Tarkowski

I'm not saying Tarky covered himself in glory tonight, although his challenge to get the ball back that led to M'Voto's goal was great.

But he doesn't deserve a critical thread of his own when our goalkeeper was the one who brought them back into the game with a real howler.

So that's one route into the Europa League closed.

Let's concentrate on the league now.

Woah woah woah...

You cant slag alex 'goldenballs' cisak off on here!

Madine, who Wednesday paid as much for as we loose in a season was in his pocket until he was dragged off.

Tarky is still young and is still learning the game, playing alongside Byrne who was never that quick will help. But I do think that the back four that started tonight is a bit too slow for this league.

Nadine wasn't dragged off, he asked to come off injured. So that really wasn't a Dave Jones master stroke either!

I don't think anyone wants to bury Tarkowski in negative feedback but ultimately he is playing week in, week out and not performing. He needs to switch on for the full game, and not just twenty minute patches.

He has promise, and was up against a tough opponent in O'Grady - his Twitter comments bode well if he is ignoring the cotton wool brigade and acknowledging failings.

Nadine wasn't dragged off, he asked to come off injured. So that really wasn't a Dave Jones master stroke either!

I knew he wasn't fully fit but I'd expect a starter to last longer than the 29 minutes he did. If he had scored or even actually done something aside from remaining in Tarky's pocket then I doubt he would have asked to come off

Tarky is gonna learn and get better and better but you cant teach pace if you aint got it, you aint got it .........when he was 17 he didnt seem quicker than Gregan ....need a centre half, a left winger and that knob Leon Knight up front ...last seen at glentoran gotta be cheap!

Went to the game, then went home and watched it on sky+…….and I come on here today expecting to see a a thread dedicated to 1 of our players; but I didn't think it would be Tarky - fully expected it to be about the poor Alex Cisak..

Jeez, some people really do watch different games to the one's I do.

For the 1st 30mins, I thought Tarky was being that dominant against Madine that Dave Jones had took him off (couldn't see the ice pack from where I sit). He carried on his excellent display vs City and looked every inch the young CB who will go onto a higher level sooner rather than later.

Now - at the game, and watching back - I'll admit he's jointly culpriple for the 3rd with Cisak, but other than being exposed twice for pace from the electirc footed Antonio, I'm not sure what else he's done to deem a thread against him - with people proclaiming he's not ready, too error prone and shouldn't be in the 1st X1.

We were excellent in the 1st half. Dave Jones changed it pre-half time, gave them a rocket at half time - and we didn't react to it. Queue the turn-a-round in the game - nothing to do with Tarky, more to do with a very good manager changing his tactics and a not-so-good one failing to react. Feck all to do with our 19 year CB that.

IMO once Sheff Weds had changed, and after half time - PD should have sent the lads out to stoically defend and give absolutely nothing away for the 1st 10mins of the 2nd half - fully expecting the Wednesday enslaught….we didn't. They came at us - and after Cisak's piss-poor effort for the 1st goal, we looked every inch a young team who weren't being guided or told to change anything.

I blame the management for last night, not a promising young Cb who actually didn't do a lot wrong during the game…..

Tarky is gonna learn and get better and better but you cant teach pace if you aint got it, you aint got it .........when he was 17 he didnt seem quicker than Gregan ....need a centre half, a left winger and that knob Leon Knight up front ...last seen at glentoran gotta be cheap!

tarky needs to learn quick.

Every time (not many, granted) I've seen Tarkowski he's been out-paced, out-muscled and lacked positional awareness. Experience will eventually make him a better player but I think League One will be his ceiling. At the moment he still isn't ready for regular first team football. Has he ever had a loan spell in the BSP or anything?

Every time (not many, granted) I've seen Tarkowski he's been out-paced, out-muscled and lacked positional awareness. Experience will eventually make him a better player but I think League One will be his ceiling. At the moment he still isn't ready for regular first team football. Has he ever had a loan spell in the BSP or anything?

Couldn't agree more. Its not his fault we lost last night but he did show all the weaknesses he did at the end of last year which is worrying if Dickov hasn't addressed them. I'm worried that by starting him against Sheff Wed, Dickov sees him as a first choice centre half, which he really shouldn't be

Just seen the goals again (from the cracking video on another thread)

1st Goal: Ciask mistake

2nd Goal: Mvoto and Grounds are caught flat footed and COG sneaks in between them

3rd Goal: Tarkowski should have got tighter and not let COG turn

4th Goal: comes from Byrne being subbed which I think was a stupid Decision and Tarkowski was the last man against Antonnio but in no way was that his fault

Overall he did not had a bad game and looked solid until they got control of the midfield and our management team did nothing about it, even takeing off Slew and putting an extra body like Winchester in there would have helped

to have a thread on one young player he wasnt that bad is a bit :censored:, maybe we should be looking at the keeper for not stopping the first and not communicating with his defense well enough which I think is a weakness he has or maybe we should just look at the manager he just watched as we got overun

I dont care how young and in-experienced the bench is, if they are on the bench then and play a certain position you use them!

Winchester could have helped the midfield while adding extra cover for the back 4 and Byrne especially

Edited by palmer1

I agree with all of that apart from the Winchester bit. I actually don't think we needed to make a sub - I think we needed a change, but that could have been done with a tweak to way we were lining up, not a different body.

I felt if PD had matched up with Jones' change and dropped Simmo back, making a 4-5-1 - we'd have not been so obviously over-run in midfield as we were. Wes could have picked up Picnicicicicic from a deeper position; stopping him being so crucial in his link play - and leaving Simmo and Furman to go toe-to-toe with Semedo and Giles Coke. Tarky and M'Voto could have then been 2 vs 1 on O'Grady with having to worry about Picnic so much.

We got exposed through midfield whilst the manager did nothing. They were breaking at us from there, and our back 4 couldn't do much without extra help. They didn't get it, and wave after wave came. Once the 1st went in, in reality, it was a question of how many would the Wendies rack up really.

PD has to learn, and fast. He hasn't learnt from too many of his mistakes so far; just as Shez didn't really. He needs to be pro-active in his changes, and they don't necessarily need to be actual player changes either; changes to the set-up & tactics can happen during games Mr Dickov; it is allowed! And - when heads start to drop (we can all see it) - do something from the sides. Shout, ball, send messages via your leaders on the pitch, do something. Don't just hope it'll be OK, sip your tea and cross your fingers.

Big season this for PD. It was always going to be, but last night showed what a decent manager can do to a game; during a game. Dave Jones won them the tie last night - yep; O'Grady got a brace and Antonio was a threat all night; but Dave Jones's changes and half time talk saw them through to the 2nd round. now if only our young manager could do that every now & again…..

my only thinking with Winchester was that with him being a right sided defencive player it would have stopped Antonio who was their main threat which strted with about 10 to go in the first half

I wouldn't have done it right away but at 2-2 we needed to do something....I said to my Dad at that moment that our manager will do nothing and Jones has won them the game

I suggested removing a forward because at the time we where no longer a threat, the ball was not sticking and both Simpson and Slew where bystanders, we needed to hold of the ball in midfield

Simpson and Slew where losing all their one and one battles at that point

but to take Byrne off and not address the threat was match suicide although it had gone on too long by then

Edited by palmer1

Hope not, but fans should be able to pass comment without it being classed as a witchhunt.

As long as fans don't get on his back in games, that does no good at all.

we were having this discussion last night. it depends how you go about the criticism of a player, people on this thread have pointed out where he went wrong last night. but when you hear general statements like "he's rubbish", "he hasn't got the heart" then the criticism isn't justified.

I agree with the OP that the inexperience excuse can only go so far, the same mistakes last night were made in the previous match against Wednesday on Easter Monday like not picking up on set-pieces. But I think the real sign will be the next two home games against sides we'll hopefully be there or thereabout with in the League

Edited by Tommy_Fent

tarky was slow, hesitant and naive. croft was also dragged back. why? actually partly because Byrne was slaughtered down the right. where the hell was he?

we need two good defenders, now!!!

great first half. played some really good football. lots of promise from almost everyone else.

weak underbelly and small squad will cost us big time. you need a strong defence to build a team on. this is our weak spot.