New Stand - Planning Committee Agenda - Latics 603 NIMBY 1

Anybody listening to TalkSport?

John Helm came on discussing Thatcher's impact on sport and talked about the Valley Parade fire. He then mentioned that he'd come to BP a few weeks ago and was 'horrified' by the state of our main stand and said that it is in a state as bad as the Bradford stand that caught fire that day. Comparing it to some of the death traps of the 1950's and beyond.

If outsiders with a large knowledge of the game and first-hand experiences of such tragedies makes such comments it gives some perspective. Maybe Corney thinks the same way.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody listening to TalkSport?

John Helm came on discussing Thatcher's impact on sport and talked about the Valley Parade fire. He then mentioned that he'd come to BP a few weeks ago and was 'horrified' by the state of our main stand and said that it is in a state as bad as the Bradford stand that caught fire that day. Comparing it to some of the death traps of the 1950's and beyond.

If outsiders with a large knowledge of the game and first-hand experiences of such tragedies makes such comments it gives some perspective. Maybe Corney thinks the same way.

The Bradford fire was accumulated litter beneath the terracing igniting. The back of the Chaddy used to be like that, wooden terracing with gaps in between. I can't see how that applies to the main stand, decrepit as it is.

The Bradford fire was accumulated litter beneath the terracing igniting. The back of the Chaddy used to be like that, wooden terracing with gaps in between. I can't see how that applies to the main stand, decrepit as it is.

It is frightening to think how much litter was under the Chaddy wooden standing area, as a kid I remember older kids dropping cigs or lit matches down there to try and ignite it. We were so ignorant of what might happen, and the Bradford fire will remain with me forever. Those poor people trapped by the inferno within minutes.

It's hard enough going for a piss in the main stand...if there was a fire in the offices or players lounge area during the game which spread up to the stand it would be pandemonium.

I think the stand is a potential death trap and can't understand how it gets a safety certificate!

It's hard enough going for a piss in the main stand...if there was a fire in the offices or players lounge area during the game which spread up to the stand it would be pandemonium.

I think the stand is a potential death trap and can't understand how it gets a safety certificate!

I agree. I was shocked when I went into the upper for the first time in many years the other week

I would guess very little flammable material. The worst I can thing of is 6 pies catching fire, and everyone could get away from that one way or another. It would have been a different story in the old Chaddy, most footballs fans can look at Bradford and think themselves lucky Edited by leeslover

I would guess very little flammable material. The worst I can thing of is 6 pies catching fire, and everyone could get away from that one way or another. It would have been a different story in the old Chaddy, most footballs fans can look at Bradford and think themselves lucky

There are loads of wooden seats aren't there? I wouldn't want to get stuck in the bar/bookie/tea bar area at the top. I've only ever felt really unsafe once in a football ground; at The Dell in the Littlewoods semi-final - but I had misgivings up there at the Pompey game. I wouldn't go in there with a kid.

Plenty of escape routes, I think there are more things to worry about.

There are no horizontal gangways and it would be a bloody free for all...certainly no orderly evacuation for sure.

Maybe if you're sat in the wings or the front few rows but if you're stuck in the middle or at the back you would be in serious trouble.

There are loads of wooden seats aren't there? I wouldn't want to get stuck in the bar/bookie/tea bar area at the top. I've only ever felt really unsafe once in a football ground; at The Dell in the Littlewoods semi quarter-final - but I had misgivings up there at the Pompey game. I wouldn't go in there with a kid.

FTFY, Yes it was scary in there. I felt sorry for the ones who went all that way on a Wednesday night and didn't get in.

The land at Failsworth when "Bought" back by OMBC was worth nowhere near £5,000,000. But the sum was paid because OMBC had well and truly done Latics over with the Failsworth project, and were compensating OAFC somewhat for the debacle.

Source: Many friends in the property industry who worked on Oldham Arena and Failsworth.

So anything but a sweetener or overpayment then? Compensation seems to be the word you are looking for.

There are loads of wooden seats aren't there? I wouldn't want to get stuck in the bar/bookie/tea bar area at the top. I've only ever felt really unsafe once in a football ground; at The Dell in the Littlewoods semi-final - but I had misgivings up there at the Pompey game. I wouldn't go in there with a kid.

If there was a fire in the main stand, being at the tea bar at the Rocky side wouldn't be the worse place.

Go down to the fire escape and down towards the paddock. Big wide aisle too.

There is a fair bit of footage of the Bradford fire on You Tube, best escape route was on to the pitch, unless you have a strong constitution Id advise not looking at it though. Same applies to our main stand. The people with the worst escape route are the directors and other posh seats, down into a bar in a fire no thank you.

If there was a fire in the main stand, being at the tea bar at the Rocky side wouldn't be the worse place.

Go down to the fire escape and down towards the paddock. Big wide aisle too.

i meant the one right at the back, inside just to the right of centre as you look at it

Edited by Dave_Og

i meant the one right at the back, inside just to the right of centre as you look at it

Ah right the one underneath the seats, yeah wouldn't want to be there, unless there is a hidden fire escape somewhere. Best bet might be to do the windows in.

FTFY, Yes it was scary in there. I felt sorry for the ones who went all that way on a Wednesday night and didn't get in.

That was me and 2 of my mates, the coppers just said "go home" as though we lived round the corner. Spent the 1st half trying to get in anyway we could, seem to remember they herded a load of Latics fans into the pub at the back of the ground, and it then kicked off.

So anything but a sweetener or overpayment then? Compensation seems to be the word you are looking for.

Yeah fair point, but going back to my orignal point, we have the cash for a new Broadway Stand because of this compensation, where is the cash coming from for a new Main Stand and a new Chaddy End?

Yeah fair point, but going back to my orignal point, we have the cash for a new Broadway Stand because of this compensation, where is the cash coming from for a new Main Stand and a new Chaddy End?

TTA paid, apparently £3.5m for the Lancaster Club.

The council paid £5.0m to buy it off them.

There will be other costs involved in buying and selling.

While the "profit" may well be allocated to Latics, it's not Oldham Athletic's money.