Eaves

Looking at this though you can't blame Tom for wanting to go to a bigger club but their comes a point where the best thing you can do to develop is just expose yourself to 1st team football. This is a player who 2 years ago would have been regular football in league 1, instead he's spent 2 years later sat in premierleague reserves and he can only now get games at a league 2 side, so you could argue that he has gone backwards in that time. Weve probably benefited from this deal financially.

I think the lesson here is to go at the right time the likes of Eaves, Spencer and even Trottman went to early. Arguably Chris Taylor went to late, Neal Eardley probably went at the right time and despite Kieran Lee not getting a game at Wednesday he reached a point in his career where it was right for him to move on from us if he was going to progress in his career.

Solely based upon that video, the fact that he is only 20 and is 6ft3 he looks like a talent for sure. That goal at Old Trafford was absolute quality however its tough to know how frequently he scores for the reserves and then producing for the 1st team is a whole new experience but he seems to have the raw ability with his feet.

We'll see how he does at Bristol Rovers, they could do with somebody to ignite their season at the moment.

Fairplay to the lad he played well under Penny but didnt he was anything special best performance was proberly Southampton away. Missed the friendly he scored a hatrick in but that was it a friendly. At the recent David Eyres night when his name mentioned we where told Dickov didnt rate him that much.

Personally i am glad he has gone elsewhere if he had come to Oldham and struggled to find form etc proberly just got slated.

I'm amazed that no-one has pointed out that he absolutely rinses Tarky for his 1st goal Vs our reserves..........

To me, from that footage (i know, i know, video can be edited to make players look world beaters) - he looks to have developed.

He was a big lad, who worked hard when he was here - but apart from the pre-season hat-trick, he never; ever, looked a goal threat whilst on the pitch for us.

In those videos, he's in & around the box, in good positions and running the channels well. That's improvement.

He was very one footed with us, on that - he's knocking them in with both right and his weaker left.

He looks to have come on.

I'll be very interested to see how he does with Brizzle Rovers in L2.

The better he does, the better for us - IIRC his transfer was loaded with add-on's and sell-on's, so if he does well & attracts interest; all the better for us. If he does well and goes back to Bolton's 1st team, all the better for us again.

Good luck to the lad i say.

• 2 weeks later...

looked very raw when he was with us, but i remember the first tim i ever saw him (stockport away i think) i said to my dad he was something special. he still had a lot of work to do in front of goal but he ran rings around multiple defences, was just lacking the end product, be it a killer pass or goal. was strong for someone so young and if it every came to him being released by bolton id have him back in a shot