Baxter hopes "fading"

Now Baxter just wants to make the right sort of headlines again. He is keen to earn a deal at Oldham and is at pains to point out that money is not his motivation.

"It doesn't matter to me. I just want to be smiling again and playing every week. I just want my chance and hopefully I will get it soon."

taken from the article on the bbc website just before he signed, funny aint it Jose, your playing week in week out and we will have offered you a pretty good wage so whats changed ?

I'd imagine success. Everyone wants to be successful and given how piss poor we've been in the league (it could be an awful lot worse without Baxter's goals+assists). If he does go to Tranmere (I hope to :censored: he doesn't) he could end the season with a league 1 winners medal. Stay here and he can say "I played against Liverpool." And money does talk to be fair, if I got offered treble my salary I'd take it in a heart beat

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now Baxter just wants to make the right sort of headlines again. He is keen to earn a deal at Oldham and is at pains to point out that money is not his motivation.

"It doesn't matter to me. I just want to be smiling again and playing every week. I just want my chance and hopefully I will get it soon."

taken from the article on the bbc website just before he signed, funny aint it Jose, your playing week in week out and we will have offered you a pretty good wage so whats changed ?

The fact that he could get a good wage and pay week in week out.

Us playing dog:censored: ?

I understand that there are risks if he plays against Liverpool, such as injury or negative exposure of his ability, but if his default attitude is to shy away from bigger and better challenges like cup games on TV against Liverpool then I'd strongly question whether he has the mentality to stay at the higher levels of the game. The best players crave these opportunities and thrive on them.

For what it's worth I think Jose's attitude has been excellent. He doesn't shirk tackles, chases lost causes and slides to keep the ball in play whenever he can. Plenty of talented players have failed here because their lack of application has let them down (see the KMB thread) that certainly hasn't been a problem for Jose.

I might be going overboard with this next statement, but if he puts in a performance against Liverpool that leads us to victory I think he'd be bordering on cult hero status here. That would stick with him for the rest of his career and as naive as I may be I'd like to think that a status like that would be something he could look back on and be proud of.

Either way, he's been a breath of fresh air for the club and if we stay up a lot of the credit should go to him. No matter when he leaves.

I understand that there are risks if he plays against Liverpool, such as injury or negative exposure of his ability, but if his default attitude is to shy away from bigger and better challenges like cup games on TV against Liverpool then I'd strongly question whether he has the mentality to stay at the higher levels of the game. The best players crave these opportunities and thrive on them.

For what it's worth I think Jose's attitude has been excellent. He doesn't shirk tackles, chases lost causes and slides to keep the ball in play whenever he can. Plenty of talented players have failed here because their lack of application has let them down (see the KMB thread) that certainly hasn't been a problem for Jose.

I might be going overboard with this next statement, but if he puts in a performance against Liverpool that leads us to victory I think he'd be bordering on cult hero status here. That would stick with him for the rest of his career and as naive as I may be I'd like to think that a status like that would be something he could look back on and be proud of.

Either way, he's been a breath of fresh air for the club and if we stay up a lot of the credit should go to him. No matter when he leaves.

This

I don't think he will be too bothered about teh cult hero status, I'd like to think he would, but I dont think it's a big thing .- Otherwise I completely agree.

Edited by pukka

Us playing dog:censored: ?

Why say 'i wanna stay' then, lets get one thing straight, i love baxter and dont begrudge him moving, but why lie and say you wanna stay and money isnt an issue ? at least derbyshire had the balls to tell us he'd rather be elsewhere.

We're as good as down without Baxter. We'd already have been as marooned as Hartlepool without him.

For the 1st half of the season I'd agree with you. We needed a player like him to give us something special to put a buzz back into the club or else we'd be on a par with Hartlepool and (soon to be) Portsmouth.

But as Smith has shown in the last couple of games there are plenty of other ways for League One teams to be functional, which is what we need to be if we want to stay up. We would just need that experienced striker who'd be able to play off Smith (or an in form Simpson). Over to you Dickov.

If a club wanted to sign him, the wouldn't want him to play against Liverpool because it could inflate his wages, they could lose out if a bigger club came in. No doubt that they would put the pressure on him to sign as early as possible and perhaps would offer him a bigger signing on fee.

On the other hand JB plays the game, has a blinder and gets a better deal at a better club.

Though, he could play have a stinker and get injured.

There are more compelling reasons for him to go rather than to stay. 3 stand ground. Small attendances. Standard of football. Money. I'm sure i could go on but you Know where I'm coming from. Better players will go to better clubs, it doesn't always work out for them but ambition is what all players should have.

if he stays he will be staying until the end of the season

he will not stay for the sake of 1 game?

if he moves it will be to a bigger club on a longer sterm contract for a lot more money i

f he is leaving it is more than likely this has already been agreed or money has been discussed at the very least

would you risk your future for one game of football just because its Liverpool?

maybe the best thing for him long term would be to saty until the season end! as PD states 50 games at a club is better than 25 but can you blame him if he goes when scouting player sand he is right

Fans get sentimental when its comes to things like this but this is a business at the end of the day

If he leaves I wish him well, I hope he has a decent career but realisticly I wont give a :censored: about him if he is wearing another shirt, he is not a legend he is a player who made a 20 odd games for us and did well in team that performed poorly

I want him to stay but.................................... we will find out soon enough

Edited by palmer1

Why say 'i wanna stay' then, lets get one thing straight, i love baxter and dont begrudge him moving, but why lie and say you wanna stay and money isnt an issue ? at least derbyshire had the balls to tell us he'd rather be elsewhere.

1. Did he actually say that? I haven't seen a direct quote that he did. Until then, I couldn't accuse him of lying.

2. Of course he's going to say nice things to avoid people getting on his back.

3. He's a 20-year old lad. He's not a trained press officer or PR guru.

To claim one game means more than a career is ridiculous. If your boss offered you a big meeting the day before you joined another company on three times the wage with the prospect of career progression but in that meeting there was a chance you'd say something which prevented they new company hiring you - you'd tell your boss where to stick it!

The idea that this sport is anything more than a career to any player from top to bottom is laughable in this day and age.

The idea that a footballers career can be compared to a job that any of us do is also laughable.

1. After the kidderminster game on LP he said i definitely wanna stay.

2. Did Matt derbyshire say he wanted to stay or did he tell the truth ?

3. So what, he's still a professional, if he doesnt wanna stay then :censored:in say so instead of getting our hopes up

Ah, I don't have LP so haven't heard him say that.

Can't blame him for not wanting to announce he's leaving though. Derbyshire is on loan. So the reaction to him saying, "Thanks, but I want to explore other options" is a bit different to a contracted player saying the same thing.

Ah, I don't have LP so haven't heard him say that.

Can't blame him for not wanting to announce he's leaving though. Derbyshire is on loan. So the reaction to him saying, "Thanks, but I want to explore other options" is a bit different to a contracted player saying the same thing.

Like i say i dont have anything personal against the lad and am a huge fan of him, but i hate players who say one thing and do another, should have a bit more respect for the fans than that.

1. Did he actually say that? I haven't seen a direct quote that he did. Until then, I couldn't accuse him of lying.

2. Of course he's going to say nice things to avoid people getting on his back.

3. He's a 20-year old lad. He's not a trained press officer or PR guru.

I think he did but at that point, I don't think he had a contract or he had just been given one. 4 months on, things changed, he's done well and other opportunities have become apparent. I don't think he has lied, what he said at that point was probably correct, at that time.

I think he did but at that point, I don't think he had a contract or he had just been given one. 4 months on, things changed, he's done well and other opportunities have become apparent. I don't think he has lied, what he said at that point was probably correct, at that time.

He said it in november, Dickov has also said that on many occasions that baxter has stated he wants to stay although we dont know the full extent of what has been said. Edited by 4froale

Meh, quality players come and go, we've been in this position a million times of recent seasons (Beckett, Gregan, Porter, Wellens, Kilkenny, Mvoto, Simpson, Taylor, Derbyshire and now Baxter) whether he stays or not, something else will turn up.

Got him on the cheap, he's done a job, if he moves on then it was still a successful signing.

Edited by PlayItLivo