Dowie? OR not?

Well, on here, and in the bookies, it looked like a foregone conclusion and a straight coronation.

It just might not be.

For the record, I think Dowie (and Scholes) might be a smokescreen for someone else. Hope that they are what we need.

Not sure why you bothered reading and replying if you are not arsed.... :wink:

Edited by singe

A couple of things to remember about Dowie - in the few months before he left, everytime he was interviewed he said that he had no contract at the club; he was actually offered one but kept putting off signing it and when he finally left, Latics had to take him to court to get their car back off him!

Has there been an article yet that has suggested it was a foregone conclusion?

Dowie will be on a cushy number at sky and I would anticipate that he would have to take a pay cut to come here.

Twitter is awash. Some on here do not have access.

There are quite a number of posts about Dowie being the obvious choice.

And he is by far the most voted far.

In 3 seperate polls.

And the bookies have stopped taking bets with Dowie all but odds on.

But apart form that, no I have not seen much about Dowie.

Luckily I just wrote what someone else said, rather than my opinion.

Has there been an article yet that has suggested it was a foregone conclusion?

Dowie will be on a cushy number at sky and I would anticipate that he would have to take a pay cut to come here.

I was thinking this has something been said somewhere apart from people on here wanting him back although if Mike Keegan is prepare to publicly state that then you wouldn't be surprised if their is some truth in it.

Before we all get to excited its worth pointing out that since 2005 Dowie has been part of relegations at Crystal Palace, Hull, and Newcastle and has been sacked by Charlton,QPR, and Coventry and hasn't really achieved anything of note.

Also remember how excited we all got whe JR came back and our record under him second time round was 1 win 9.

Before we all get to excited its worth pointing out that since 2005 Dowie has been part of relegations at Crystal Palace, Hull, and Newcastle and has been sacked by Charlton,QPR, and Coventry and hasn't really achieved anything of note.

I think the manager had to fit the club, and Dowie fitted in here (by the way, he was also part of a promotion at Palace..). What I liked about Dowie was you always thought you were getting the best out of his players - "bouncebackability" and "Go Hard or Go Home" may be clichés, but exactly what's lacking from the current crop of players. We say Dickov was let down by his players - I can't see Dowie standing for it. The squad we have should not be where they are and it can only be down to the players not adapting themselves.

Whoever we get will have some blots on their CV - but Dowie is by far preferable to some of the other journeyman front runners at the moment.

Edited by JoeP

I think the relegations were a tad unfair. At Palace they did things on the cheap and only went down on the final day. Hull & Newcastle they were more or less :censored:ed anyway.

The others? Well, bad fit perhaps. It could be a bad fit here too, but I'd feel he's still a much better choice than Brown or Knill.

I think the manager had to fit the club, and Dowie fitted in here (by the way, he was also part of a promotion at Palace..). What I liked about Dowie was you always thought you were getting the best out of his players - "bouncebackability" and "Go Hard or Go Home" maybe cliches, but exactly what's lacking from the current crop of players. We say Dickov was let down by his players - I can't see Dowie standing for it. The squad we have should not be where they are and it can only be down to the players not adapting themselves.

Whoever we get will have some blots on their CV - but Dowie is by far preferable to some of the other journeyman front runners at the moment.

I've heard this said everytime we get a new manager its one of the best cliche's XYZ won't stand for any crap yet what happens we employ a new manager and we go round in circles. What happens when you give players instructions and they don't carry them out and lose the game give them a bollocking. Then next game you don't carry them out so what do you do drop them next game the new players come in and don't carry out your instructions give them a bollocking. Then the next game they fail and you have knowone to turn too, what do you do then?

Lets face it do people honestly assume that just before christmas Pau Dickov turned round to this squad and said tell you what lads go out and take 1 point from the next 9 games but turn up in the cup though. Do we also honestly think that after each defeat he turned round to them and said "bad luck lads maybe next time, its alright I don't care if I get sacked I didn't want the job anyway"

Its one thing having a plan its another thing executing it. My boss at work spoke to the kit man at Wigan he said the big difference between players in the premier league and the lower divisions is their ability to take on instructions. Dowie last time worked with alot of quality the likes of Eyres, Armstrong, Hall, Hill, Murray, Wyhnard. These guys had the ability and would have taken on board what was being said to them, he wouldn't have that this time it would be a very different scenario.

Now for what its worth I actually think that Iain Dowie could potentially galvanise the club and the players ceratinly if he brought in a John Harbin type character alongside him he's certainly our best post Joe Royle manager, but I'd also be very cautious as I would not anticipate the same kind of scenario this time round.

I think the relegations were a tad unfair. At Palace they did things on the cheap and only went down on the final day. Hull & Newcastle they were more or less :censored:ed anyway.

The others? Well, bad fit perhaps. It could be a bad fit here too, but I'd feel he's still a much better choice than Brown or Knill.

I actually think it was to Dowie's credit that Palace took it to the wire - the were :censored: but fit, motivated and adopted the "run through brick walls" approach.

As you say, Newcastle and Hull were poisoned chalices.

Harbin was key but he isn't the master guru of all fitness/mental/getting under the players skin, he's no Paul Butler but there are guys out there who can do what he did.

Out of all the names linked so far Dowie is the one that has pulled me up sharp with a "by jove, that just might work". He might be able to whip them into shape, he does have a bit of tactical nouse, we played 352 under him at times an did he can find a new partner in crime he might just pull it off and keep us up.

Will he do it? I don't know and without seeing some of the 70 odd names it is hard to say if he is the best choice but we could do much worse.

There was the article in the Chron and seen plenty of "dowie for me #oafc" tweets, but nothing which suggested that his appointment was close or imminent.

And bookies still taking bets at the moment

Dowie still favourite, but Brown's odds shortening with a couple of bookies.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/oldham-specials/next-permanent-manager

I believe dowie is to be named tomorrow with muzza his assistant. Was supposed to happen at the game tonight but for obvious reasons couldn't.

if true this appt is jinxed

First Liverpool win, now Yeovil postponement

Lets hole its not an omen!

Having thought overnight, if Hull and Newcastle were poisoned chalices and doomed before Dowie got there what's the difference with Oldham? Slipped into the bottom four, players not performing, rot set in?

Maybe Dowie isn't the man for the job, I don't want us to be another side that "Were too far gone when I got there."

16 games and 48 points to play for suggests we have more than a good chance of staying up. I still say Warnock should have kept us up and failed miserably by going at it like a bull in a china shop. Reid and Dux were good signings, Rush was a crock and Hodgson just :censored:. If he'd signed a pacy CB and not sacrificed Henry and Bez and brought in the one thing we needed GOALS then we would have easily stayed up.

16 games and 48 points to play for suggests we have more than a good chance of staying up. I still say Warnock should have kept us up and failed miserably by going at it like a bull in a china shop. Reid and Dux were good signings, Rush was a crock and Hodgson just :censored:. If he'd signed a pacy CB and not sacrificed Henry and Bez and brought in the one thing we needed GOALS then we would have easily stayed up.

I thought Hodgdon looked the part, full of commitment, but was battling with injuries during his time here. Rush wasn't half the player he was I agree, which was a pity as he was brilliant in full flow.

Edited by BP1960

I thought he was an idiot, an absolute liability and underpinned when I had the 'honour' of meeting him and spending some time in his company in the IOM in '98. Stitch didn't rate him either. Always reminded me of 'Donk' out of Crocodile Dundee with a similar footballing ability.

Edited by oafcprozac

Colin won 4 out of the 16 games he was given to save us taking only 15 points from the 16 games. He obviously believed we needed major surgery on the playing side. This time it's a little different, I think we need a right back and definitely a pacy CB add to that maybe a change in goal (nothing against Bouzy but some of the goals that are going ion are being watched into the net lately) and we're good to have a real go in saving ourselves. Saturday: Cisak AN Other AN Other M'Voto Grounds Croft Wes Furman Obita Barnard Baxter

I thought he was an idiot, an absolute liability and underpinned when I had the 'honour' of meeting him and spending some time in his company in the IOM in '98. Stitch didn't rate him either. Always reminded me of 'Donk' out of Crocodile Dundee with a similar footballing ability.

I spent a few games in his company whilst he was injured when he was here and can concur. A total idiot but a no nonsense CB, probably because he didn't have any outside of football either.