Brown ex sheff u signs

Re Twitter - he's young and made a mistake - hopefully he will learn from that. After some of KMB's postings recently I don't think he's the type of player to learn and move on. Glad he's not with us next season.

Re the calibre of the player - I'm firmly in the "give him a chance" camp. We're already accused of having a negative attitude to our players, but usually when they've played a few games. I hope he doesn't get straight on owtb to read what the fans are saying about him - not exactly going to inspire him to do well is it?

No one on here wishes him to play poorly, we're all oldham fans and want the club to do well. I think people are just disheartened when the club is signing players that havent done anything anywhere and then all we can do is hope for the best, rather than be excited and enthusiastic. Probably the best time to judge is when the whole squad has taken shape and we can see the balance of the team. If we sign a well established right back a month from now, alot of this thread will be largely irrelevant.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Connor Brown Brown was seen as a promising youngster a few years ago but seemed to get a bad injury and lost his way. He never quite got back to the promise he had shown and was not even getting in the reserves by season end. He will probably be best known now for his ill-advised comments after the Evans court case which led to him rightly being suspended by the club; this suspension maybe ran right until his contract ran out?

- taken from the sheffield united forum

Also had a quick search on the Hinckley United forum and it doesnt make for good reading. caught out of position came up a few times and tried to do things he cant and got caught out. It seems he had promise but has had one or two pretty bad injuries.

We cant judge him without seeing him in action but this guy cant surley have been brought in to be first choice RB????

Looking at the players released by Sheff. Utd - never heard of him and would not have been top of my list out of them.

Will wait and see on this one - but a bit concerned about him not being good enough to break into the Sheff Utd first team if it was a PL or Top Championship team that he was unable to break in to then Ok but a League 1 team (even if they are a lot bigger) now that does worry me a bit - hopefully footballer wise he will be a hidden gem will keep the fingers crossed.

Hopefully signing younger player will save the wages bill to be spent on a few top class League one players - do not need all young kids no matter how much potential they have need some experienced heads with leadership talent.

As for other things re. Tweets the bloke seems a bit of a muppet.too me - question his judgement but like I said he is only a kid.

Give him a chance, he's 20!!!

He would have had to be hell of a player to have got into a championship side in his late teens ~ don't fool yourself that the Sheff Utd squad can be compared to ours, they will be up next season.

Could be useful, we just don't know yet.

Also, you can pretty much guarantee that you will have to look up all our signings on Wikipedia. That's were we are just now, as are a lot of our competitiors however.

A Sheff Utd supporting friend of mine says he was very highly regarded, very quick.

Wasn't their right back (Lowton?) one of the best in the league last season? If so, no shame in Brown not getting a look in.

Would he have even been available or in our price range were it not for the Twitter thing?

Could be a shrewd bit of business..

Until we know, let's at least give him a chance.

Give him a chance, he's 20!!!

He would have had to be hell of a player to have got into a championship side in his late teens ~ don't fool yourself that the Sheff Utd squad can be compared to ours, they will be up next season.

Could be useful, we just don't know yet.

Also, you can pretty much guarantee that you will have to look up all our signings on Wikipedia. That's were we are just now, as are a lot of our competitiors however.

Fair Point I accept that - maybe breaking into the side is too much - but thought he may have appear in a senior game maybe as a sub. against a lesser team in a cup maybe after spending 6 years there - also guess a bit of disappointment on my side also as I guess I was expecting a bit more as our first signing of the season.

Having calmed down from my initial gut reaction....I want to give him a chance,honestly I do. I hope he does well for us. But it really is difficult to put his comments in support of Ched Evans to one side. Getting a needless red card for smacking an opponent, getting drunk and nicking a pedalo, slagging off your 'haterz' on Twitter....they're the kind of things you can write off as "well he's only a kid, he'll learn". Calling a rape victim a "slag" and a "money grabbing little tramp" is inexcusable. I hope he has learned from it. I hope he turns out to be a great signing. And i hope that when wins the player of the year award he donates the money to Manchester Rape Crisis.

Or you could see it as a guy who believes his friends story and in the heat of the moment lashed out on twitter. From what I read was hardly an open and shut case.

Reckon he'll have learn't his lesson and should be welcomed to the club and given a chance

Or you could see it as a guy who believes his friends story and in the heat of the moment lashed out on twitter. From what I read was hardly an open and shut case.

Reckon he'll have learn't his lesson and should be welcomed to the club and given a chance

I have to agree with this to a good degree. He's not conducted himself well at all but there have been a number of seemingly false allegations against footballers. The best bet of course would be if they were brought up a little bit better and didn't find themselves in the situations in the first place.

Should add that I know nothing of this specific case.

I think this just shows what kind of player we will be attracting over the next 2 months or able to sign anyway....

I am not casting dispersions over the new signing but if he wasn't deemed good enough to play for Sheff Utd Huddersfield in our division why do we feel he is?

Please prove me wrong!

could you not have said exactly the same thing about Simpson? arguably one of our best players?

Edited by philliggi

could you not have said exactly the same thing about Simpson? arguably one of our best players?

A bit of a bad comparison to be fair,

a player who has played in the Championship, moved to a club in our league for £300k and had a succesful loan spell at another club in league 1 where he scored goals

V

A player who showed promise as a young teenager, never made an appearance at league level and had two short loan spells at non-league level where he (apparantly) didn't really stand out!

** this isnt me slagging brown off, just dont think its a good comparison. We need to give him a chance, but i can see why people may be underwhelmed.

Not with this at all. The lad seems to have pretty much said that a rapist is alright and a victim is not. I think this is an awful signing on that alone, and not one a 'family club' should be doing. I'm just having problems getting past that.

I see your point but - its very easy for us to judge Brown as we have no emotional attachment to Evans whatsoever. There are plenty of people who have raised points about the case & about other such cases. They did it in a much more more considered way.

Brown is obviously not the brightest button in the box and was defending his mate who he may still believe. We dont know how close Evans and Brown are - if they are close Brown will also have been very upset. Im not saying what he did is excusable,

im saying: a not to bright 19 year old who feels his friend has been "set up" & social media = someone looking like a tool.

For me its a stupid incident one I hope he regrets (& knows why he should regret it), but its all too easy to judge.

we've all said/posted things in the heat of the moment that we later regret. obviously not saying they compare to what he said but if you consider his point of view, a colleague and friend gets sent down for something he strongly denies, Brown is bound to be upset. having a go at the girl on twitter wasn't the smartest way to vent his frustrations but as has been said on here, he's a kid (19 at the time?) and hey, kids do/say stupid :censored: all the time that they shouldn't. I'm sure he'll regret it and understand why he shouldn't have said what he has. Not that i condone it at all, i just think that this isn't a reason to dismiss his footballing ability before hes played.

if he has an absolute stinker in his first 3 or 4 games then yeah, hes not worth it but we can't sign a full squad of players with experience at higher levels etc, some of our signings are going to be relative nobodies. people slagged off Kuqi last year and look at all the experience he had! if you look at Eardley as an example, people here slated him and he's gone on to the premier league. fact of the matter is until you've seen him with your own eyes i find it hard to judge his ability. if that was how all businesses run noone would ever get a job!

As for the post about this being a family club and this not sitting right, we signed Lee Hughes.....

Jeez - welcome to BP eh Connor?

The lad hasn't even kicked a ball in anger for us yet and already its doom & gloom. How can people possibly write this signing off with so little knowledge of the lad? I personally have never seen him play, and only know of him re: his ill adviced twitter comments.

But - i'm firmly in the FFS give the lad a chance group......

He's 20. He's been at a very good club for 6 years. The pedigree is clearly there, the potential is clearly there. Can we at least see the lad play 20 games or so before we write him off please?

As an aside, im at a BBQ later (!) and one of the people there is a Sheff Utd season ticket holder. I'll be certainly speaking to him about Connor and getting his low-down on the lad.

Isn't this a pretty typical signing for us though? A young, hungry lad with potential and we'll be giving him games to develop?

Honestly - sometimes I do wonder what some expect......its not as though we're in the market for an International RB is it?

Welcome to BP connor - good luck; you're going to need it!

Not with this at all. The lad seems to have pretty much said that a rapist is alright and a victim is not. I think this is an awful signing on that alone, and not one a 'family club' should be doing. I'm just having problems getting past that.

I presumed his tweet was before the conviction, is this not the case?

What's a 'family club'?