Views on Crawley

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a southern fan, have not seen many matches this season. Felt that Crusoe’s round-up at the beginning of this thread was excellent and not much I would want to add. Simpson, Derbyshire and Croft were outstanding for me. Tarky has come on since I last saw him, very pleased with his show.

Disappointed in Baxter - first time I have seen him and although he obviously has skill, he simply vanished for too much of the match; I expected such a talented player to be more influential. Bouzanis made some fine saves but his overall display was a bit shaky, I thought; poor kicking, and too much punching, maybe as a result of not getting himself into position in time. Mvoto’s sending-off was just stupid - if you behave like that, that’s what you’ll get. Especially with a poor ref like this one. Agree with Crusoe about the Crawley facilities - that ticket cabin is going to be a disaster when they play clubs with big support.

Overall, a good hard-working performance. But I constantly wonder about Dickov. Individually, this is as talented a bunch of players as I have seen at Oldham for a long time. So why can he not mould them into a team that plays good football? For about 10 minutes in the second half, we looked terrific. The rest of the time, we played with skill but struggled to make chances. And the apparently tactical decision to keep virtually everybody in our own half in the last 10 minutes constantly gave them possession and could easily have cost us the match.

Exactly what I thought Gaz. Alexander should hang his :censored:ing boots up for that ridiculous display of cheating - designed to do nothing other than get another pro sent off. What a prick. Simpsons histrionics weren't much better either for their red. It's :censored: like this that has made me fall out of love with the game. All players do it now. Thoroughly fed up with it. But more fed up with the fact that refs fall for it. Unforgivable....

Simpson had been targeted all game and the red card for yet another cynical tackle on the lad was justified - saw none of the histrionics you refer to???

On a different note:- The REDZ Bar

This place must have made an absolute fortune yesterday.

One large room with a large bar down one side and a bottle bar on the otherside (for people not wanting to queue at the bar.

A couple of ovens selling pies, pasties & sausage rolls.

Several (maybe 10 - 12) screens showing the live lunchtime game.

Just what we need at BP??

I hope that Simon Corney popped in this place and had a look at it yesterday!!

As a southern fan, have not seen many matches this season. Felt that Crusoe’s round-up at the beginning of this thread was excellent and not much I would want to add. Simpson, Derbyshire and Croft were outstanding for me. Tarky has come on since I last saw him, very pleased with his show.

Disappointed in Baxter - first time I have seen him and although he obviously has skill, he simply vanished for too much of the match; I expected such a talented player to be more influential. Bouzanis made some fine saves but his overall display was a bit shaky, I thought; poor kicking, and too much punching, maybe as a result of not getting himself into position in time. Mvoto’s sending-off was just stupid - if you behave like that, that’s what you’ll get. Especially with a poor ref like this one. Agree with Crusoe about the Crawley facilities - that ticket cabin is going to be a disaster when they play clubs with big support.

Overall, a good hard-working performance. But I constantly wonder about Dickov. Individually, this is as talented a bunch of players as I have seen at Oldham for a long time. So why can he not mould them into a team that plays good football? For about 10 minutes in the second half, we looked terrific. The rest of the time, we played with skill but struggled to make chances. And the apparently tactical decision to keep virtually everybody in our own half in the last 10 minutes constantly gave them possession and could easily have cost us the match.

In response to your point about our spell of good play and the rest being poor, this is what we eradicated during our recent run of results. I'll give the players the benefit of the doubt as we had 10 men, but that was our problem at the start of the season.

We played terrifically for 15 minute spells per game at the beginning of the season but the other 75 minutes were slow and dull and lacklustre. The upturn in results was down to the extra 75 minutes that we originally wasted being a more consistent tempo and quality of play, aided by Baxter and Derbyshire's quality and workrate.

Its probably unfair to criticise the players for that characteristic reappearing when we had 10 men but I think its crucial for us to keep up this consistency for the full course of the game in order for our good form to continue.

Well done to the lads on a hard fought point in difficult circumstances against a top of the table side.

Edited by NewBlue

He raised his hands....twice!

I think it's literally hands up for this one....

Yeah, sheer stupidity got Mvoto sent off. Twice. Why give the opposition an opportunity to cheat and con the ref? JYM was an idiot.

That said, I do agree with you Dan/Gaz. The play-acting and diving culture is a massive blight on the modern game, and a huge reason why I'm getting more and more apathetic towards football in general.

One large room with a large bar down one side and a bottle bar on the otherside (for people not wanting to queue at the bar.

It'd have been better if they hadn't kicked us out due to randomly closing at half time in the city game!

Just seen the red card. Alexander does go down lack a sack but a) you can't push him any way and b ) he would have already been off for raising his hands to McFadzean's face. That first raise of the hands was surely the red card offence anyway.

Just seen the highlights. I think he might have got away with a yellow for the first raised hand as he wasn't really watching and just kinda waved him off but he had to go for the push on Alexander - though what a prick for diving like that. Is that a 3 match ban for big Jean? If we can keep Tarky fit, we should be ok - if anything Jean's looked a bit shaky at times in the last few games.

Great move for the Baxter goal. Their goal looked a bit soft to me.

Edited by bossrocks

Strange that in life the only place you can safely touch is the head (or hands) whereas in football the only place you can't touch is the head! It is typical of the way the game is run that a push with open hands to the head is dealt with in the same way as a punch - the administrators like to make it simple but end up making it unfair. Just like two players can spend the entire game swearing at each other but if the word 'black' is mentioned, would 'white' be the same, it is off with your head. It is all because so few people have any common sense.

Edited by Hands on

Also it can hold up to 200 people with stage area for live bands or DJ, and is ideal for birthday party, family or wedding celebration, with flexible catering options and tailor-made packages to suit every requirement.

Agree it's just what's needed as part of the new BP Stand.

Don't disagree with much on this thread. As someone who usually supports Crawley, standing in the Oldham end, I thought the singing was great - trouble is, the acoustics are such that whichever end is singing, it doesn't reverberate round the ground. Oldham seemed to have loads of different songs, and the thing I liked most was that they didn't revolve about slagging off the opposition team/ground/fans. The exception of course was the baiting of Adams who took it all in good part. All Crawleys chants seem to be less about encouraging their team, more about being rude about their opponents unfortunately. You have to remember that Crawley are trying to catch up groundwise - e.g. the temp covered stand and the ticket arrangements. Essentailly it's a decent non league ground. Personally, when I've been to away matches (just about every other week) they have similar arrangements for tickets - just not in a portakabin.

On the game, I thought Latics fully deserved their lead, and that seemed to wake Crawley up. It looked as if Bouzadis' goal led a charmed life in the last 10 minutes as they defended deep. I'd only seen 3 of the Latics team before (Croft, Furman and M'voto). I was impressed by Grounds who kept Adams quieter than he normally is, and Tarkowski as well as Bouzadis and Simpson. I really like Derbyshire too - reminds me of Matt Tubbs (big hero at Crawley) who is languishing on the Bournemouth bench at the moment. Anyway, a very good point earned, long may the good form continue....

Don't disagree with much on this thread. As someone who usually supports Crawley, standing in the Oldham end, I thought the singing was great - trouble is, the acoustics are such that whichever end is singing, it doesn't reverberate round the ground. Oldham seemed to have loads of different songs, and the thing I liked most was that they didn't revolve about slagging off the opposition team/ground/fans. The exception of course was the baiting of Adams who took it all in good part. All Crawleys chants seem to be less about encouraging their team, more about being rude about their opponents unfortunately. You have to remember that Crawley are trying to catch up groundwise - e.g. the temp covered stand and the ticket arrangements. Essentailly it's a decent non league ground. Personally, when I've been to away matches (just about every other week) they have similar arrangements for tickets - just not in a portakabin.

On the game, I thought Latics fully deserved their lead, and that seemed to wake Crawley up. It looked as if Bouzadis' goal led a charmed life in the last 10 minutes as they defended deep. I'd only seen 3 of the Latics team before (Croft, Furman and M'voto). I was impressed by Grounds who kept Adams quieter than he normally is, and Tarkowski as well as Bouzadis and Simpson. I really like Derbyshire too - reminds me of Matt Tubbs (big hero at Crawley) who is languishing on the Bournemouth bench at the moment. Anyway, a very good point earned, long may the good form continue....

We had a good time yesterday.Small friendly club.Liked the big football at the roundabout next to the ground.Shame our driver missed the turnoff!!!!Redz was good .£2 for a bottle of Magners!!Decent catering/small side bar inside the ground.Glad the Ernie applause was taken up by both sets of fans.

A good battling point. JYM was stupid but Alexander is a :censored:ing disgrace to the name Professional Football. However the referee was pathetic, I mean we really are moving towards a game were every contact is deemed a booking, it's getting ridiculous.

We never looked in trouble, Boozy made a good block in the first half and the goal came at a time when Latics were pushing on, it was a helluva deflection and reward for a good battling display, Crawley were pisspoor imo and more evidence of what a poor league this is. Once we scored we should have sewn the game up when Derbyshire missed poorly imo, his extra touch widened the angle and allowed the keeper to close him down with a good save. Their goal when it came was a result of us returning to type by sitting deep, Furman coming on simply meant we dropped deep at a time we could have seriously done some damage on the break against a team pushing for a an equailser. In the final quarter Bouzy made two terrific saves, but we collectively went to sleep for their goal and although it is a cracking point and well deserved, any side worth their salt will see it as two points lost. I'm mystified at how they are second as they offered very little, I have to say the pitch was particularly poor. But the biggest bonus was the collective spirit to play 10 against 11 for about an hour and never really look in trouble and by the time they were reduced to 10 we were on top.

Boozy - Three terrific saves, caught out a little for the goal. Flapped a little more than he has done lately. Needs to be aware he has a very good goalkeeper chomping at the bit behind him.

Wabara - After the card played much deeper than he has previously, maybe to compensate our lack of pace in the middle. Never seems to put a foot wrong. Perhaps went to sleep along with Croft for the equaliser by not closing the lad down on the short corner.

Byrne - Hardly noticed him, which is a good thing.

JYM - Ok Alexander went down quicker than Katie Price but to raise your hands one is stupid, twice borders on insanity.

Grounds - Kept adams quiet, who is quality. A good steady performance, could have shown a bit more assurance when he had a clear sight of goal late on.

Croft - Worked hard when breaking, kept the ball, went to sleep a little for the goal but ran all day.

Wesolowski - Got stuck in, typical Wes performance think he enjoyed the battle out there

Simmo - Better than his other recent performances but still constantly surrenders possession

Montano - Sad to see him sacrificed after the red card, but did look to be struggling and to keep his feet on a wet, heavy uneven surface.

Derbyshire - Ran all day, exactly what a team down to 10 needs. I'm surprised at his work ethic as strikers from a higher level we have brought in previously haven't put in as much graft as this lad. Delighted he's staying, gutted he missed that chance to clinch it!

Baxter - probably his quietest game yet still buried a difficult chance, helped by a massive deflection. Please sign him up Simon!

Subs:

Tarky - Seems to play better alongside Byrne and looked assured. He's come back from his demotion well.

Furman - For me he needs to up his attacking game, too much dropping deep and sideways passing again.

Smith - Not much time to make an impact, should have got a 1/4 of an hour more imo

The ref: Every ref I have seen this season has been poor, this guy was possibly the worst. Something has to be done. For me they're being promoted too quickly and simply don't understand the match situation as it plays out. Theory is one element, the reality is all too different. He gave himself time to think over JYM yet still showed a red card in spite of blatant cheating. Do we want referees or robots?

All in all a great day out, happy with a point and carnage ensued too and from Crawley aboard the Rifle bus. The pre-match pub was a belter too with grub laid on in comfortable surroundings with the lunch-time kick off with darts and pool too. Back in Oldham for 10.15pm after several short stops and supply stops! (Mainly for Rose wine) Special mention for the legend that is Bernard that drove our bus, for keeping his nut down and doing one before the over-zealous plod could raid our beer like they did with the first Rifle bus. Bernard appeared 15 minutes after full time with our supplies safely in tact…….

Woke up this morning to 'Jose Baxter Baby…' and 'Rose baxter Baby.." going round my head along with the unlimited versions of Posh Spice is a Slapper…….

Right time for a pint, might as well top up…it is half-term after-all…….

Edited by oafcprozac

So why wasn't Alexander booked for pushing Mvoto? In fact why wasn't he booked again for what I think is now called "simulation" when he walked 3 paces and then threw himself to the ground! Simpson should have been booked later on as well.

As someone else said on this thread, Mvoto might as well of punched both players because it would appear in modern football rules that a gentle limp wristed push is now as equally bad as a punch.

He knows the rules though. Ref had to send him off. If it was the other way round we'd have been mocking an opponent's player for being as stupid as to do it in front of the ref/lambasting the ref if he'd let him stay on the pitch for it. He's only got himself to blame.

FWIW I can see the point the rules are making. If the FA/FIFA/whoever's responsible added a caveat to say it was only a red for being 'forceful' or 'malicious' etc then it would be too subjective and refs would be torn apart for making such a decision. At the moment the rule is clear in black and white. You don't raise your hands to someone's face and if you do, you're off. Simple.

Just seen the highlights. Was that all mvoto did? If so Alexander is a disgrace. Boozy beaten at the neat post for the goal albeit through a crowd. Great bounce for the goal.

Awful from Alexander.............but not as bad as the Burton player who got Ricky Ravenhill sent off, now that was a disgrace

Their goal when it came was a result of us returning to type by sitting deep, Furman coming on simply meant we dropped deep at a time we could have seriously done some damage on the break against a team pushing for a an equailser.

Furman came off the bench after they had scored the equaliser...

just back today after an overnight stay, visiting an old aquaintance not far from Crawley so an excuse to make the trip.

first things first what a :censored:hole - makes our 3 sided :censored: tip look like a palace - their club shop is one big portacabin as is their ticket office and the away side stand is simply just tiered events seating with a marquee over it - shocking they are allowed in this league.

As for the game a fairly drab affair - great effort from our lads throughout though. Special mention for Crofty and Derby - absolutely magnificent in effort.

Jean was stupid to do it but for me its not a red card - ok he pushes him but a little common sense a yellow and a stern word is all thats needed - other challenges in games that are worthy of reds are given yellows and yellows no card at all - for me its just sad that no ref uses fair common logic and does all he can to not send off a player.

If that had been against our team, i would've expected a yellow cause its a daft thing to do but not malicious in any way, not as if he headbutted him.

So now we're facing RM without or best team, brilliant.

first half nothing in it at all, we looked in control. Second half again nothing in it, a drab game until about the hour mark when we scored and for those 10 minutes we really went for them - Derby should have bagged but then again at 10 v 10 we just sat back instead of going for it.

No doubt the lads felt the effects of the lesser man in their legs but we had them on the ropes as Quark said but never went for them after the goal.

Furman came on and as usual went and sat on the edge of our box marking space with his arse instead of challenging their men and closing down - exactly what would have stopped them scoring - NO ONE closed him down at all - so from nothing yet again with us its 1-1 and theyre back in it.

Last 10 with our new defensive tactics naturally we invited them to do their best to get a winner which they almost did.

In the circumstances at 10 v 10 a poor 2nd half - no need to bring Furman on - if anything Smith should have been on for Simpson and to go with him up top with Derby and Baxter just off, really wouldve had them worried.

The one chance furman had to break forward into the box into space, he actually immediately turned back to go away from their goal and lost possession - he really is a nothing player - marks space and certainly never gets forward, like he genuinely doesn't want to attack anyone.

If we can then sell Furman - him and Wes are DEFENSIVE midfielders all day long - Wes is the better player in doing this job - we simply look :censored: with those two in there - they get it, pass it to the wingers who can only hit it long to the strikers as no one bothers to run up the pitch and get at teams.

Even if theyre being told to 'keep their shape' as a midfielder if you have half a brain you would surely know that when the winger/striker has it that they need suport and its your job to get up their and link it all together............?

I'm now convinced that Furman only bothered to attack against Crewe and Preston because we really did need the results full stop so everyone had to be on it.

Now that the dust has settled the midfield has reverted to type and it is just completely ludicrous, illogical and unacceptable for a professional midfield duo to be as defensive minded and ridgid as our 2. If its the manager telling them to play like this then number 1) they should have the brains to judge the game situations and realise that they DO need to get forward and 2) i would question whether we have the right guy in charge - Royle had MM and NH similar players but one or both of them always got forward and followed the attacking play up the pitch.

He may not tackle ala Wes but my god do we look a more threatening team with Simmo in there - he at least runs FORWARD with the ball if nothing else.

Sell Furman so he can go and defend a 1-0 defeat with the Bafananananas and lets keep Baxter and Derby til May, play simpson or Mellor in there.

HAVE to get 6 out of 6 in the 2 homes games - how Crawley are 2nd is beyond me, as is Tranmoore being 1st.

On paper we have one of the best 11 of 'established' and talented league one players in the league - we should be doing an awful lot better than we are and the lack of ability to win more than 2 games in a row is a really worry - 3-4 wins consecutive and playoffs are there and is where we should be, in my opinion with the players we have.

Against the crowds we get Corney has again allowed PD to establish a genuinely talented 12-14 players of real quality and league one ability - time we showed it CONSISTENTLY.

Well done to the lads for effort but 2 dropped for me given the state of the game in the last 20 at 10v10.

Frustrating season so far yet again - i am hoping a big cup run/payday and/or the sale of Furman keeps the current starting team intact until May and we reverse the old trend of starting great and finishing poor to give us all some cheer come May.

Get on a run and we can do something - nothing in the league to fear AT ALL and that's what nags away whilst we're 17th...........

KTF

Edited by shefflatic

A good battling point. JYM was stupid but Alexander is a :censored:ing disgrace to the name Professional Football. However the referee was pathetic, I mean we really are moving towards a game were every contact is deemed a booking, it's getting ridiculous.

You might as well say that about every footballer who's been on the receiving end of a "raised hand". There's been players sent off for less.

Jean's been fantastic this season but it's his fault alone that he got sent off. What Alexander did is irrelevant...

Edited by JoeP

Where have I said that JYM did not deserve his red card?

It still does not make Alexander's hysterical reaction any less embarrassing and yes I thought Taylor was an embarrassment too when he was doing similar. And yes it is prevalent in the game, and until a referee says 'get up and man the :censored: up and here's a card for your trouble', we'll continue to see such over-dramatic actions.

For what it's worth I thought Simpson over-reacted too and the red card for their lad was harsh. What gets my coat is where's the consistency? Montano has been on the end of some shocking challenges this season and at worst the culprit has received a booking...

Where have I said that JYM did not deserve his red card?

It still does not make Alexander's hysterical reaction any less embarrassing and yes I thought Taylor was an embarrassment too when he was doing similar. And yes it is prevalent in the game, and until a referee says 'get up and man the :censored: up and here's a card for your trouble', we'll continue to see such over-dramatic actions.

For what it's worth I thought Simpson over-reacted too and the red card for their lad was harsh. What gets my coat is where's the consistency? Montano has been on the end of some shocking challenges this season and at worst the culprit has received a booking...

Alexander’s not our problem – I think calling him “a :censored:ing disgrace to professional football” is a bit harsh. JYM should have known the potential consequences of his actions.

I don’t think even Taylor was ever as deceiving as Alexander was yesterday. Our players should have the intelligence to expect the worst of the opposition, though. I’m as blasé about Alexander’s antics yesterday as I am about Taylor’s when he played for us. Like it or lump it – it’s just modern day football, I’m afraid...

Edited by JoeP

Alexander’s not our problem – I think calling him “a :censored:ing disgrace to professional football” is a bit harsh. JYM should have known the potential consequences of his actions.

Oh come on, JYM was stupid and maybe deserved to go for stupidity alone (I mean he gifted the referee the chance) but Alexander isn't only a disgrace to professional football, he's a disgrace to mankind on that display. What a pathetic, sorry excuse we are for a species if a little push in the chest leaves you rolling about on the floor clinching your face in agony. I actually feel embarrassed. Not to mention the fact that Alexander pushed JYM first, maybe he should have rolled about on the floor kicking and screaming as well, boo :censored:ing hoo!

Whoever said this sort of thing has made them fall out of love with the game is bang on. It's pathetic and quite frankly cringeworthy, football has been ruined beyond repair as a contact sport.