PRESS CONFERENCE AND INVITATION TO THE CLUB.

Debt is just short of £6m.

So £600k a season?

£8k profit in 2011.

I'd expect the Liverpool game to have delivered a profit for 2012.

I'm certain that 2013 will show a profit. Even if it does result in repayment of debt to the major creditors.

Bit less than I imagined then. Thanks.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few questions I would have liked to ask, although these would have been to the board as opposed to Lee. For the purpose of these questions I would have put personal feelings aside regarding this appointment.

1) Given the clubs precarious situation, it is undoubtedly a huge risk to appoint a young manager at this time. But there is no sense in getting rid of a manager to replace him with someone with no better. So my question would be, after replacing one rookie manager with another, what credentials did you see in Lee that you thought were an improvement over

- The credentials of his predecessor Paul Dickov

- The credentials of the other applicants who made it to the interview stage, of which I imagine many will have had more experience.

2) Will he be bringing in an experienced number 2 and his own coaching staff?

Im happy to ask them for you Carl, I also have a few questions I want clarified.

You are assuming a cheap option. That is not correct. A lot of the journeymen would have worked for less believe me.

I cannot go into personal details for obvious reasons but the practicalities of Ian Dowie in respect to his personal commitments would have been very difficult to overcome.

His media work is very important to him. I think you would also agree that given the finances at our club we would not want to mortgage ourselves to anything we might find difficult to pay.

The cup money has nothing to do with anything. Manager contracts can be very expensive and the terms of a contract increases the better the applicant. On top of that you also have to consider the expense if an appointment does not work out and you can be liable for huge sums in paying a contract off.

There are many considerations and you do not go into any appointment with a short term in mind. That does not give the right impression to the players and smacks of uncertainty.

Hope this help a little. I also think people have got to remain grounded regarding the finances at our club and a lot of the cup money just means we lose less this financial year.

Barry

absolute bollocks barry, everybody involved with the club including you knows this is the cheap option, simon corney gave his word that he would take our views into consideration but he hasnt, he has again gone for the cheapest option available and has imo failed us. This is a huge risk to take for not much money at all. For all i know lee johnson could well be the manager we are looking for but is it really worth taking that risk at this time in the season?. not at all.

p.s good luck to lee johnson.

Edited by 4froale

Some of the questions on here, e.g. his no 2, will surely be answered at the press conference anyway.

You'd hope that, wouldn't you?

Talbot - never got his own man

Moore - #2 came in after the season ended

Shez - Towards the end of Pre-Season when Wright came in

Royle - Stuck with what we had

Penney - Gray few weeks later with Collett

Dickov - Taggart few days later

I must admit i'm in two minds about going now after sleeping on it, no disrespect to LJ but he's going to toe the party line, paint a pretty picture and tell us all what we want to hear. What we need is an open forum, open to all in the RRE (like when Moore was here) to discuss our concerns with the board. Not on a 1:1 basis, as I say i've spoken to Simon at length on two occasions recently and whilst the discussions were light-hearted and informative I learnt very little regarding concrete plans for the future direction of the club. Youth seems to be central to moving the club forward, but it is only a few weeks since SC was considering scrapping the Youth System due to the EPPP. We need concrete plans, not knee-jerk reactions and moving the goalposts.

Other people's concerns are just as valid as mine, my concern is not totally centred on who manages the club it is the very existence and a viable future for the club in the football league, building the stand is a start, cutting down on loanees and 6 month contracts and actually putting a squad together over 2-3 years would be another. As I Said to Simon it needn't cost the earth but we need to find a way to stop the revolving door transfer policy that is killing fanbase, the club's identity and belief we can actually move forward ON the field.

We all know our better players will leave but let's replace them hey? Sell them when they have a value instead of running contracts down, whether the player wants to move or not i'm sure the agent would push for a move especially when a transfer fee is involved.

As for tonight we're going to learn nothing new, about SC plans for moving the club forward/backwards etc and after sleeping on it and reflecting further this morning LJ will tell us what we want to hear, not what we need to hear.

So for those reasons I too am out, tonight amounts to nothing but a propaganda exercise. When in truth we should be grilling the General Secretary en masse, at an accessible location and time.

Those that go, enjoy the experience

Edited by oafcprozac

It is pretty unlikely that an experienced and respected assistant would be happy playing second fiddle to a 31 year old first time manager in league one.

You would think this expereinced assistant would want the main job themselves.

We will know soon enough though.

P.S. As if the latics fans haven't suffered enough, now we've got to put up with Ibby x 6 on top of everything else!

I must admit i'm in two minds about going now after sleeping on it, no disrespect to LJ but he's going to toe the party line, paint a pretty picture and tell us all what we want to hear. What we need is an open forum, open to all in the RRE (like when Moore was here) to discuss our concerns with the board. Not on a 1:1 basis, as I say i've spoken to Simon at length on two occasions recently and whilst the discussions were light-hearted and informative I learnt very little regarding concrete plans for the future direction of the club. Youth seems to be central to moving the club forward, but it is only a few weeks since SC was considering scrapping the Youth System due to the EPPP. We need concrete plans, not knee-jerk reactions and moving the goalposts.

Other people's concerns are just as valid as mine, my concern is not totally centred on who manages the club it is the very existence and a viable future for the club in the football league, building the stand is a start, cutting down on loanees and 6 month contracts and actually putting a squad together over 2-3 years would be another. As I Said to Simon it needn't cost the earth but we need to find a way to stop the revolving door transfer policy that is killing fanbase, the club's identity and belief we can actually move forward ON the field.

We all know our better players will leave but let's replace them hey? Sell them when they have a value instead of running contracts down, whether the player wants to move or not i'm sure the agent would push for a move especially when a transfer fee is involved.

As for tonight we're going to learn nothing new, about SC plans for moving the club forward/backwards etc and after sleeping on it and reflecting further this morning LJ will tell us what we want to hear, not what we need to hear.

So for those reasons I too am out, tonight amounts to nothing but a propaganda exercise. When in truth we should be grilling the General Secretary en masse, at an accessible location and time.

Those that go, enjoy the experience

And bring back the TRADITIONAL kit which fans can identify with - and stick with it instead of chopping and changing every season.

I have a feeling that LJ may have asked for this meet and greet himself, I mean, any man that likes the Wedding Crashers that much clearly isn't that much of a fool. He knows that us unwashed are going to greet his appointment with a massive WTF? What better way to allay some of our fears than to tackle them head on and try and get the fans onside early on. He has already dazzled the board and convinced them that he is appointable, he just needs to do the same performance and convince the 12 angry men.

Fand were offered an opportunity to talk with th new manager.

It seems that some regard it as their chance to interview him and to debate the whole future of the club.

The invitation was for what it was. I can't get there but would have seen it as the chance to discuss what he planned to do to keep us up, what his views on skill and motivation levels are, what his style of play was going to be, how he would work with other coaching staff. Shame folk are turning their back on this because they want a different sort of meeting.

SINGE. Whilst I cannot reply to everyone you should also be aware that my colleagues on the Board like myself have had vast experience at interviewing in this post and in other jobs.

I have chaired interviews that have been carried over a 5 day process and can assure you that the process at Oldham is exhaustive.

You are wrong to conclude as you do and can assure you that a number of applicant have been required to carry out a number of interviews during the process.Some of the journeymen I can assure you were not used to the process.

Barry

I'm sure the interview process has been very thorough, however, it would have been nice to have had an appointment a couple of weeks ago before we embarked on our crippling run of 3 league defeats with no goals scored. Can't help thinking that time has been needlessly wasted and now its probably too late.

Fand were offered an opportunity to talk with th new manager.

It seems that some regard it as their chance to interview him and to debate the whole future of the club.

The invitation was for what it was. I can't get there but would have seen it as the chance to discuss what he planned to do to keep us up, what his views on skill and motivation levels are, what his style of play was going to be, how he would work with other coaching staff. Shame folk are turning their back on this because they want a different sort of meeting.

This is what's needed though and soon, obviously tonight with LJ is not the time and place as he's the pawn in all of this.

It's about the playing side.

No point giving LJ stick about the way the club is run.

Every point being there and hearing his approach though.

Maybe you're right, i'll chew it over, as it happens i'm working this afternoon anyway so depending how long the school wants me to hang around at close of play is probably key to whether I will be there or not.

Edited by oafcprozac

Maybe you're right, i'll chew it over, as it happens i'm working this afternoon anyway so depending how long the school wants me to hang around at close of play is probably key to whether I will be there or not.

O4U is right Prozac, come on down..

And bring back the TRADITIONAL kit which fans can identify with - and stick with it instead of chopping and changing every season.

I like this season's kit. I used to get utterly sick of looking like Chelsea and Rangers.

by traditional, do you mean the 1950's white with blue stripe down the middle/blueshorts/blue and white hooped socks?

by traditional, do you mean the 1950's white with blue stripe down the middle/blueshorts/blue and white hooped socks?

Yeah, you know, the one that the majority of our current fans can't identify with at all cos most of them weren't even born then?