I think he's been great and the injuries he's had are exactly what you get with a big no-nonsense CB who is prepared to put his body on the line.

I thought we were going to be relegated though, in which case it makes sense to wait to the end of the season to see who we can afford to keep on.

I thought we were still in with a shout of the playoffs, in which case we should hold off as most of these players won't be good enough for the Championship.

I mean really, are we any different to any other side in our division, the one below or even the one above? Teams will be waiting to see where they finish before offering out contracts surely?

I'd be amazed if the players weren't fully aware of exactly what the clubs position was regarding new deals. Just because we as fans are in the dark; doesn't also mean the players will be.

Take Wes for example. If we as a club were not going to be offering him a deal for next season, then why would we have put him in for the operation? Surely the return on his wage investment would have meant that if we were going to be releasing him, we would milk him for all we could do. Play him until his shoulder popped out again, put it back, R&R until fit again, then play him again - continuing like that until the end of the season when his shoulder problem would cease to be our problem? Morally wrong maybe; but cold hard money would talk surely? As it is, we've put him in for the operation whilst still contracted to us, and all the info coming out at the time was talking of him being then fit to start pre-season training. I'd be amazed if there wasn't a verbal agreement in place there, if not a written one.

As for the others, I think a hint of realism is needed. We've got some OK players, some decent players and 1 or 2 pretty good ones here this season. But - in terms of teams from the top 6 of our league, or teams from the Championship - who from our current lot would be heading up a list of summer recruitments? Would Sheffield United take Furman over Quinn, Williamson or Montgomery? very much doubt it. Would Huddersfield have released Simpson if they rated him? Would a Championship side look at Wes and think he'd improve them; Peterborough didn't did they? Would Charlton want Lee over Rhoys Wiggins; Hmmm? Are any of our side that good that other teams will be busting a nut to sign them? I don't actually think so. If we want them, I think we stand a very good chance of re-signing them - reduced budget or not.

I think we stand a pretty decent chance of being able to realistically keep any player who we want to really. Players will have to realise that this summer, more than the last one, there are hundreds & hundreds of other fellow professionals who will be out of work. If they want too much in unrealistic wages; clubs will simply turn their attention elsewhere to find alternatives. No 1 player is irreplaceable, all are expendable and all will have to realise that if they are happy where they currently are & wish to continue to earn a living from the game; they would be better suited to accept terms offered; rather than become another face on the massive roster of out of work players who can't find that deal they think they are worth.

I'd like to think most of what you write is probably realistic, however don't forget all these 'bigger' clubs have strength in depth in terms of squads...second string with a Championship club would still probably attract an extra grand a week and the opportunity to impress once the call comes.

I'll wager my life savings on Lee not being here next season, why didn't he sign the contract he was offered??

Don't really agree with this, Sly. I think Wes probably had the surgery on medical advice, after dislocating the shoulder at least three times within the space of a couple of months, IIRC. Trying to make anyone play, contrary to medical advice, could land us in deep :censored: legally, if the worst was to happen and said player suffered a career-ending injury. That risk would far outweigh the investment in wages.

You have a point but wouldn't we have said the same about Evina? And we've certainly missed a decent left-back this season.

I agree regarding individuals leaving, my concern is that we lose all of the handful of decent players we've got, as replacing the likes of Furman, Kuqi and Simpson on our budget will be extremely difficult.

What about speaking to their agents though?

I think there's an argument for a more performance-related pay structure - pay players a lower basic wage but give more generous apperance, goal and clean sheet bonuses.

This would reduce the cost of carrying injured players and also motivate the lads (hopefully).

It might also cause the players to reject all contract offers and bugger off to where its more cushy!

Can't do that either. Most do, but officially you can't and could take legal action if it is the case..