Derbyshire

Saw matt Derbyshire at an m6 service station early this morning, asked him what the chances of himcoming back to latics were and a plain and simple "no chance" was his answer....so think paul may have to start lookin elsewhere for a striker. Said he has offers from abroad but nothing here in uk. Also commented on the Baxter signing said he was shocked as he knew he had some very good offers and commented on what a very very good player he was. Seemed a decent guy and wished us all the best.

sibrown

Brian "Killer" Kilcline

•  

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

We were sat in the sponsors lounge yesterday with baxters family, spoke to his dad who told us we had offered him a 3 year deal this week, he didn't beat around the bush and told us he won't be signing it, best we can hope for is him signing till end of season but there are 7 championship sides already in contact with him so he will weigh up the options at xmas. Maybe I'm being pessimistic but from his tone, id say he won't be here after January.

You got that wrong sjbrown....maybe you got the Derbyshire conversation wrong too?

Edited by LaticsPete

Ha, very true Pete but only passing on what I was told and this one came straight from thr horses mouth, im willing to place a bet Derbyshire wont sign for us? Loser buys the other a bacon butty at next home match after deadline day?

He may not sign but I don't believe your story....

Given your two experiences, I am going to go the opposite. Clearly in this day and age no player is going to tell the direct truth. Evasive maybe or not true (see Baxter convo)

SO I think the chances of him ending up with us are higher than before, as a result of your converasation

Ha, very true Pete but only passing on what I was told and this one came straight from thr horses mouth, im willing to place a bet Derbyshire wont sign for us? Loser buys the other a bacon butty at next home match after deadline day?

Haven't you heard? They're giving bacon butties away free at games now.

PD says that he has told Derbyshire that he needs to make his mind up because we can't wait until the end of January and not be able to bring in someone else.

That's all very well but it aint up to Derbyshire is it. If Forest want him off their wage bill and he has 18 months left on his contract, then they will keep him at Forest until the end of the transfer window to give other clubs as long as possible to sign him. If he hasn't got fixed up by then, they will no doubt send him out on loan to a club who can pay far more of his salary than we can.

PD says that he has told Derbyshire that he needs to make his mind up because we can't wait until the end of January and not be able to bring in someone else.

That's all very well but it aint up to Derbyshire is it. If Forest want him off their wage bill and he has 18 months left on his contract, then they will keep him at Forest until the end of the transfer window to give other clubs as long as possible to sign him. If he hasn't got fixed up by then, they will no doubt send him out on loan to a club who can pay far more of his salary than we can.

Derbyshire doesn't have to go anywhere he doesn't want to, whether Forest say x club will pay the most, or not. A little is better than nowt.

To be fair I think if he was going to come back he would be here by now.

When Simpson went back to our 6 fingered friends last year, he came back to train with us almost immediately and everyone knew a deal was on the cards.

I haven't seen anything that convinces me he will be back unfortunately.

What are the chances of bumping into him at a service station and then approaching him

I bumped into Neil Pointon many years ago at the eastbound Birch Services on the M62. I was so star struck all I managed was a quiet hello and a little dribble.

Edited by Break The Silence

I bumped into Neil Pointon many years ago at the eastbound Birch Services on the M62. I was so star struck all I managed was a quiet hello and a little dribble.

25 years ago I was working at Birch services during the school holidays, cleaning windscreens as part of a promotion they had on. As part of this, I got to clean Neil Adams' windscreen who had been on loan to us the previous year from Everton.

"Are you Neil Adams?", says I.

"Yeah", replies Neil.

Then he got in his car and drove off. Quite beautiful but, to my mind, because I didn't badger him about his future plans (can't imagine such conversations ever taking place tbh) I think he was happy to return to BP and play his part in our glory years.

25 years ago I was working at Birch services during the school holidays, cleaning windscreens as part of a promotion they had on. As part of this, I got to clean Neil Adams' windscreen who had been on loan to us the previous year from Everton.

"Yeah", replies Neil.

Then he got in his car and drove off. Quite beautiful but, to my mind, because I didn't badger him about his future plans (can't imagine such conversations ever taking place tbh) I think he was happy to return to BP and play his part in our glory years.

Did you see Bryan Robson, the at the time England captain, get nicked for drunk driving?

"Yeah", replies Neil.

Therefore you are partly responsible for the glory years. I don my cap to you sir....