Dickov: Either players want to stay or they don't

2 week deadline from Monday, finally no more pissing about. They sign or they don't - everybody moves on no 6 or 7 week wait like for Hazell et al last year.

Been saying this for years, why should we be the last resort? Made to wait weeks on end whilst they go fishing for a better deal? I'm all for players getting a good deal but not at the expense of affecting our plans. If they want a better deal, better get a move on.

Tick, tick, tick….

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree this is good.

However I guess there's still the possibility of someone "doing a Reid" i.e. turning down a deal and then coming back later agreeing to terms. And if it was a player we wanted e.g. Lee, and we hadn't signed a replacement, then would we maintain our stance of saying "sorry but uou're too late" or would that be cutting off our nose to spite our face?

Edited by LaticsPete

Agree this is good.

However I guess there's still the possibility of someone "doing a Reid" i.e. turning down a deal and then coming back later agreeing to terms. And if it was a player we wanted e.g. Lee, and we hadn't signed a replacement, then would we maintain our stance of saying "sorry but uou're too late" or would that be cutting off our nose to spite our face?

Suppose that would depend on whether the player who had turned us down had been replaced

Im glad going down this route, as for the players turning down and coming back no one would moan if that was Lee honestly, I think that boils down to the quality of said player

I hope he goes ahead with this, im glad the planning has started, its so important next season to get off to a good start and hopefully we will get some lets say 'easier' fixtures to get early points on the board

Any news if we again asked the league this year if same as last we can have the big games on Saturday's not midweek ones like did couple years ago to enhance crowds.

2 week deadline from Monday, finally no more pissing about. They sign or they don't - everybody moves on no 6 or 7 week wait like for Hazell et al last year.

Been saying this for years, why should we be the last resort? Made to wait weeks on end whilst they go fishing for a better deal? I'm all for players getting a good deal but not at the expense of affecting our plans. If they want a better deal, better get a move on.

Tick, tick, tick….

There's a balance to be struck though. Call the deadline too early and players may reject simply on the basis that it doesn't give them any time to weigh up their options.

I think it s a good step to take although I have a feeling the likes of Taylor, Lee and will get that little bit longer to decide

The first 2 have a chance of Championship football but if that does not materialise can we afford to let them sign for another league 1 side?

Hopefully they won’t need that long to decide

Like Dickov says......the date's been set,sod the balance they either want to be here or they don't .....simple.

We've been held to ransom too many times by average players and it's a brave decision by him which I fully support. There's going to be hundreds of players out of work in a few weeks and no player is indispensable !!!

Any news if we again asked the league this year if same as last we can have the big games on Saturday's not midweek ones like did couple years ago to enhance crowds.

Did we do this? I don't believe the league would give us short shrift for such a request. There's an article on the BBC somewhere about the complexities of making the fixture list. It's a great article and there ain't a chance the league would go for 'big teams on a Saturday please'...

Agree this is good.

It would, Gregan being a good example. He didn't fancy our offer but tested the water and decided it would do after all. Presumably the offers we make are what we think is the best way to use the budget so why would you not re-open the deal if you had had to move onto third and fourth choices? That said there will be a lot of players getting very twitchy as the start of the season draws on.

Agree this is good.

If they come crawling back to us we should offer them a lower contract than the original one.

Then spend all the money we save on ponchos for people in the chaddy end/

just seen Simpsons last tweet. saying not a great end to training today and something about needing cheering up, interesting!

I'm thinking he's played his last game, bearing in mind he's down in Loughborough tonight? Not ideal prep a 2 1/2 drive on the morning of/ or night before a game?

Edited by oafcprozac

I think it s a good step to take although I have a feeling the likes of Taylor, Lee and will get that little bit longer to decide

The first 2 have a chance of Championship football but if that does not materialise can we afford to let them sign for another league 1 side?

Hopefully they won’t need that long to decide

I wouldn't give special preference to anyone and I dont think PD will either.

I reckon that is why he has said this and rightly so.

Taylor is lucky that we still have an offer on the table after the way he played this season (and the injury he has), albeit I do hope he signs because we all know he is a good player when he doesn't spend all the game diving around and whingeing!

No, like I said....... sign or :censored: off!

Very good idea. Last summer was painful. Barely a scratch side by the start of the season. No time to prepare. Lets be really honest, none of this squad is irreplaceable. The aren't that talented, they actually weren't good enough. No ball player, no one who could finish etc

Get rid of whoever, I want wont be weeping.

With all what he's said - whatever he does he is a dead man walking. I just see that Dickov will have a virtually brand new squad again next season and he'll be back at square one trying to get 'the formula'. Such is third-tier football on a budget I suppose, although there won't be the same level of sympathy for PD next year, the pressure will build going into Christmas and the knives will be out. As per usual.

Better get used to being at the wrong end of the table though.

Dowie's team had little flair but ran through brick walls, even during an injury and financial crisis. And the year afetr when we were playing yoofs, kids and non-leaguers he has us on a great run until he lost the dressing room at Tranmere when the players challenged his whoring himself about for every job going.

Corazzin

Eyre

MIni Shez

Eyres

Etc were different players under Dowie

Very good idea. Last summer was painful. Barely a scratch side by the start of the season. No time to prepare. Lets be really honest, none of this squad is irreplaceable. The aren't that talented, they actually weren't good enough. No ball player, no one who could finish etc

Get rid of whoever, I want wont be weeping.

A case of you're with me or you're not.

Any namby pamby waverers out.

Which wanting the through a brick wall types will mean a case of natural selection.

If you are dithering you are out.