LJ wants a drummer...

I quite like the song, but most youngsters won't get it. A balance between tradition and change is needed and we have a lot of traditions at OAFC that are not particularly positive.

The "only" words of the song, is my issue. A decaying ground, :censored:e performances on the pitch, and we here the "words" Mouldy Old Dough blasted out.

Fair enough, play the record as it is mostly instumental, BUT FFS, we dont need reminding of the obvious. When it gets to those words forget it

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys ill be back with the drum at every home game and try my best to get to away games next season as i will have a season ticket and abit more money that i did last year, for anyone wondering why i wasn't at the last few games it wasn't because we was in a relegation battle it was simply because i couldn't afford it and had college on quite a few weekends!

Good work. Keep it up.

Concerned by some of the comments on here.

How anyone can be so condescending and critical of the drum, particularly after the Everton cup game this season, is remarkable. The atmosphere, greatly helped by the drum, played a huge part in helping the team that game, much like Liverpool, and drew extensive praise from the club and the players.

It was absolutely bouncing and a top memory. Would it have been so good without the drum, hell no.

I, for one, was delighted at Ben's efforts. I don't think a couple of hundred people would have stayed behind in the RRE chanting Matty Smith Smith Smith quite so vigorously without the musical accompaniment.

Yes, you don't need a drum to have a good atmosphere, in theory. But, I'm sorry to break it to you, most of the time we don't.

The manager has even said as such. Some people are clearly yet to smell the coffee.

Improved results will help, but what is the harm in people making an effort.

I know it was an end-of-season dead rubber and we were poor, but take Shrewsbury for example. I'd have much rather heard a bit of drumming than the four pissed teenagers' painful renditions of Oh When The Blues. It most likely would have got a few more singing.

But if you are so against the drum, make some effort to flipping sing more then so we don't need it as much!!

I thought Ben got it right in the Everton game in particular. He didn't drown out songs, just used the drum to get them going, then took a break, then started again. It gave the Great Escape a 30-minute lease of life!

The "only" words of the song, is my issue. A decaying ground, :censored:e performances on the pitch, and we here the "words" Mouldy Old Dough blasted out.

Fair enough, play the record as it is mostly instumental, BUT FFS, we dont need reminding of the obvious. When it gets to those words forget it

I'd not seen or heard it with this clarity until finding this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy32skBSHs0

Looking it that and knowing what we know now I wonder how many kids have been nonced to that record?

I do actually think that the song is awful but for me there is nothing else like it for saying "YOU'RE AT BLOODY LATICS!!!" For the next couple of hours nothing else matters, the stresses of work, bills, wife and that little niggling pain between the shoulder blades can be put to one side and replaced with the stresses that if we don't win this one then we really are down.

When I first started going to Latics the combined aroma of cheap aftershave, cigarette smoke, bovril, BO, booze and horsemeat was synonymous with being at BP, over the years smoking has been banned and personal hygene has improved so the smell isn't quite the same but Mould Old Dough remains. It is our "Z Cars", the Pompey Chimes, You'll Never Walk Alone and Blue Is The Colour all rolled into one, it makes us US.

It is the piano bit which really cuts through me, it is worse than Les Dawson really going for it, the words don't bother me as through the PA we have it sounds like "mmMMMMouuuuldddddiiiioooooohhlllllllllldddddddddoooooohhhhhhhhhh" Which is just like the modern music the kids listen to which gives them the brain damage with the hipping and the hopping and bipping and the bopping.

I suppose it also reminds me of a time when we were good, the glory years, maybe it was because we were winning more than we lost that Latics was a good place to go, it all seemed to matter so much less then, win, draw or lose it didn't really matter there was the game on Tuesday night to put it right or carry the run on. Maybe as I didn't then go out in Oldham after the game I didn't see the same negativity you get on here or in some pubs after the games where armchair managers make out they can make a silk purse out of the sows ear that is a 19 year old 8 stone left back....

But you can take my Mould Old Dough when you prise it from my cold dead fingers.

Think the kick off time helped the Everton atmosphere as much as the drum #morebooze

This is worth thinking about. Friday night games anyone? Do we get to decide when we play or does the league?

I like the drum, but sometimes it gets on my nerves. Rummy's right. Drums don't make atmosphere's; people do, especially the ones who've had a few.

How's about not starting a drum beat when other people have already started a song? Rare, I know, but something to think about. Not fond of the stringendo in Oh When the Blues either.

Latics fans piss me off sometimes! Anything for a whinge! Fair enough through the season when results don't go our way and we're playing :censored:e but it's summer for :censored:s sake so they moan about anything from corney to a fecking drum.

We all want an athmosphere at bp surely? Why not give it a go? Got to beat the recent athmosphere generated in the league and surely can't be any worse?

Latics fans piss meoff sometimes! Anything for a whinge! moaning about anything from corney to fans moaning about a fecking drum.

We all want an atmosphere at BP surely? Why not give not having a drum a go? Got to beat the recent atmosphere generated in the league and surely it cant be any worse?

See what I did there? Weve had a drum for quite a few years now. It doesnt work, in fact it makes it worse. Give it up.

How anyone can be so condescending and critical of the drum, particularly after the Everton cup game this season, is remarkable. The atmosphere, greatly helped by the drum, played a huge part in helping the team that game, much like Liverpool, and drew extensive praise from the club and the players.

It was absolutely bouncing and a top memory. Would it have been so good without the drum, hell no.

Disagree. It would have been better. Dont remember the drum at forest.

This is worth thinking about. Friday night games anyone? Do we get to decide when we play or does the league?

I like the drum, but sometimes it gets on my nerves. Rummy's right. Drums don't make atmosphere's; people do, especially the ones who've had a few.

How's about not starting a drum beat when other people have already started a song? Rare, I know, but something to think about. Not fond of the stringendo in Oh When the Blues either.

Decent suggestion Friday nights, obviously wouldn't suit everyone but worth a try early/late season when the weather is better etc.

I'm not big on the drum, think it had its place with the cup ties but different story when there's 3000 rattling around in BP, sat in different stands.

I dont think fridays would work. We have tried it in the past with not much success, plus a load of pissed up kids ballooning probably wouldnt go down too well with the natives. Or the board.

I work Friday nights so its a no for me also may put potential away followings of making the trip up.

Disagree. It would have been better. Dont remember the drum at forest.

I don't either. It was great, but wouldn't it still have been great with the drum there judging how fantastic it was against Everton? Remember, even the Main Stand started joining in....!

That's not to say we needed it pounding away every two minutes at the City Ground, because we were making enough noise as it was.

You obviously use it based on how much you need it. In my opinion it's a good tool to kick-off songs, or give them a new lease of life rather than petering out after two verses.

Quite clearly it wasn't needed much at Forest, and was still a great atmosphere without out, because of the three goals in seven wonder minutes and the cup underdogs atmosphere.

But just as Everton alone doesn't justify the drum, Forest alone doesn't justify not using it and all of this 'don't come to games' rubbish - jog on for god's sake!

I think the drum works very well when the fans, and the team, need a lift ie when things on the pitch aren't going that well and everyone's a bit quiet.

For example, when Everton went 2-1 up. The drum really brought the RRE back to life, shut the away fans up, and we dominated the atmosphere from then until full-time. That's not to say we couldn't have done that without it, but it certainly helped - so why not.

Our home form has been pants this season, admittedly, which hasn't helped the atmosphere.

But I think it's been better when at least a hundred or so fans are singing, helped by the drum, rather than the atmosphere drifting into zilch which it definitely has when the drummer hasn't been around. And if worse comes to worst, at least if our fans are quiet, the drum can drown out the opposition supporters!

I should add that at least Ben appears to always be open to using the drum based on feedback and discussing it - a more mature discussion than numerous others on here judging by their harsh responses?

Thats the problem for me. Half an hour pounding the drum v everton at home gave no chance to any other songs. Admittedly everton must have been impressed because they made the fantastic decision to ban it for the game at goodison. Any idea what the atmosphere was like without it at goodison?

You are choosing to ignore the fact that we have had a drum for a good few years now and the atmosphere is still poo, in fact its even worse because whenever a song is started off the drummer dives in and BOOM BOOM BOOMs all over it so it dies anyway.

I'd not seen or heard it with this clarity until finding this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy32skBSHs0

Looking it that and knowing what we know now I wonder how many kids have been nonced to that record?

I do actually think that the song is awful but for me there is nothing else like it for saying "YOU'RE AT BLOODY LATICS!!!" For the next couple of hours nothing else matters, the stresses of work, bills, wife and that little niggling pain between the shoulder blades can be put to one side and replaced with the stresses that if we don't win this one then we really are down.

When I first started going to Latics the combined aroma of cheap aftershave, cigarette smoke, bovril, BO, booze and horsemeat was synonymous with being at BP, over the years smoking has been banned and personal hygene has improved so the smell isn't quite the same but Mould Old Dough remains. It is our "Z Cars", the Pompey Chimes, You'll Never Walk Alone and Blue Is The Colour all rolled into one, it makes us US.

It is the piano bit which really cuts through me, it is worse than Les Dawson really going for it, the words don't bother me as through the PA we have it sounds like "mmMMMMouuuuldddddiiiioooooohhlllllllllldddddddddoooooohhhhhhhhhh" Which is just like the modern music the kids listen to which gives them the brain damage with the hipping and the hopping and bipping and the bopping.

I suppose it also reminds me of a time when we were good, the glory years, maybe it was because we were winning more than we lost that Latics was a good place to go, it all seemed to matter so much less then, win, draw or lose it didn't really matter there was the game on Tuesday night to put it right or carry the run on. Maybe as I didn't then go out in Oldham after the game I didn't see the same negativity you get on here or in some pubs after the games where armchair managers make out they can make a silk purse out of the sows ear that is a 19 year old 8 stone left back....

But you can take my Mould Old Dough when you prise it from my cold dead fingers.

Whatever

Why have we always played Mouldy Old Dough at matches? I can't see an link.

It's synonymous with Oldham and Boundary Park for me. All those years hearing the tinny strains before kick off with the smell bovril freezing my knackers off..even in May. Even have it as my ringtone

I know it was an end-of-season dead rubber and we were poor, but take Shrewsbury for example. I'd have much rather heard a bit of drumming than the four pissed teenagers' painful renditions of Oh When The Blues. It most likely would have got a few more singing.

spot on, that was awful listening to them four, couldnt bare it!

and when they were shouting the keeper... was awful! the game was bad enough without them lot.

they got his name mixed up. To be fair they didn't sound like there where from Oldham which made me think where they just some young ground hoppers. Edited by oafctom

anyone remember Bristol Rovers away February 2008 and the local residents ordered that the drum was confiscated because we were making "too much noise"

I didnt go but remember being told about this. Maybe if we play them again before they move to there new ground be good to remind them just what they will be missing.

they got his name mixed up. To be fair they didn't sound like there where from Oldham which made me think where they just some young ground hoppers.

One Oldham fan and his mates from uni (birmingham I assume).