Football League to discuss return to 7 substitutes

7 subs or 5?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer

So, would you like to see us go back to seven subs, or stick with five. There's a joint proposal from Derby County and Birmingham City to revert to seven. I suppose the six-fingered lot from up the road that suggested five for last season will vote against it, but what's your vote?

7. Gives us more options from the bench.

But before they decide on subs, I'd prefer a return to the multi-ball system. Gets boring waiting for a ball to chucked from the back fo Chaddy/RRE. Takes the tempo out of a game aswell, stop-start rather than more fluid.

I'd go for 7 but on the condition that 2 (maybe even 3) players on the bench have come through the club's youth ranks. The youth players who are involved in the matchday squads gain the most from having more subs.

Either way what did the FL expect to happen when they voted through changing from 7 to 5 without consulting managers last year, of course someone was going to propose that it should be changed back.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Not all that bothered but considering a player with any form of injury has to leave the field, and a blood injury normally involves some form of kit change and temporary fix. I would like to see football introduce a blood bin, so limit the unnecessary delays that occur when bleeding injuries happen.

Also if football reverted to no subs then the risk of players continuing to play whilst injured would significantly increase. Trautman might be remembered for something entirely different if he had re-injured his broken neck in the cup final, all because there were no subs. Reverting to no subs in football is a definite no from me

Edited by rudemedic

Not all that bothered but considering a player with any form of injury has to leave the field, and a blood injury normally involves some form of kit change and temporary fix. I would like to see football introduce a blood bin, so limit the unnecessary delays that occur when bleeding injuries happen.

Also if football reverted to no subs then the risk of players continuing to play whilst injured would significantly increase. Trautman might be remembered for something entirely different if he had re-injured his broken neck in the cup final, all because there were no subs. Reverting to no subs in football is a definite no from me

Delays for bleeding injuries? You mean the time it takes to walk to the touch line?

I can see an argument for it on the basis of team's being left a man down while the player is patched up but not on account of delays.

Delays for bleeding injuries? You mean the time it takes to walk to the touch line?

I can see an argument for it on the basis of team's being left a man down while the player is patched up but not on account of delays.

How long was the delay when Diamond had a bit of blood showing on his bandage, or the opposition player involved in that clash of heads. Or any delay involving a keeper- who can't go off. Plus the decision to attempt a quick fix or a more comprehensive but more time consuming option or even a straight forward substitution is often the decision of the doctor and that usually involves some time wasting.

It will no doubt happen in the Euro Championship that someone is bleeding, I bet that any delay is more than the time it takes for the player to walk to the sideline. Especially as the player with no number is less likely to be tolerated at that level.

Seven should be an option if a club can afford to do so. Think its good if you are in that posistion and able to call on that extra player, or if you are winning comfortably give that youngsters or fringe player a run out. Fact so many clubs getting rid of there reserve sides could motivate players not expected to get into the starting 11 more.