No Asain Oldham fans - BBC news story

the thing is the majority of us on here follow latics either because our fathers took us as kids or we went with our friends

so if the Bengali, Asian or Indian communities aren't supporting our club (in mass numbers) you need to ask why..

and the answer is modern football

the bright lights of premiership.. the big teams, the big players..

however i have seen a few Asian fans at latics most of which have been young teenagers and i have never seen or heard of them being treated in a manor that could be seen as unwelcoming

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asian and former season ticket holder checking in!

Also saw an Asian bloke with his kid today, being mixed race it's easy to notice that the Asian community in Oldham is slowly becoming more "westernised" give it a few more years and I'm sure they'll be equally represented...especially the kiddies due this £10 season ticket!

It's the similar to when they brought in that rule due to a lack of black managers, years ago there wasn't that many blacks in football in general now there's plenty instead of forcing it let them naturally be managers!

Does the club employ Asians? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Surely, that if the club doesn't employ Asians its time they start: a bit like the football clubs over in Northern Ireland where Protestant clubs would only sign prods and employ prods, likewise for the Catholics. The RUC, now the PSNI and the Prison Service were renowned for only employing prods. If there is a road to seeing more Asians at BP then IMO it should be throughout: players (if good enough) and employees, not just the turn styles. Possible domino effect or is it just me?

Edited by tangerinedreams

Does the club employ Asians? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Surely, that if the club doesn't employ Asians its time they start: a bit like the football clubs over in Northern Ireland where Protestant clubs would only sign prods and employ prods, likewise for the Catholics. The RUC, now the PSNI and the Prison Service were renowned for only employing prods. If there is a road to seeing more Asians at BP then IMO it should be throughout: players (if good enough) and employees, not just the turn styles. Possible domino effect or is it just me?

Oldham use to employ one a few years back bit of a numpty at times but when he took up another job my mate who was also Asian went for the same job got shortlisted in the final 3 but lost out to James Mwale i think his name was. Use to be an Asian lad on turnstiles who was a sound lad but not seen him this season.

Edited by oafctom

Oldham use to employ one a few years back bit of a numpty at times but when he took up another job my mate who was also Asian went for the same job got shortlisted in the final 3 but lost out to James Mwale i think his name was. Use to be an Asian lad on turnstiles who was a sound lad but not seen him this season.

One at Board room level certainly wouldn't do any harm IMHO. Over to you Mr Corney.

One of programme sellers is Asian; if that counts. Don't think positive discrimination is the answer though.

One of programme sellers is Asian; if that counts. Don't think positive discrimination is the answer though.

No it doesn't IMO, you're hardly going to get an extra x through the gates just because a program seller is Asian, but on the flip side of what I said above: what's the likelihood of an Asian wanting to come on board with a Jewish chairman....hmmm works both ways I guess.

Saw an Asian steward on Monday, never seen him before though.

I read on one of the earlier pages that they club/community trust should do more work regarding this. The club and community trust do so much work with both the asian community and the whole community of Oldham with much of the work going un-noticed. Kickz for example runs in the Coldhurst/Westwood area and each week over 100 young people attend over 3 sessions. On a Sunday morning they work in partnership with Red Star Bengal and coach upto 50 kids in the Greenhill area. Add this work to the schools they visit, development centres they run and also other activities like birthday parties, holiday activities, matchday clubs, player visits and half-time childrens games on the pitch, the club and community trust can`t do much more to engage with it`s community and attract people to Boundary Park.

I`m sure if anyone wants anymore information on the community work being done then Martin Vose will be happy to help (martin.vose@oldhamathletic.co.uk).