Transfer window

The transfer window is only a matter of weeks away.

From what I can glean from you guys and LP, we have a defence that switches off, lack of bite, and going forward in Midfield and misfiring strikers. And players that do not apparently listen according to Dickov.

There is talent in the side though, we know.

So PD can wheel and deal 2 postions, who would you get rid of?

With the money that we will save from letting Derbyshire and Baxter go I'd love to try to get Ryan Lowe or Leon Clarke preferabley. Once the 2 strikers have gone we don't have much after that so our priority HAS to be a striker.

Our squad is already thin so I don't want to lose more players especially as the 2 strikers will be gone.

Other than that its fine in terms of individual ability, we are strong in quality in most positions but with youngsters covering, maybe another cover at CB would be all. The major issue is the lack of form so I suspect most people would rather have a change of manager.

If we are to get rid of Dickov then I'd like to allow a new manager a transfer window to get some of their own players in.

Edited by NewBlue

If we loose both MD and Jose, which seems likely we need at least another striker, if not 2. If we loose Wabara, which seems less likely, we need another defender, preferably a versatile one that can play 2 positions well.

I'd be happy to allow one of our GKs to move on, I think Cisak would be the better bet as whilst IIRC both only have until the end of the season left on their contracts, we get compensation for Bouzanis, we get nowt for Cisak if he goes. Plus Bouzanis is currently our number 1. If it came down to keeping both Bouzanis and Cisak or getting a striker the likes of Clarke/ Lowe or even keeping Jose or MD for the rest of the season I'd drive one of the GKs myself.

If we loose both MD and Jose, which seems likely we need at least another striker, if not 2. If we loose Wabara, which seems less likely, we need another defender, preferably a versatile one that can play 2 positions well.

I'd be happy to allow one of our GKs to move on, I think Cisak would be the better bet as whilst IIRC both only have until the end of the season left on their contracts, we get compensation for Bouzanis, we get nowt for Cisak if he goes. Plus Bouzanis is currently our number 1. If it came down to keeping both Bouzanis and Cisak or getting a striker the likes of Clarke/ Lowe or even keeping Jose or MD for the rest of the season I'd drive one of the GKs myself.

We have a year extension option on Cisak's contract. IIRC, he signed a two year deal with a year extension option

We have a year extension option on Cisak's contract. IIRC, he signed a two year deal with a year extension option

OK, even so due to the GK rules on loans I'd let one of them go out on loan doubly so in order to get the required quality of forward in.

What I'd like to see - Baxter signing for 2 years, Derbyshire extends to the end of the season, Wabara extends to the end of the season. If we have to offload a few players to make this happen then possibly Cisak and Furman.

What is more likely to happen - Wabara extends to the end of the season. Baxter and Derbyshire gone. Cisak sold.

If that happens then I think we could afford to (and need to) bring in at least a new striker. Defence isn't too bad when we haven't lost people to injuries and bookings - just need to score a few more and we would win more games.

Heard Derbyshire is more or less a done deal until the end of the season. Come from a reliable source but as always, wait and see.

Personally I'd cash in on Furman and Cisak and offload Simpson. Free up some of the budget and bring in stronger midfielders that can properly put themselves about and who can pop in the box to score goals. Someone like a Stephens or a Lowe or shock horror give Mellor a proper run!!!!!

And let's try and bring in someone with out and out pace up top.

One more thing, controversial and I know he's a favourite on here but Croft for me has only shown fleeting glimpses, give Sutherland, MIllar and Hughes a real chance. Croft for me can go back to Derby, you can see why they want rid, he's nowhere near the player he was.

And if Wabara stays, let him cross the :censored:ing halfway line….

Edited by oafcprozac

If we continue to stutter along as we are there will be no chance of keeping Derbyshire and Baxter.

I'm not sure even Warbara will stay at the end of his loan period,as we could be looking for a new manager by then!!

The next 3 games will no doubt make or break our season....we shall see!

Heard Derbyshire is more or less a done deal until the end of the season. Come from a reliable source but as always, wait and see.

Personally I'd cash in on Furman and Cisak and offload Simpson. Free up some of the budget and bring in stronger midfielders that can properly put themselves about and who can pop in the box to score goals. Someone like a Stephens or a Lowe or shock horror give Mellor a proper run!!!!!

One more thing, controversial and I know he's a favourite on here but Croft for me has only shown fleeting glimpses, give Sutherland, MIllar and Hughes a real chance. Croft for me can go back to Derby, you can see why they want rid, he's nowhere near the player he was.

Agree with all that except your opinion on Croft. He may not be the player was first time round but he is still very good on the ball, very rarely gives it away and is more than good enough for this division. Perhaps a move into midfield would suit his game?

Furman ?

Possible money from Charlton if Stephens goes....

Heard a few weeks back (non-reliable source) that championship clubs were sniffing around for him following his successes playing for his country. Although I suppose international duties during the January Transfer window might put people off buying him.

The answer is to play him on the wing, he will certainly go past more full backs than Croft.

When he first arrived he was bombing on for fun, now his runs forward have been restricted. It started when JYM was sent off at Crawley and has carried on. Dickov is terrified of being caught on the break thus restricts players getting forward. See Aidan White and Cedric Evina's minimal impact during our poor runs, look how he held Mellor back from being the attacking threat he had been initially at Left-Back and time and again Lee was told to stay back at RB.

On top of this we are again seeing a striker suffering from a lack of service due to the rigidity of our system of keeping the midfield AND fullbacks deep, as we did we Tonk, and then Kuqi, even Derbyshire becoming mightily pissed off...

Dickov knew we had to go for it at Crewe and took off the shackles, for me they are now very much back on and it started after going down to 10 at Crawley (That was understandable).

For me he panicked after the Carlisle drubbing and let's be honest it was, and he's reverted to type and the result is the return to toothless performances, this is why he has to go….

I'll stick my neck out now and state we'll be nilled at Bournemouth on Saturday….

Agree with all that except your opinion on Croft. He may not be the player was first time round but he is still very good on the ball, very rarely gives it away and is more than good enough for this division. Perhaps a move into midfield would suit his game?

+1. Croft is a classy player - and is deservedly a favourite of mine.

What I'd like to see - Baxter signing for 2 years, Derbyshire extends to the end of the season, Wabara extends to the end of the season. If we have to offload a few players to make this happen then possibly Cisak and Furman.

What is more likely to happen - Wabara extends to the end of the season. Baxter and Derbyshire gone. Cisak sold.

If that happens then I think we could afford to (and need to) bring in at least a new striker. Defence isn't too bad when we haven't lost people to injuries and bookings - just need to score a few more and we would win more games.

Tony Mowbray was at the game saturday - possibly he was watching one or two of the Tranmere lads - but a decent rumour that I am starting right now is that Baxter was his main reason for being at the game...luckily Jose was way off the pace!

If our defenders aren't allowed passed the halfway line how come Tarky did his mazy run? Wabara gets forward when he can, his end product when he does is a bit lacking but he certainly gets forward. Grounds does too, he regularly overlapped Montano on Saturday.

I noticed that Grounds overlapped really badly. Instead of making himself an option, he clogged up the space around Montano and made it even more difficult to make space for himself. Tarky had the mazy run but that was a 1-off and Wabara has been off the pace for the last few matches not because of Croft's play but in his own right he's been bad, given the ball away and not been his composed self.

Its our Centre-Midfielder's reluctance, whether or not Dickov allows it, to get forward and attack. Furman and Wes are too content to sit back and pass sideways. They don't create a link between our talisman, Baxter, and the defence properly. If they did their jobs efficiently then Baxter would be on the ball more often in the hole in front of the opposition defenders. Like was said before, against Crewe Wes and Furman pushed upfield and pressured higher and it paid dividends.

Before we get rid of players, we need to be tactically better. It would be a real shame to see Furman leave and play better for another side when he is given the right instructions, he's proved he can do it so why isn't he, or Dickov learning?

Edited by NewBlue

Tony Mowbray was at the game saturday - possibly he was watching one or two of the Tranmere lads - but a decent rumour that I am starting right now is that Baxter was his main reason for being at the game...luckily Jose was way off the pace!

He was watching Ben Gibson, Trannies have him on loan from Boro

Our problem is not defending! Our problem remains goals for. If, as we expect, MD and Jose leave in January it will be any two of Simpson, Smith and Taylor so if PD is right, that Smith and Taylor should not start a game, strikers is what we will need.

Furman will stay put and go for a better contract at the end of the season. How much does anyone one think a club in 19th spot can get for their second string goalkeeper? In my view, showing my age, Croft has been our best player these last two games - well that is until Smith came on. I will never understand why Simpson starts before Smith. Our best spell was with Jose as central midfield, could we have called that a diamond(?), and Smith up front.