Murray signed

Gregan was :censored:ed after single-handedly keeping us up under Penney

And you judged this from which appearances Gregan made under Dickov?

Are you seriously suggesting that Gregan, after the best season with us since his first, who proved himself as one of the best defenders in this division, and like you said kept us up just months before, wasn't a better option than Jason :censored:ing Jarrett?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you seriously suggesting that Gregan, after the best season with us since his first, who proved himself as one of the best defenders in this division, and like you said kept us up just months before, wasn't a better option than Jason :censored:ing Jarrett?

Gregan every day of week - that can't be doubted. But - credit where it's due, Jarrett actually did look the business for the 1st part of Dickov's 1st season at CB - his ability, touch & composure on the ball gave us another dimension.

I think Muzza is very much an emergancy player - but I think he'll be great to have around the squad; in a role like he did at Hartlepool - the "unofficial coach" as he was.

Gregan was immense under Penney but I wasn't too disappointed when he left half way through Dickov's 1st season. All about the styles of play, under Penney we sat back a lot and Gregan's lack of pace wasn't exposed much, whereas the season after we pressed a lot and left more space at the back. Gregan was the better defender but Hazell had the legs to play that role (as did Jarrett) whereas Gregan didn't.

As for an adequate replacement? Diamond and Byrne weren't as good but I'd call them both adequate.

Jason Jarrett proved to be a suitable replacement for Gregan, right up until the Accrington Stanley cup game where his game just went to :censored: - don't know if he'd lost his love for the game again or whatever.

Gregan on the other hand, retired from football 6 months after leaving Latics because his knees had gone? Good choice from Dickov really - wouldn't have minded him staying the coaching set up but never mind. We've all got to move on.

Loved Paul Murray when he was last with us, didn't want him to leave, as you can see from the links already posted he is a true professional and is surely a good signing even if he is going to be a squad player, he might be the kind of player we need to get other players to keep a level head when we are (dare I say it) "defending a lead"