Worst ever refereeing decision you've seen given against Latics?

can't remeber his name, but the :censored: who cost us at Portsmouth, 1987, play-off season, 3-0 to squeaky Ball and the referee - sent Lineghan off FFS. Arsehole!!!! Clearly hated us after half-time...something went on...argh...still pisses me off.....what was his name????

Billy Quarmby.

cant remember who the ref was for the Sheff Wed that sealed the 2nd Division Championship but how he didn't give a pen for handball against Carlton Palmer in the last minute was shocking it was blatant! shocking

Luckily he made the best decision of his life 20 seconds later for Andy Barlows dive over Sheridans leg :laught30:

Edited by palmer1

can't remeber his name, but the :censored: who cost us at Portsmouth, 1987, play-off season, 3-0 to squeaky Ball and the referee - sent Lineghan off FFS. Arsehole!!!! Clearly hated us after half-time...something went on...argh...still pisses me off.....what was his name????

2 Penalties he awarded, can't find the ref's name, Kevin Dillon scored both pens and Quinny bagged as well.

Edited by oafcprozac

He missed the last few games of the season too, we dropped seven points between that Vale game and the end of the season (nine including that game but can't remember if they'd scored when Pogs went off). Could have had auto.

In the playoffs Miskelly was awful, not only fudging up for their goal but also almost decapitating half the defence.

Pogs received a three-match ban for his red card v Brentford. He missed the televised draw at Cardiff, the home defeat to Plymouth and that never to be forgotten late win v Stockport. He returned for 6 weeks or so before Littlejohn nobbled him on 29th March v Port Vale. He didn't return until the second leg at Loftus Road. David Miskelly deputising.

Must remember this then?

portsmouth1987.jpg

Must remember this then?

portsmouth1987.jpg

two very dubious penalties indeed. We actually went down in a minibus and stayed at a camp site in Cheltenham. I decided to 'sleep' in the mini bus. Worst night ever. It was literally freezing. One of the lads wanted to go on a detour to some airforce base. It took ages, he took out his telescope, a case of 'seen it' and we were off again. Nice one, GARY. then the match. the police were a bunch of heavy handed arseholes - daren't swear!!! Really 'memorable' trip. the referee really rounded it all off.

Didn't realise we weren't the only ones. Still, funny how the worst trips really stick in the memory.

is that the one when the ball came off linegans knee and cleared the stand and he got sent off for handball ?

what a :censored:ty day that was

me "how much are your hotdogs" hotdog seller through gate "four quid mate " me "fook that pall thats a rip off "

return to game

five mins later am grabbed by my collar and dragged up the terrace by the boys in blue and told to " pay the man for his hotdog " me " what fookin hotdog i only asked the price never saidf i wanted one " plod " pay the man or your nicked for theft "

ended up paying £4 for a non existant hotdog loathed that club and everything it stands for since

mind you seems like karma has come calling

Gregan strangling steve morison and giving a penalty away, i couldnt believe what i was seeing at the time.

That was the worst. And it wasn't just gregan being a dick (though he was) - morrison initially kicked out at gregan whilst he (morrison) was on the ground, so, had the ref/lino seen the full incident (or if he did see it, if he'd been competent) it would not have been a penalty but a foul to latics.

Recall a midweek draw at home to Luton about the time Shez was manager. One of their lads went flying in about waist high in the 4th minute or so. Certain red. Ref just gives him a talking to. The game just got progressively worse as pure thuggery just went unnoticed. Kevin Blackwell, the manager of Luton clearly drilled that kind of tactics into their game. Very soft refereeing and a farce of a match which left me seething.

Similar thing with Sheffield United at home in the late 80's. Practically booted our lads off the plastic, first defeat in something like 14 months at home.

The ref who sent Fitz Hall off in the 2002-03 Play-off season at home to Crewe. Real game-changer and we end up losing 1-3 I think. Fitz was tracking a player towards the byline on the Broadway Stand. Nowhere near a threat on goal, player falls over and a straight red is pulled out to an aghast home crowd. Ugh.

That Littlejohn challenge vs Port Vale was awful. Clearly intended to hurt the goalkeeper, and arrived about 4 seconds later than Pogs reached it.

I got rather "het up" and ejected at Newcastle away in the league cup ('96?), when Beardsley scored the penalty in a 0-1 defeat. Mind you, I'd taken a day off work, been boozing in Newcastle from 1pm that afternoon which was probably the main reason for my ejection but still, it never looked a penalty. Can anyone with a less fuggy mind clarify that, or was it a stonewaller?

I thought everyone new this story, Darren Royle told me this only lasy year...

Joe was telling the team at half time that they would have to beat the ref as he was their 12th player, the ref heard this and charged into the latics dressing room kicking off saying that we shouldnt talk about him like that....

This post is 100% fact.

Got to say that Mark Clattenberg sending off Pogs on that Tuesday night against Brentford still goes down as the worst decision ever.

Nick Henry's effort in the FA Cup semi final replay at Maine Road was bad, but at least the ref and linesman said they did not see it cross the line. That is a matter of not seeing something.

Clattenberg stated that he saw soemnthing that no one else did. His performance that night for me rankles as not only the worst decision against Latics, but also by far the worst ever referreing performance in a Latics game

Yes.

Staying behind toa man to boo him off after a game we won said it all

I thought everyone new this story, Darren Royle told me this only lasy year...

Joe was telling the team at half time that they would have to beat the ref as he was their 12th player, the ref heard this and charged into the latics dressing room kicking off saying that we shouldnt talk about him like that....

This post is 100% fact.

i'd heard there'd been a problem at half time but, as usual, you don't know if it was rumour or fact.

thanks for confirming it, 25(ffs, i really am old) later.

Recall a midweek draw at home to Luton about the time Shez was manager. One of their lads went flying in about waist high in the 4th minute or so. Certain red. Ref just gives him a talking to. The game just got progressively worse as pure thuggery just went unnoticed. Kevin Blackwell, the manager of Luton clearly drilled that kind of tactics into their game. Very soft refereeing and a farce of a match which left me seething.

Similar thing with Sheffield United at home in the late 80's. Practically booted our lads off the plastic, first defeat in something like 14 months at home.

The ref who sent Fitz Hall off in the 2002-03 Play-off season at home to Crewe. Real game-changer and we end up losing 1-3 I think. Fitz was tracking a player towards the byline on the Broadway Stand. Nowhere near a threat on goal, player falls over and a straight red is pulled out to an aghast home crowd. Ugh.

That Littlejohn challenge vs Port Vale was awful. Clearly intended to hurt the goalkeeper, and arrived about 4 seconds later than Pogs reached it.

I got rather "het up" and ejected at Newcastle away in the league cup ('96?), when Beardsley scored the penalty in a 0-1 defeat. Mind you, I'd taken a day off work, been boozing in Newcastle from 1pm that afternoon which was probably the main reason for my ejection but still, it never looked a penalty. Can anyone with a less fuggy mind clarify that, or was it a stonewaller?

That little ginger prick Steve Jones of Crewe dived over Fitz's legs to get him sent off!

That penalty award given for a non-existant foul yards outside the penalty area for Donny was awful.Less than 10 mins to go the ref wasn't blowing up for a foul till the :censored: of a lino started waving his flag.

Kettle's overall display last season in the Charlton home game was the worst I've seen since Joslin's many years ago.

Man City at Maine Rd in the Prem. Redmond playing right back overlapped and got to a couple of yards from the dead ball line and knocked the ball BACK towards the penalty spot where Milligan (stood outside the box when Redmond centered) headed in. In fairness it was the plank of a linesman rather than the ref but still an unbelievably bad decision.

Edited by rictic

Got to say that Mark Clattenberg sending off Pogs on that Tuesday night against Brentford still goes down as the worst decision ever.

Nick Henry's effort in the FA Cup semi final replay at Maine Road was bad, but at least the ref and linesman said they did not see it cross the line. That is a matter of not seeing something.

Clattenberg stated that he saw soemnthing that no one else did. His performance that night for me rankles as not only the worst decision against Latics, but also by far the worst ever referreing performance in a Latics game

Loudest boo for a Latics win I've ever heard.

A couple first day of the season games stick out in my memory:

Notts County at home in Ritchie's first game in charge - their player kicked the ball out of Gary Kelly's hands and scored to put them 1-0 up. Goal unbelievably stood and County won 3-1.

Brighton at home, the first game after administration - we barely had eleven players to field and defeat was inevitable, but it really felt liked the Gods were against us when a Brighton shot hit no one and went out behind our goal. Goal kick you would think, but a corner was awarded from which they scored. That goal meant it was 1-0 at half-time and Dowie had to be intercepted by stewards when trying to get to the ref as the teams headed to the tunnel. Ended up losing 3-1....

Edited by JoeP

A couple first day of the season games stick out in my memory:

Notts County at home in Ritchie's first game in charge - their player kicked the ball out of Gary Kelly's hands and scored to put them 1-0 up. Goal unbelievably stood and County won 3-1.

Brighton at home, the first game after administration - we barely had eleven players to field and defeat was inevitable, but we it really felt liked the Gods were against us when a Brighton shot hit no one and went out behind our goal. Goal kick you would think, but a corner was awarded from which they scored. That goal meant it was 1-0 at half-time and Dowie had to be intercepted by stewards when trying to get to the ref as the teams headed to the tunnel. Ended up losing 3-1....

I remember that, someone tried to get on the pitch in the paddock. Then in the 2nd half we did the same thing to their keeper and he blew for a free kick

I'd agree, Clattenberg had stinker that night. Given his unusual surname I remembered it, and was amazed when he popped up as a Premier League referee.

But, I'm not bitter and I don't bear grudges!

:ranting: