Latics Youth Policy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again this discussion is misleading. The fixed compensation is so much per year and then so much more based on the number of first team performances. A 16 year old who started with us at age 10 who is taken by United and plays 100 first team games will net us £1,356,000. If there are no 1st team performances the player will either drop out of football or be available to lower league teams. It seems therefore that a decision to bin the youth has been taken and we are given selective information so that the idea receives support. The Premier league are saying we subsidise this and we want fair value for our money. Any club that doesn't have a youth set up is distancing itself from the local community and will in the end pay for it.

I hate say it but scrap it, you can't use the argument of producing players because none could enough would be. At £12k a pop Prem clubs will be bagging any kid with a hint of potential leaving us to train the rest. Will just have to bring in United/City cast offs and keep U18 side if we can.

I hate say it but scrap it, you can't use the argument of producing players because none could enough would be. At £12k a pop Prem clubs will be bagging any kid with a hint of potential leaving us to train the rest. Will just have to bring in United/City cast offs and keep U18 side if we can.

Looks like that's the way it may go.

I'd rather scrap the first team invest as much money in youth as possible and live within our means with players I actually care about. In fact if rather we all just admitted compared to the glory days the club is :censored:ed and try and copy crewes model! I might give more of a :censored: about the players and team then.

I have only really watched us at the lower level and while we haven't found the next messi I have always been excited to see the youth coming through whether its Serrant hotte mcniven Taylor Eardley Tipton allott eaves! Over the years they have played a huge role in keeping the club in this division! Getting rid of this can only be a bad thing IMO

I have to say that I would prefer to keep the youth setup.

BUT

If we are going to do that then we need a manager that is going to buy into that policy and that man is not Paul Dickov. Our current manager has no interest in our young players preferring instead to give experience to premiership teams youngsters for them to benefit.

So if we are to keep the youth setup (which as I say is my preference) then the current manager needs to be told that he has to play the youngsters we bring through rather than bring others in. If he won't and we want to keep the youth policy then we have to change the manager. It's the same discussion that led to Warnock leaving us.

I have to say that I would prefer to keep the youth setup.

BUT

If we are going to do that then we need a manager that is going to buy into that policy and that man is not Paul Dickov. Our current manager has no interest in our young players preferring instead to give experience to premiership teams youngsters for them to benefit.

So if we are to keep the youth setup (which as I say is my preference) then the current manager needs to be told that he has to play the youngsters we bring through rather than bring others in. If he won't and we want to keep the youth policy then we have to change the manager. It's the same discussion that led to Warnock leaving us.

Problem is Harry some have shown promise, but haven't make strong enough claims when given a chance in the first team.

A case in point is Winchester who blows hot and cold, would he benefit from a long run in the side even if inconsistent ?..that's the managers dilemma when the club is just above the relegation zone.

Edited by BP1960

the article on the website makes it seem like it's either stick or twist.

i'd keep a youth set up but be more selective so we get more players like Taylor and less like Ryan Brooke.

I agree that if they're good enough they should play, and if not, send them out on loan to non-league clubs around here. We can then strike up some partnerships and get some of their decent players if they have any.

Crewe have got it right, but we shouldn't copy them to the letter. It's this bit that basically says if we copy them we might go down:

Mr Owen added the club must decide whether to follow Crewe whose successful youth model has been developed over many years.

He explained: "During that process of development they have had to take hits with relegation.

I know it's Chelsea and City, but Terry and Balotelli have played for u-21 teams recently, so maybe the way to go would be to get rid of the youth team and the reserves, and put an u-21 team in there to act as both.

Getting rid of the youth teams/set up completely would probably see us relegated and then blaming this decision. but then play it right (like Crewe) and we could be well off?

Might be accused of being overly dramatic here, but i have to say that if the decision was to scrap our entire youth set up; it would seriously make me consider my continued ST renewels.

I like nothing more than seeing a 'home grown' youth prospect come through the ranks and into the 1st team.

I like nothing less than seeing the likes of Prem youngsters being brought in on loan at the expense of 'ours' - the likes of Lund, Mantom & Lowe of recent years. Or - journey-man; unfit loanees of the likes of Byfield, Ormorod & Kabba blocking the path of Allessandra and DBL et all.

Yep, consider a re-structure by all means, and look at the set-up and how it could be streamlined or improved to make the figures stack up better. But in no way should be the decision be to scrap it.

Feel very passionate about this. If its scrapped; there'll be 1 very pissed off Sly here, and I might have to dig out the Bandana and Bow.

I've always liked the Crewe set up, the way their players come through. Even their youth recruitment. I seem to recall a lot of my friends attending 'trial days' there. Very cheap to run, and occasionally pick up a gem that hasn't been noticed by the bigger clubs.

On the other hand, Crewe are still a L1 team. So it maybe isn't all that much to aspire to?

Would always prefer to see a local lad in the team, but I'm undecided.

Might be accused of being overly dramatic here, but i have to say that if the decision was to scrap our entire youth set up; it would seriously make me consider my continued ST renewels.

I like nothing more than seeing a 'home grown' youth prospect come through the ranks and into the 1st team.

I like nothing less than seeing the likes of Prem youngsters being brought in on loan at the expense of 'ours' - the likes of Lund, Mantom & Lowe of recent years. Or - journey-man; unfit loanees of the likes of Byfield, Ormorod & Kabba blocking the path of Allessandra and DBL et all.

Yep, consider a re-structure by all means, and look at the set-up and how it could be streamlined or improved to make the figures stack up better. But in no way should be the decision be to scrap it.

Feel very passionate about this. If its scrapped; there'll be 1 very pissed off Sly here, and I might have to dig out the Bandana and Bow.

I agree Sly, I have watched Latics youth teams since the 1960s and there is nothing better than seeing a kid progress to the first team.

Many don't fulfil their early promise, but those that do make me feel proud of the club.

It's been shown getting rid of reserve teams has been a disaster at many clubs, and the same will happen if youth schemes are abandoned.

Barry quotes Wycombe as an example of a club with no youth set up....are they any better off spending the money on a first team heading towards non league ?

Yeah that's pretty much where I am - I'm a bit stunned to be honest. Worries me that those at the top don't seem to have a vision or a roadmap - in no way should this be a fan-driven decision. I mean, it's good that they're asking for input rather than just cutting it, but I'd have hoped that the answer was obvious and that they wouldn't have to ask. We're never going to be a united or city, our best bet is to aim for the bolton's of this world - build a strong community club, get the people of oldham something to be proud of and something they can relate to, and live within our means whilst others clubs go for the boom and bust approach.

Yeah that's pretty much where I am - I'm a bit stunned to be honest. Worries me that those at the top don't seem to have a vision or a roadmap - in no way should this be a fan-driven decision. I mean, it's good that they're asking for input rather than just cutting it, but I'd have hoped that the answer was obvious and that they wouldn't have to ask. We're never going to be a united or city, our best bet is to aim for the bolton's of this world - build a strong community club, get the people of oldham something to be proud of and something they can relate to, and live within our means whilst others clubs go for the boom and bust approach.

It's not. Consultation isn't passing over decision-making.

£20000 a month is both a lot and not much . Let me make that a bit clearer ! It's a lot to Latics at present , 2/3 players wages. At the same time, spread over the year, it's about 500 extra supporters at each home match .

the way that premier clubs can now operate means that they run any number of youth teams under different guises ie development squad . there are no limits on how far away kids live and this means we are only getting 5th or 6 th rate youngsters unless the parent/agent sees that a kid has more oppurtunity to develop and play at a smaller club . i feel this is the reason the youth production line has slowed down . also the game is now results driven even at div 1 level and mr dickov and all managers are under pressure to avoid relegation and so turn to old pros and better quality loan players to get results. the young players at prem clubs have next to no chance in this enviroment and while we cant compete with prem clubs wages even for the wabaras etc we can take advantage . remember mr royle finding barrett and warhurst and marshall from everton . recently bouzanis and keiran lee have been picked up . i love to see a good youngster come thro but if they are any good we have to sell them and the chances of finding these nuggets is getting less and less .its sad to let go but there will not be a club if we dont take hard decisions . at theend of the day we all watch the first team and thats what counts .