LEE HUGHES......

futchers briefs

Good signing?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hughes a good thing for Latics?

• Yes, 100%
    • Only time will tell, but probably YES
    • No, 100%
    • Only time will tell, but probably NO

ok ok. Liddell then :lol: Seriously I didnt think about the West Brom connection but its not the point, it could only take for one or 2 of ANY of the squad to pipe up about it and we end up with a back room problem, thats all Im saying.

Apart from that I have no issues with him coming to Oldham and hopefully helping to send us up. Good luck to him I say.

It could work the other way though and help with giving us a bit of a "siege mentality" in the Dressing Room when inevitably, Hughes gets castigated at away matches and at home.

This bonding is exactly what Nigel Adkins engendered into his Scunthorpe side following our match there. Without it, they would have plummeted. Instead, they kicked on and strolled the League.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could work the other way though and help with giving us a bit of a "siege mentality" in the Dressing Room when inevitably, Hughes gets castigated at away matches and at home.

This bonding is exactly what Nigel Adkins engendered into his Scunthorpe side following our match there. Without it, they would have plummeted. Instead, they kicked on and strolled the League.

I agree, Inspiral. It's more likely that there'll be a siege mentality. As many have said, football dressing rooms are not generally compared to monasteries. And there's no reason why anyone should want to cast the first stone, because Hughes looks like a pretty tidy piece of work.

BTW - They won't be debating it in Parliament this week, because it's Happy Holiday time again. :grin:

I've just seen the Chron headline. All. Time. Classic.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill
Editied as it kept coming back as a "new" post. Strange!

A blackpool fan (lasher scum :angry: ) has just tried to have this moral debate with me, but when I pointed to their rapist chairman, they had nothing more to offer on the subject.

The simple fact of the matter is thus: Hughes has served his time, and in the eyes of the law that is due punishment. Now he is free to live his life as he chooses, and go back to a state of normality. If he were in any other profession, no-one would bat an eyelid, but as this is football and it's such a big part of the public's interest, there is a huge fuss kicked up. Any other club who'd had the nous to jump in and sign him would have been making a huge coup. I'm just glad we got in there first if I'm honest. :)

At least I know now who to get on the back of my shirt.

Keep the Faith

This post is now getting really long

I would just like to end my view by a few words,

Patrick Kluivert

A.C. Milan

However at this time Kluivert's personal life began to cause problems. He was charged with manslaughter following his involvement in a fatal car accident, to which he received community service and a driving ban. He was also charged with rape on a separate occasion,

PK

The only difference with Lee Hughes and Kluivert imo is that Kluivert used an expensive lawyer to get away with serving time, while Hughes finally held his hands up and did his time. But Kluivert was welcomed back into footballs society !!

being in :jailed: for 6years has he had any chance to play football? and is he match fit ? i say give the lad a chance to prove himself ,and hopefully we will have a goal scorer

Only been in jail for 3 years and yes he has been playing for the prison team, I dont know how often they play though but I should imagine he has been spending time keeping as fit as any proffessional footballer seeing as he is limited to what he can and cant do.

Only been in jail for 3 years and yes he has been playing for the prison team, I dont know how often they play though but I should imagine he has been spending time keeping as fit as any proffessional footballer seeing as he is limited to what he can and cant do.

He came on as sub in his first game and pulled his team back from 2-0 down. You could say that he got them out of jail...

(The bit about the match is true.) :grin:

Guest gillianfn

I'm the last person to laugh about this kind of thing, but one of my friends emailed me earlier saying:- Just as long as Lee Hughes doesn't ask, "Would anyone mind if I drove the team bus for a little while?" I did smile, despite my views.

Guest sheridans_world
I'm the last person to laugh about this kind of thing, but one of my friends emailed me earlier saying:- Just as long as Lee Hughes doesn't ask, "Would anyone mind if I drove the team bus for a little while?" I did smile, despite my views.

A little bit of comfort for you, he was banned from driving for 10 years and so wont get back on the roads until 2014...

A little bit of comfort for you, he was banned from driving for 10 years and so wont get back on the roads until 2014...

That's okay then, because usually, once someone is banned, they don't get behind the wheel again until their ban is lifted and they've retaken their test and what have you.

Unless you are called Jermaine Pennant of course. :)

The more I think about it, the quesier I get.

There's a high risk that he'll mess up. He's just another bloke, right? And two thirds of lags reoffend. That's some risk.

Also, a lot of the news reports from the time of his conviction and sentencing promise things like "his career is now in ruins..." and all of that stuff, as if it would be some consolation to the family. What they are actually saying is that his career ought to be in ruins, and anyone who takes him on when he gets out is a disgrace.

:(

I think this could be a quality signing for Sheridan – if it pays off.

He has spotted and opportunity and grabbed it so fair play.

What Hughes did was appalling, but everyone deserves a second chance and at the end of the day he is only human and he will be paying for what he did every day of his life. He is getting a lot of media attention simply because he is a footballer.

On the other hand I feel for the family because they are going to see his name almost every week in papers and be reminded of their loss and his crime.

It makes me angry though – why the Flip do footballers drink drive??

They think they are above the law and the punishments should be harsher for them, they seem to always get away with things drink driving, assault etc. Its not like they can’t afford taxis is it?

My reaction is very mixed – but I’m putting money on him to be league one top goal scorer :wink:

i feel sorry for every one who was hurnt in the accident, but hes been punished for it if an every day person did that it would be on the tv a day or to and it would never be hurd of again, but on a footballing note wat we need is a proven goal scorer and that is what he is if he keeps smashing goals in i wont complain, but id rather keep porter for 1

Well I read all this thread and bits of other stuff on JK and can we have a voting option that says Don't Know, cos I really don't.

In footballing terms yes, in all other ways I'm struggling to think how this man being associated with our club is a good thing.

Something in the back of my mind keeps telling me this will end up a colossal mistake by OAFC.

I know and accept folks should be given a second chance and I know hes' served his time and if he wasn't high profile nobody would give a monkeys chuff about him going back to work, the fact is he is high profile, he is for want of a better phrase "bad news" and he is being linked with our club.

Don't know, not convinced, and as Gillian says if he'd signed for say Tranmere the reams of faux indignation received by us from others would be being equally vented at Tranmere by Latics fans. But he's not off to anywhere else and therefore we see the need to justify everything despite what I suspect many of us have previously felt about people like Hughes.

No not convinced and I'm not actually convinced he'll actually end up at BP either. Anyway its gained us lots of publicity, all bad (and I don't buy into that all publicity is good publicity crap) and possibly gained us a Premiership/Championship calibre player, and will get him on the cheap too I'll bet, he cynically said.

No not convinced and I'm not actually convinced he'll actually end up at BP either. Anyway its gained us lots of publicity, all bad (and I don't buy into that all publicity is good publicity crap) and possibly gained us a Premiership/Championship calibre player, and will get him on the cheap too I'll bet, he cynically said.

I think another key point is the fact that someone will offer this boy a contract - if we want to pull out, some other club will pick him off - meaning we will have taken all this flak for nohing other to see him become the leading scorer in the league for something else..

As you say stipe - on a footballing reasons this player will be agreat signing for us - and I would rather se him in our team than any other...

Pretty sure the player will come to us, for the club to take this amount of publicity they have to be very certain, and have some serious commitment from the player that he is in the right frame of mind, and that he will definitely come to us...

The worst situation we could imagine is if we get hammered for this announcement and the fans react so badly, and because of it we pull out, and then a Tranmere of this world jumps in and picks him up unnoticed... and then he takes them up...

We need to keep the faith - Shez says he wants this player, that is good enough for me...