The squad movements thread - who's in, who's out

He balance of power is slowly changing; more so at our level & below.

Players are now, finally it seems, beginning to realise that clubs will not be paying the inflated wages of a few years back. The economic crisis has bitten and clubs will not be forking out £1,000 a week for an average player anymore.

Hopefully, players will now realise that an offer of regular 1st team football coupled with a decent but realistic wage packet is an attractive proposition now.

I think the power is starting to shift back to the clubs; and that IMO is only a good thing.

It'll only take a few weeks of several clubs balking at a players inflated wage demands & moving onto other targets for them to realise that they need to be morr realistic & to lower their unreasonable expectations.

I think the club is, so far, doing the right thing in playing the waiting game. I think a heck of a lot of players are in for a shock this summer; and lots & lots will find themselves clubless due to over/pricing themselves out of potential moves.

Agree that this applies to the Football League but the Premiership still is the land of milk and honey for all footballers.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was, but given that reaction I'm happy not to bother. Better?

FWIW, I think it's useful. If nothing else, it will be a good record so when the inevitable questions of who's contracted to when come up throughout the season, we can refer to this.

Think Wikipedia is wrong on Belezika's age. Fairly sure he must be 1993 as the club had referred to him as 18 since he signed. Either way, if Kuqi isn't signing and Gerrard's third spot will be taken by Jacob, that's looking like a very young squad.

I would be more optimistic about where we are now if more than five players were potentially available beyond 2013. There is great potential in this young squad but is SC waiting for wages to hit rock bottom, must be on a downward trend, before making any long term commitments?

Updated yet again (Grounds 24 months.): AVERAGE AGE still under 21

Added birthdays/ages based on age on 1st July 2012

Who's under contract? (2nd July)

Dean Bouzanis (2013) 2
nd
Oct 1990 age 21Aussie

Alex Cisak (2013 plus a further one year option) 19
th
May 1989 age 22 Aussie

Luke Simpson (second year of scholarship) unknown but aged 17

Liam Jacob (2013) 18th Aug 1994 aged 17 Aussie

Glenn Belezika (2013 plus a further one year option) 24
th
Dec 1994 age 18

Connor Brown (2013 plus a further one year option) unknown age 19

Jean-Yves Mvoto Owono (2013) 6
th
Sept 1988 Paris age 23

James Tarkowski (2013) 19
th
Nov 1992 New Moston age 19

Carl Winchester (2013) 12
th
April 1993 age 19 Belfast N Ireland

Jonathan Grounds (2014) 2nd Feb 1988 age 24 Thornaby-on-Tees

Dean Furman (2013) 22
nd
June 1988 Cape Town, age 24

Connor Hughes (2013) 6
th
May 1993 Bolton age19

David Mellor (2013) 10
th
July 1993 Oldham, age 18

Kirk Millar (2013) 7
th
July 1992 age 19 Belfast N Ireland

James Wesolowski (2014) 25
th
August 1987 age 24 Sydney Aussie

Robbie Simpson (2013) 15
th
March 1985 Poole age 27

Matt Smith (2013) 7
th
June 1989 Birmingham age 23

Dan Taylor (2013 plus a further one year option) unknown Newcastle age 19

After the final game (Carlisle at home), PD stated: ' If we can keep the squad that was out there today and add good quality additions next season, we will be a threat".

Of the team that day (including substitutions) the following are currently not at the club: Reece Brown, Diallo, Morais, Bunn, Kuqi & Tounkara plus we have lost Lee and Taylor.

We have added Jacob (for the future),Brown, Taylor, Grounds and retained Wesolowski, Simpson & Cisak.

Things are definitely moving in the right direction but obviously there is still room (and time) to add more quality signings.

Reece Brown would be a welcome addition plus that winger and striker.

That would give us twenty-one professionals – still one or two short but getting there.

:coffee1:

Edited by TheBigDog