Murray signed

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is more to this than meets the eye! A fit experienced 36 year old of some quality who wants to take a managerial post this summer. This is a good move and gives PD support and something to think about. Welcome Paul!

Edited by Hands on

Fired off from Hartlepool who it as to be said are having a storming season.....not for me this one at all. Sums up this club, from the heights of euphoria to scrapping the barrel again. Who posted Wellens was a possible? jesus wept

That's what I feel too Lags. Cheap-as-chips PR signing for me this. Fans get a touch of misty-eyed nostalgia and conveniently forget the reality of it. Getting a half fit, one-legged Wellens back would be a coup and actually make me think "you know, we can do this".

That said, love Muzza with all of my heart. But I think we're going into a gun fight with a knife.

Hartlepool binned him off because they wanted fresher legs in midfield, perhaps he struggles to play 2 lots of 90 minutes every week. Here, he probably won't have to do that. What I think he'll do is have little cameos here and there he is not in our first choice midfield. Whilst Winchester had a great game against Liverpool he was playing against an out-manned Henderson and Allen for most of it. Henderson and Allen are lightweights compared to the a lot of players at this level and Winchester is very prone to getting out muscled. Murray is not as prone to that issue.

Whether this signing turns our season round is yet to be determined, but one thing it sure won't be is the reason why we end up playing in League 2 next season, if we do.

If we're paying him peanuts then I cant see a problem. .. even if its just to have his experience on the training ground and in the dressing room its going to be worth it.

Agree, I don't expect him to play every game but when Cliff Byrne is oldest player in the squad at 30 by some distance you know that the squad is short on experience. As said above this signing could have just as big an impact off the pitch as on it. Positionally there are other areas of the pitch which are higher priorities to strengthen but if this move still gives us room to bring in another player then it's a good move. We certainly need extra bodies in the squad!

Winchester and Mellor (and other youngsters) do need a run in the side to really prove that they are good enough, but to be honest their chance to do it with us this season may have already come and gone. If it's a choice between having Winchester, Mellor or Murray starting for us in a relegation battle then I know who I would choose. Dickov has had chances to give youngsters opportunities to play earlier in the season when first teamers were not performing and we weren't in immediate danger but chose to go with the first teamers (possibly to save his job in the short term).

just so people know, i am more than willing to give him a chance, but this isnt the kind of signing youd expect to keep us in the division.

This is the exact kind of signing I would expect would keep us in the league as opposed to unproven premier league kids who havent played real football away at Hartlepool on a Tuesday freezing cold night

I know which I would choose everyday of the week

At least he is a proper signing even if only until June but better than 1 month loan still

Exactly my first thought when I read it.

Just seen this. Sort of mine too; though my 1st thought was Murray is now the #2 as well as registering as a player. In a similar way to what Ritchie Humphries is doing right now; and Nathan Jones was doing at Yeovil. Experienced player available for when needed; but when not playing; taking a seat on the touchline and helping on match days.

That's my take on this. If that's not right; and he's purely a player; he adds much needed experience; but still - hmmmm.

Hartlepool binned him off because they wanted fresher legs in midfield, perhaps he struggles to play 2 lots of 90 minutes every week. Here, he probably won't have to do that. What I think he'll do is have little cameos here and there he is not in our first choice midfield. Whilst Winchester had a great game against Liverpool he was playing against an out-manned Henderson and Allen for most of it. Henderson and Allen are lightweights compared to the a lot of players at this level and Winchester is very prone to getting out muscled. Murray is not as prone to that issue.

Whether this signing turns our season round is yet to be determined, but one thing it sure won't be is the reason why we end up playing in League 2 next season, if we do.

He's learning fast, he once nicked the ball off Gerrard and left him floundering on the ground., Gerrard then appeared to moan to the referee about Winchester's strong arm tactics. More like this and we have a real player on our hands. :)

What the pissing :censored:?

We release Gregan and Hazell, two solid centre backs, a partnership we've yet to adequately replace, because they're "too old" and then we sign someone 9 years past his best, who frankly looks like he's been severely ill.

If this is a Paul Gerrard type signing, primarily as a coach but signed on as a player in case our first teamers, reserves, youth and u14 midfielders all get injured, then fair enough, but at least paint it out that way. 'Kin hell.

Agree, I don't expect him to play every game but when Cliff Byrne is oldest player in the squad at 30 by some distance you know that the squad is short on experience. As said above this signing could have just as big an impact off the pitch as on it. Positionally there are other areas of the pitch which are higher priorities to strengthen but if this move still gives us room to bring in another player then it's a good move. We certainly need extra bodies in the squad!

I think Mr Byrne is having us on - there's no bloomin' way he's two years younger than me!

Regarding Muzza, I don't know how anyone can decide he's a bad signing until we see him play. Who cares if he's been released by Hartlepool - there's obviously a lot they're not doing right at the moment. We have a decent team on paper, but something is missing - maybe Murray's the man to bring it all together, whereas at Hartlepool he was just surrounded by cack!

Can't fault him returning at all,gives us another body in what is at the moment a very small squad !

I don't expect Murray to be the player he was 9 years ago but unless he has developed Alzheimers and forgotten what the round thing at his feet is, he will be only second to Jose in the pass to another blue shirt stake.

Probably more useful still is his experience, reading and knowledge of the game.

We do still need a striker though ;-)

What the pissing :censored:?

We release Gregan and Hazell, two solid centre backs, a partnership we've yet to adequately replace, because they're "too old" and then we sign someone 9 years past his best, who frankly looks like he's been severely ill.

If this is a Paul Gerrard type signing, primarily as a coach but signed on as a player in case our first teamers, reserves, youth and u14 midfielders all get injured, then fair enough, but at least paint it out that way. 'Kin hell.

Gregan was :censored:ed after single-handedly keeping us up under Penney.

Hazell made mistakes here there and :censored:ing everywhere.

Anyway - it's not like you'll be down at Boundary Park to see him play (Everton game apart i'd imagine.)