Johnson close to two signings

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ it's the same every year, linked with someone who is in a higher league and everyone automatically thinks they will rip it up, then, 6 months later they're slagging them off! Pathetic!

Such as:

- Kuqi

- Derbyshire

- Barnard

- Feeney

- Reid

ETC

Stead is :censored:ing woeful! There is no chance he will 'rip it up' because even at this standard he is :censored:. And if we were to sign him (which we won't anyway) come 6 months you will all be slagging him off and getting on his back as usual with other players

I like that he's conducting his transfers early. Last season we got Baxter and Derbyshire with quite a few losses already on the board and mainly had kids and loanees which made us feel really weak at the beginning.

I'd be happy for us to sign our players relatively early, get them playing the Johnson way over the Summer for the start of the season then make any additions if there are any hidden gems like Baxter.

Just make sure that the main positions in the team aren't loanees. Lets secure as many as possible on contracts so that they're Oldham players and are accountable to us.

I've learned over the years to be a bit more realistic about the timing of signing players. Signing players early might be great in terms of integrating them into the squad but often the players who accept the early offers simply aren't good enough. The one that sticks in my head is the year Port Vale signed nearly all of their squad by mid June and talked about gunning for promotion with their star signings of...erm...Paul Edwards and Craig Rocastle. :petesake: They ended up getting relegated by nearly 20 points.

A good early start to the season isn't crucial for me, as long as Johnson is able to mould the squad gradually over the season, peaking for the last 3rd (similar to what his dad has just done) then I'll be happy.

Ross .... Sly doesnt slag our lads off nor me Barnard with service will bag loads. All I ask you as usual is who should we be after then.

Not necessarily you it's just what I see on hear and also hear in the stands. Some of our fans are on players backs all the times and that mixed with other factors is one of the reasons we are where we are in terms of a club.

For example with Matt Smith, he would come on with 10 minutes left and didn't have much time to make an impact, id hear fans in the stands booing and slagging him off and on here as well, but now he's scored a few in the FA Cup everybody loves him. It's annoying!

For me, I don't know much about who is available but I would be after someone to partner Matt Smith and feed off his knockdowns, someone with real pace such as Fraizer Campbell, Dwight Gayle etc. I know we have no chance of signing them but somebody in that ilk

Edited by Ross2509

Fair enough .... but thats the issue if Stead aint coming then Campbell etc are way out of our range. Bristol fans rated Stead but wages??? Ironic Kilkenny will be back in division again. I think the way Smith was played by PD was criminal and service woeful to likes of Barnard. I was one saying Smith had it in him but PD ruined more than Smith...en route.

I agree with Matt Smith and Dickov.

I know that we have no chance of signing Campbell etc but as a club we should be looking throughout the leagues who has a bit of pace to him and who can chip in with some goals. The only reason I would sign Stead is as a last resort if Matt Smith does indeed decide to go

'For example with Matt Smith, he would come on with 10 minutes left and didn't have much time to make an impact, id hear fans in the stands booing and slagging him off and on here as well, but now he's scored a few in the FA Cup everybody loves him. It's annoying!'

Fickle football isn't it ?

'For example with Matt Smith, he would come on with 10 minutes left and didn't have much time to make an impact, id hear fans in the stands booing and slagging him off and on here as well, but now he's scored a few in the FA Cup everybody loves him. It's annoying!'

Fickle football isn't it ?

I don't I think he has improved but is still only OK at best

He may be off to the championship but he won't be playing in the championship.

Only relegation fodder will sign him at that level, best of learning his craft here and hopefully keep improving

With our luck a woman in our chippie says Messie and Ronaldo could be signing for us I hope not, ones very left footed and the other is no spring chicken I know they like a challenge but are they ready for this one.

Not necessarily you it's just what I see on hear and also hear in the stands. Some of our fans are on players backs all the times and that mixed with other factors is one of the reasons we are where we are in terms of a club.

For example with Matt Smith, he would come on with 10 minutes left and didn't have much time to make an impact, id hear fans in the stands booing and slagging him off and on here as well, but now he's scored a few in the FA Cup everybody loves him. It's annoying!

For me, I don't know much about who is available but I would be after someone to partner Matt Smith and feed off his knockdowns, someone with real pace such as Fraizer Campbell, Dwight Gayle etc. I know we have no chance of signing them but somebody in that ilk

Jordan Slew ?

Like a Wayne Andrews to compliment the experience of either Winjhard or Eyre.

Classic Combinations.

At the 1st fans meeting, LJ mentioned he has a close friend who works for Stoke in the reserve set up.

He talked about picking up young players who would be released by big clubs, and getting them in, developing them etc.

He mentioned a young lad called Scott from Stoke, who plays attacking midfielder.

Sort of vague, but it could be that the one with no expeience at this level but has potential, quited in the Chron, is this lad?

I'm expecting a number of LJ's signings to have me going 'who?'.......but i also expect, from all LJ has said to date, for them to have been fully researched and them to be a 'right fit' for us.

Ah Dwight Gayle; only a year since I was watching him bang them in the Herts Senior Cup... Great lad, still came to watch his old side when Peterborough were not in action. Met his Dad a coupel of times, a very proud man.

At the 1st fans meeting, LJ mentioned he has a close friend who works for Stoke in the reserve set up.

He talked about picking up young players who would be released by big clubs, and getting them in, developing them etc.

He mentioned a young lad called Scott from Stoke, who plays attacking midfielder.

Sort of vague, but it could be that the one with no expeience at this level but has potential, quited in the Chron, is this lad?

I'm expecting a number of LJ's signings to have me going 'who?'.......but i also expect, from all LJ has said to date, for them to have been fully researched and them to be a 'right fit' for us.

Kris Scott?

Half English/Half American

18 in a couple of weeks

Used to be at BRISTOL CITY academy

Scored against Man City youth:

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Stoke-City-Scott-s-wonder-strike-caps-fine-Stoke/story-15969257-detail/story.html#axzz2SmyXEfgw

Could be the fella you're referring to.

Well done on being the first person on this message board to come up with that joke. Yawn

Well done on being a dick. Yawn.

Edit: actually, a couple of well known and liked posters on here recently have posted similar to what I put, so why not jump on them? Hm no balls because they are well liked?

Edited by oldhamoafc