Paul Gerrard joins Dickov

Why would anyone look silly? Its simply opinions on an ex failed manager. The simple facts are he had almost universal backing for ages, knew the budget from day one had more chances than many managers would get and we would have been relegated with him in charge. He left to protect his CV failed miserably with the team the cup run almost proving what was possible. Tactics erm did we have any?, fitness or stamina dubious, favourites even if played out of position, excuses and the rest.

Personally I dont think he deserved a chance in a higher division just yet as done nothing to earn it some of the statements he has come out with refer back to latics when not needed even as sound bites for new employees. Almost shows a lack of respect to a point. Nice bloke to talk to, did care about results but ultimately wasnt very good at it with us.

If we had been doing well with Butler on board etc fair enough but it was abject rubbish in lots of games and some of the younger players lost any enthusiasm at all. I honestly believe he will not be manager at Donny in 18 months time. But if he is good luck to him but no silly involved he might have learned from past mistakes. However I wont be rushing to look for Donny results onwards and upwards at BP hopefully we certainly cant be as submissive as last season. Our home record was criminal.

I cant remember a manager having more backing from fans than Dickov and people wanting him to do well but his words did not match the results. Time to look forward but when he shuts up sort of making excuses for his failings then some like me might stop comments as its Latics that matters not some South Yorkshire backwater.

I heard that Butler once took the first team for training, but Butler had to go and get PD as they completely ignored him.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to drag this thread up but Just been chatting to a good mate of Gerrards who was speaking to him last night about all things football.

Wasn't complimentary of us at all. Said he's had a bet on us to go down, thinks its all going to pot behind the scenes and he's glad he's out.

Also said Dickov is struggling to bring players in at donny because he has a list of players he wants to sign but the quality of the players aren't good enough for the ambitions of the new investors... problem is that the new investment isn't yet in the club and is looking like it will be after the window closes so he's in a bit of a catch 22.

They've tried to sign Kieron Westwood (22k + 4k appearance fee) Shay Given (61k) and Steven Ireland (50k) and been told the players are available but they have to pay full wages. Also enquired about a wolves goalkeeper but didn't say which who is on 16k. Wolves need to move him on but cant get anyone to pay his wages.

Not to dispute what you've heard but if the new Donny investors have that kind of money to splash, it'll be Dickov out, Sven Goran in.

Plus, if Gerrard left under a cloud, I'm sure it's soured his feelings for us.

Sorry to drag this thread up but Just been chatting to a good mate of Gerrards who was speaking to him last night about all things football.

Wasn't complimentary of us at all. Said he's had a bet on us to go down, thinks its all going to pot behind the scenes and he's glad he's out.

Also said Dickov is struggling to bring players in at donny because he has a list of players he wants to sign but the quality of the players aren't good enough for the ambitions of the new investors... problem is that the new investment isn't yet in the club and is looking like it will be after the window closes so he's in a bit of a catch 22.

They've tried to sign Kieron Westwood (22k + 4k appearance fee) Shay Given (61k) and Steven Ireland (50k) and been told the players are available but they have to pay full wages. Also enquired about a wolves goalkeeper but didn't say which who is on 16k. Wolves need to move him on but cant get anyone to pay his wages.

Defiantly sour grapes there. Why would people like Murray Byrne signing new contracts and Baxter and montano be enjoying their football again from the Chron if it was all going wrong behind the scenes. However does sound like my friends brothers uncles partners stepson told me......

Don't care what an ex-coach thinks about our club. That regime tried but failed, the page has now turned and a new chapter is being written as we speak.

From what I've seen so far regarding signings, performances and LJ's approach with the team and fans is far from everything going to pot behind the scenes.

Trust me, players agents know a lot about the comings and goings of clubs where their players ply their trade. If there were issues then it would have got out into the local press by now.

Sour grapes if PG has spouted all this. Move on mate, move on...!

Edited by Midsblue

It sounds like someone down the alleged line of the story was near the end of the bottle, I won't read a lot into this. I can well understand PG being pissed off with the club, it looks as if they liked him but had to follow HR advice about shipping the rest off

Personally I'm not so convinced, PG liked it here. OK he got messed around from December and LDJ did not listen to him as who to keep but that could have been financial too.

An Oldham fan who doesn't usually post on here but I'm sure quite a few of you know, described one of PG's close friends as horrible. It might not be the same person but I think Gaz's mate might be having him on. Plus, there's a few people I know who would describe themselves as being mates with PG who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them.

And time for bed

Personally I'm not so convinced, PG liked it here. OK he got messed around from December and LDJ did not listen to him as who to keep but that could have been financial too.

An Oldham fan who doesn't usually post on here but I'm sure quite a few of you know, described one of PG's close friends as horrible. It might not be the same person but I think Gaz's mate might be having him on. Plus, there's a few people I know who would describe themselves as being mates with PG who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them.

Love beer-posts.

PG got messed about and has a right to feel pissed off.

Saying that he was part of a regime that was failing so that was why he was messed about.

His feelings will be be blurred somewhat by his own emotions and it sounds like his views are biased against the club.

I would hope that it was of a case that whatever did happen, the club is now improving, for the time being anyway.

Rovers do not even have a 'keeper listed on their squad-list.

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/squad-list-2013-14-956815.aspx

As we write, there is a hell of a hoo-hah building up on Twitter, regarding their squad and the fact that one of their 'highly rated' defenders is on the verge of signing for Blackburn on a free transfer and no players appear to be incoming.

and by the time Dickov has finished coaching him, the band will have to change their name to 'One Dimension'. :grin:

And if they all wear curly ginger wigs they could call themselves moneystootight dimension.

I'll get my coat.