• Chris Porter
    • Lee Hughes
    • Jose Baxter
    • Steve Taylor
    • Ian Marshall
    • Shefki Kuqi
    • Jimmy Fryatt
    • David Shaw

Stitch and the dodger. Even though I caught the very back end of palmers career. Mention for Marshall too

You bothering with "Best manager" or should we all just say "Thanks Joe - special mention for Jimmy" and have done?!

Ritchie and Marshall , no need to even think about this one .

But I do wonder how good Mike Quinn would have been in the talent laden team of 1989/91. He was second top scorer in a struggling team only beaten by Aldridge for the much superior Oxford. Hardest working forward we have had imo.

Pity you can't pick half a dozen. Obviously, The Dodger is one, but I've gone for Bert Lister as the other as (and I'm sure prozac can check this out) I think his goals to games ratio was a bit better than Stitch. And I will never forget his 6 goals in the 11-0 mullering of Southport on Boxing Day, 1962.

Quinn and Stitch, Roger Palmer wasn;t an out and out striker or i would have included him.

I have opted for the two guys who could be relied on to get the ball in the net on a regular basis,Micky Quinn could turn a centre half and have the ball goalbound before the guy knew what had happenned and Ritchie was just quality, had the ability to be in the right place at the right time and was a threat with both head and feet.,

Roger Palmer wasn;t an out and out striker or i would have included him.

Same here. You often see him listed as a midfielder as well, but that doesn't seem right either as he didn't do any of the things you would expect a midfielder to do. We might need a, "Best Roger Palmer," category.

PS went for Bunn instead. Other vote you can take for granted.

Edited by leeslover

Palmer like others I could have included like McDonough etc... Could be regarded as utility players - but given the Roger did play up front and was signed as a strikers replacement (Stainrod) then he gets the nod in this category...

Palmer like others I could have included like McDonough etc... Could be regarded as utility players - but given the Roger did play up front and was signed as a strikers replacement (Stainrod) then he gets the nod in this category...

He certainly arrived up front, often at a handy time!

Roger Palmer did play right side of midfield in 86/87... However, he's our all time leading goal scorer... So you simply cannot fail to pick him. Stitch alongside (obviously). Sharp was good in his 1st season, two goals at Maine Rd were superb... However, his autobiography tells me all I need to know about him. Pr1ck!

got to be Stitch, the guy is that much of a Latics legend that if I ever end up having a k

id I will probably name it after him

He was mentioned in my wedding speech and I did make an attempt to name my first born Andrew Richard Hall. If only we'd had a boy.

These things become hazy over the years but I recall Stitch running towards the Chaddy End chasing a huge punt from the back and catching the ball mid-jump on his foot.

Possibly on his home debut or I am a romanticising?!