Baxter hopes "fading"

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a short career as a footballer, I wouldn't begrudge him for wanting to move forward in his career as it probably looks a lot shorter to him than it does to us.

Might seem rash from our perspective but he's got as far as he can with us. Forest in FA Cup was the pinnacle and he probably expects a battering against Liverpool. He's got bigger and better things in store and I really do wish him the best.

It's easy to say thanks to players that leave but I really am thankful that he's been here. He's treated us to some brilliant football and been absolutely no hassle.

Thanks Jose Baxter, Baby. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

It's a short career as a footballer, I wouldn't begrudge him for wanting to move forward in his career as it probably looks a lot shorter to him than it does to us.

Might seem rash from our perspective but he's got as far as he can with us. Forest in FA Cup was the pinnacle and he probably expects a battering against Liverpool. He's got bigger and better things in store and I really do wish him the best.

It's easy to say thanks to players that leave but I really am thankful that he's been here. He's treated us to some brilliant football and been absolutely no hassle.

Thanks Jose Baxter, Baby. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

I really dislike the argument that "football's a short career". As though once they've retired from the game they're incapable of doing any other job.

I really dislike the argument that "football's a short career". As though once they've retired from the game they're incapable of doing any other job.

I don't know about ANY other job. I wouldn't want someone like Jason Mcateer doing my a major operation on me!

Being a professional footballer is a very short career, it's a fact. 20 years maximum, and that's for goalkeepers. Baxter, with his chunky build, will probably only have another 13 years left. Compare that to most other careers and it's nothing. It probably seems even shorter when you're actually playing, too.

You can get another job afterwards, but the profession will never live up to being a footballer.

This could be interesting ....Jobs Jason Mcateer couldn't do.

a coach for one!

I bet he couldnt carry more than 11 passengers..............................sorry its late - bed time I think

Being a professional footballer is a very short career, it's a fact. 20 years maximum, and that's for goalkeepers. Baxter, with his chunky build, will probably only have another 13 years left. Compare that to most other careers and it's nothing. It probably seems even shorter when you're actually playing, too.

You can get another job afterwards, but the profession will never live up to being a footballer.

An average third division footballer who hasn't been a dick should have no problem retiring from football owning a nice house with a decent income set aside for the rest of his life. If they want to live in luxury they might need to do something on top in some of the 40 or so years the rest of them might be working.

Of course, I can understand why they might want to earn more and just retire in luxury anyway

It's a job. But it's a job unlike one that any of us know about. None of us know anything about what it's actually like to be a professional sportsman. What it's like to score a goal. What it's like the have a few thousand people worship you. Or what the allure of playing against Liverpool would actually be. It's nothing like a big meeting in work, and shouldn't be spoken about like it is. Unless of course somebody has a meeting coming up in front of a 10k strong crowd, a TV audience in the millions and a chance to progress to the next round of the meetings cup, and the glory/cult hero status that could possibly accompany it.

You say no one knows, so how do you know? I know some full backs who don't know what it's like to score a goal? Doing well at a big meeting in work or training session will have a similar affect for some people because the body will react in a similar way. In fact some of my colleagues have done speeches in front of 1,000's and have been cheered as if they have scored a goal.

An average third division footballer who hasn't been a dick should have no problem retiring from football owning a nice house with a decent income set aside for the rest of his life.

I'm not so sure they could. The average League 1 salary is around £75k (according to various articles online). Whilst that's a great salary as far as I'm concerned, I don't think its enough to support yourself for 40 years.

Maybe if you got a few signing-on fees, were extremely careful with money, invested wisely and didn't have a family to support you could get away with it.

When asked if this could be his last game, he just said yeah it might be, looked uncomfortable and wanted to move on to the next question

Ah bugger, that doesn't bode well.

Edited by bossrocks

When asked if this could be his last game, he just said yeah it might be, looked uncomfortable and wanted to move on to the next question

Sounds like a guy who knows his contract is running out, might possibly be moving on or staying, but it uncomfortable about talking about it now.

Not a hope in hell. At the age of 65 you would need now to have a pension pot in the region of £600.000 to get yourself an income of about £25,000 for the rest of your days. I don't see how a bloke on a third division wage would build up enough capital in a 15 year period to get a decent income for life

Not a hope in hell. At the age of 65 you woudl need now to have a pension pot in teh region of £600.000 to get yourself an income of about £2,000 for the rest of your days. I don't see how a bloke on a third division wage would build up enough capital in a 15 year period to get a decent income for life

Stretching it a bit for an average earner I grant you, although I think signing on fees and bonuses would add a lot to the £75k Mr Rocks mentions. If they invest from the word go then they largely escape ever paying mortgage interest and should be earning money on their savings throughout the length of their career. They could also do a couple of paper rounds if they really want to top it up.