We have also:

Rallied to raise about £250 for playershare in 24 hours

Been party to one charity walk and in the process of the second being organised

Been instrumental in the 92inblue event a couple of years ago

Made a fortune for the club in our time as the official board

All about perspective, init?

Dont forget the buying of junior ST's...a lot from here too, I think LDA managed 75 in the first wave. Another £750

Edited by Lags

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont forget the buying of junior ST's...a lot from here too, I think LDA managed 75 in the first wave. Another £750

Multiply that by a lifetime of renewals at adult prices and that simple "off the cuff" idea could drive so much more for Latics in the future.

We're not deliberately elusive on the figure; we don't know it. What I do know is that Alan Hardy was very keen that we didn't have access to that information as it was a far more significant sum of money than we could have imagined.

Worth emailing Neil Joy to see if anything can be done to reintroduce the arrangement?

Worth emailing Neil Joy to see if anything can be done to reintroduce the arrangement?

We became uncomfortable with the influence the club were trying to have on editorial policy (namely they don't like criticism of the club) coupled with their secrecy and lack of cooperation around finances and it became too much.

We now have a very nice working relationship with RedStar.

We became uncomfortable with the influence the club were trying to have on editorial policy (namely they don't like criticism of the club) coupled with their secrecy and lack of cooperation around finances and it became too much.

We now have a very nice working relationship with RedStar.

Correct as well imo, we don't want a big brother influence over the forum.

Fans should be entitled to their opinions about the match, club in general etc, even if it doesn't please everyone who reads it.

We'll never all be of the same opinions........but isn't that what it's all about ?

I take issue with one thing '24hours......' Said : Dickov one of the best managers in the League? Really? Based on what? His ability to tactically change things when we are behind? His deployment of Plan B (chuck it long to Smith/Taylor).

Help me out..........

I agree. It's nonsense. I've said it loads of times but Dickov is a born marketeer. He talks his way into people thinking he's a talented manager when he's yet to prove any such thing. Dowie was good at that too but he achieved far more than Dickov has.

I agree. It's nonsense. I've said it loads of times but Dickov is a born marketeer. He talks his way into people thinking he's a talented manager when he's yet to prove any such thing. Dowie was good at that too but he achieved far more than Dickov has.

Dowie had money to burn, can't really compare the two.

to say he's "one of the best managers in the league" is ridiculous, however, he has had us flirting with Wembley, got us to the 3rd round of the cup, attracted some decent signings and had us playing entertaining football at times, albeit briefly.

this does all represent progress and promise for the future.

Dave Brailsford always talks about constantly making "small gains" where his cyclists are concerned - there's an element of this with us under Dickov, in my opinion.

Dowie had money to burn, can't really compare the two.

My point was just they're quite similar in having the gift of the gab but Dowie went on to prove himself; Dickov hasn't yet. I certainly wasn't suggesting that Dickov should be achieving what Dowie did, given the discrepancy between their respective budgets.

to say he's "one of the best managers in the league" is ridiculous, however, he has had us flirting with Wembley, got us to the 3rd round of the cup, attracted some decent signings and had us playing entertaining football at times, albeit briefly.

this does all represent progress and promise for the future.

Dave Brailsford always talks about constantly making "small gains" where his cyclists are concerned - there's an element of this with us under Dickov, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Dickov's :censored:. I don't think he is but he's yet to convince me he's any better than average.

Flirting with Wembley in the Paint Pot trophy; I'm not that impressed, especially as we didn't get there. We got to the third round of the cup by knocking out two League Two sides - not an enormous achievement. I agree, though, he's made some decent signings but they haven't really pushed the club forward.

I'll take the small gains approach, definitely, but I don't see those gains yet - we're in pretty much the same state we were when Dickov arrived. What I'm hoping is that, by sticking with Dickov, we'll begin to progress.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Dickov's :censored:. I don't think he is but he's yet to convince me he's any better than average.

i agree. but "average" is better than "Penney"

Flirting with Wembley in the Paint Pot trophy; I'm not that impressed, especially as we didn't get there. We got to the third round of the cup by knocking out two League Two sides - not an enormous achievement.

but, all the same, things we'd not achieved for some time .

Statistics can prove anything! There is a correlation between average attendance and league position. I know to some extent this is self fulfilling because performance does have an effect on attendance but with the wages cap you would think it would become more obvious as time goes on. What then happened last year?

The average attendance at Boundary Park, League 1 games only, has reduced by a third over the last decade (2002/3 to 2011/12). Comparing those clubs that were also in League 2 in 2002/3 only Tranmere has shown a similar drop. Wycombe has lost a fifth, Brentford remained the same and Chesterfield, Colchester, Huddersfield & Notts County have all increased their gate.

Comparing final position with average attendance is interesting. The top three all finished in the top three. 4th, Huddersfield came 4th. Latics with the 16th highest average attendance came 16th. 16 of the 24 teams came within two places of their ranking on attendance. 3 teams, Chesterfield, Exeter and Preston did significantly worse than their average attendance ranking and three teams, Bury, Colchester and Stevenage did significantly better.

So there is a chance that we can out perform our attendance ranking but if we are to be anything better than mid table we need to either improve attendance or PD has to prove himself.

We have also:

Rallied to raise about £250 for playershare in 24 hours

Been party to one charity walk and in the process of the second being organised

Been instrumental in the 92inblue event a couple of years ago

Made a fortune for the club in our time as the official board

All about perspective, init?

Erm... Ackey in me and the moderators of OWTB saved Latics claim? Scandalous!

Innit?

I take issue with one thing '24hours......' Said : Dickov one of the best managers in the League? Really? Based on what? His ability to tactically change things when we are behind? His deployment of Plan B (chuck it long to Smith/Taylor).

Help me out..........

1. PR doesn't mean only talking a good game. It also means not undermining the players by naming individuals after they've made mistakes or had a bad game, and talking the team up when they've done well. Penney and Talbot a recent failures at this simple PR strategy.

2. Decent tactics based on a decent first XI and not much after that. The ones who come on know they've got a chance to prove themselves and they know the team will keep its basic shape. Chopping and changing to three at the back and two in the hole and all that bollocks at this level is just fannying around. Pure vanity.

3. He learns from mistakes. Like for instance I'll bet you an English farthing he plays Hughes on the left rather than Montana tonight.

4. He's been with us a while and we've not gone down yet. He's had no money, but he hasn't cried about it to the Chron and any other two-bit hack. He hasn't said: "I am the great Paul Dickov and I demand unlimited resources."

5. He's been with us a while. He's someone we should judge after eight or nine seasons rather than three. He's earned that time by keeping us up. We might look as if we're going nowhere, but I reckon we'd be going down with, for instance, Lee Clarke or Karl Robinson.

1. PR doesn't mean only talking a good game. It also means not undermining the players by naming individuals after they've made mistakes or had a bad game, and talking the team up when they've done well. Penney and Talbot a recent failures at this simple PR strategy.

2. Decent tactics based on a decent first XI and not much after that. The ones who come on know they've got a chance to prove themselves and they know the team will keep its basic shape. Chopping and changing to three at the back and two in the hole and all that bollocks at this level is just fannying around. Pure vanity.

3. He learns from mistakes. Like for instance I'll bet you an English farthing he plays Hughes on the left rather than Montana tonight.

4. He's been with us a while and we've not gone down yet. He's had no money, but he hasn't cried about it to the Chron and any other two-bit hack. He hasn't said: "I am the great Paul Dickov and I demand unlimited resources."

5. He's been with us a while. He's someone we should judge after eight or nine seasons rather than three. He's earned that time by keeping us up. We might look as if we're going nowhere, but I reckon we'd be going down with, for instance, Lee Clarke or Karl Robinson.

im not to sure about point 3 - look at SK last season, but the rest should be sticked at the top of the board in neon lights. When we have resources to bring on totally different players then we might climb the league. lumping it to the big man is more than 1 teams plan b in this division and while its not pretty it worked for Ronnie..