v Dinamo Bucharest

Seen as though this was our first game of the campaign against a decent side i thought that we played pretty well and some individuals really impressed me also. Obviously my opinions are formed with a pinch of salt as all the players only played 45 minutes each but i would say that of the triallists i would have another look at Dao and the Latvian U-21, both played decent enough and we should have a look.

I don't see any point in having another look at Anton Rodgers.

Baxter impressed me first half and it was obvious that we are in for another good season with him, he's our play-maker.

I was quite impressed with Schmeltz and Montano who looked attacking and threatening even though i was a lot more impressed with Montano than i was Schmeltz who looked a little shaky at times.

We were a lot better first half and one of the main factors of that being that the side we put out in the first half was a lot better than the one we put out in the second, Clarke - Harris really, really impressed me up top on his own and it was out of him or Mellor for MOM. Second half, there isn't much to comment on besides that Charlie MacDonald's goal was a nice tidy finish responding quickly to the setback of them scoring, something that wasn't seen in the team under Dickov, with there heads going down after conceding.

Overall, 2-2 in our first game against a good team is a good result and there are promising signs from individuals, especially Clarke - Harris.

Seen as though this was our first game of the campaign against a decent side i thought that we played pretty well and some individuals really impressed me also. Obviously my opinions are formed with a pinch of salt as all the players only played 45 minutes each but i would say that of the triallists i would have another look at Dao and the Latvian U-21, both played decent enough and we should have a look.

I don't see any point in having another look at Anton Rodgers.

Baxter impressed me first half and it was obvious that we are in for another good season with him, he's our play-maker.

I was quite impressed with Schmeltz and Montano who looked attacking and threatening even though i was a lot more impressed with Montano than i was Schmeltz who looked a little shaky at times.

We were a lot better first half and one of the main factors of that being that the side we put out in the first half was a lot better than the one we put out in the second, Clarke - Harris really, really impressed me up top on his own and it was out of him or Mellor for MOM. Second half, there isn't much to comment on besides that Charlie MacDonald's goal was a nice tidy finish responding quickly to the setback of them scoring, something that wasn't seen in the team under Dickov, with there heads going down after conceding.

Overall, 2-2 in our first game against a good team is a good result and there are promising signs from individuals, especially Clarke - Harris.

Kirk Millar did well I thought.

Rodgers sure as hell weren't as bad as made out. Tough in the tackle and was busy

The signings Smith was good as we knew already

Dayton is a very intelligent player

Clarke-Harris I thought was possibly the best player on the pitch 1st 45mins

Schmeltz only got 45mins, quick and raw. I think he will be brilliant for 10mins and drive us mad for 80mins

Charlie Mac was how I remember him and think it could be a masterstroke of a signing not just on the pitch but around the club

Montano did well going forward but switched off time and again defensively as he has in the past

Mellor was very good I thought

Especially impressed with Clarke-Harris and generally the physical condition of the players. David Mellor has lost even more weight since last season and the new signings look fit and lean. No trialist really impressed me massively, thought our own were far superior although the Latvian CB made a good clearance and felt very sorry for N'Diaye as he was apparently good in training. LJ looks like he's just got off the plane from Dubai, too!

More importantly, does anybody else think that we must've designed our new crest from their's? It's weirdly similar, the font, shape, positioning and everything!

3ehr.jpg

I was impressed with the RB trialist, thought he played it on the deck much more than when Brown plays there and looked much bigger physically.

I would expect him, the trialist keeper, the latvian and maybe the injured guy if not too serious to get another look considering this is just the first game.

Reckon 2 midfielders to go, not because they were awful but thought Gosset, one of our own, was better and had more influence on the game.

Rodgers sure as hell weren't as bad as made out. Tough in the tackle and was busy

The signings Smith was good as we knew already

Dayton is a very intelligent player

Clarke-Harris I thought was possibly the best player on the pitch 1st 45mins

Schmeltz only got 45mins, quick and raw. I think he will be brilliant for 10mins and drive us mad for 80mins

Charlie Mac was how I remember him and think it could be a masterstroke of a signing not just on the pitch but around the club

Montano did well going forward but switched off time and again defensively as he has in the past

Mellor was very good I thought

Agree with this exception really didn't think Sydney got into the game but new club new surroundings new country etc got to be given time! Clarke Harris massively impressed

From what I saw of N'Diaye's injury it looked like a bad twist to his knee which was already bandaged and IIRC someone on here said he had a few problems with it already.

I doubt we will see him again in preseason, which is a pity as he had the physical attributes that I think could have come in handy. One of the things I like about the club though is that we tend to look after players without a proper contract who get injured whilst they were with us.

Agree with this exception really didn't think Sydney got into the game but new club new surroundings new country etc got to be given time! Clarke Harris massively impressed

The ball was rarely passed to the Dutchie on the right-hand side, so he swapped to the left-hand side.

Especially impressed with Clarke-Harris and generally the physical condition of the players. David Mellor has lost even more weight since last season and the new signings look fit and lean. No trialist really impressed me massively, thought our own were far superior although the Latvian CB made a good clearance and felt very sorry for N'Diaye as he was apparently good in training. LJ looks like he's just got off the plane from Dubai, too!

More importantly, does anybody else think that we must've designed our new crest from their's? It's weirdly similar, the font, shape, positioning and everything!

3ehr.jpg

3ehr.jpg

We have copyed melbourne victory's badge. I don't see the big deal with shield badges lately.

Apart from little bit of skill, Schidney hardly touched the ball. Dayton can strike a ball judging from the couple of set-pieces he pinged in. They all looked trim, no one was carrying any timber and sharpness apart (which is understandable) they looked like they've stuck to LJ's plan, Tarky looks like he's been on the weights...

Am I the only one who thinks anton Rodgers was worth another look ?

I'll join the minority. Watching the stream last night I thought he did ok; good in the tackle, wanted the ball, few good incisive passes forward and worth a second look.

Can't understand how some have written him off after just 45 minutes; new into the squad as a trialist and in our first match of the season??!! This is a player that Chelsea had in their youth team - OK you can say this happened as his dad was a coach there - but they don't just sign anyone. He then went to Brighton under Gus Poyet who has shown he can spot a player so must have seen something and lastly, I trust LJ so if he thinks he can deliver something extra to the team then I'll support him.

He could well could come good for us and potentially open up the chance for us to sign a few decentLiverpool kids on loan via his dad

Outside of Anton, I was really impressed with the display last night. Bearing in mind it was a first pre-season game, against decent opposition way above our level, a load of trialists and new faces then we go ahead, concede two then fight back and grab a draw.

They played in different halves but Clarke-Harris and McDonald playing together may be something we've been looking for over the last few seasons. Baxter behind them, Dayton and Schmeltz out wide with Korey sitting back with the passing will provide loads of chances to latch on to and bag the goals.

Loads of promise and relishing the next game to see how they gel further ready for the Stevenage game.

As LJ said; "fast forward 4 weeks....." allowing the squad to play together, gain experience playing as a team and playing the same kind of football we witnessed in parts last night then we could surprise a few people.

A lot more optimistic than I was last week and won't be changing my answer to Q1 on the poll "12 months from now" as I'm sure LJ will fight to end our eternity in this league!!!

Personally don't think anyone on here has been overly negative towards rogers just that he wasn't outstanding. From last nights showing I would put him behind Wes Korey Smith Mellor and Gosset for a CM spot, so not sure i would be clamouring to sign him. If LJ wants to take another look then fair enough.

.......so - can i officially get excited for this season now?

Really think it's starting to take shape.

I'm all geared up for watching some decent football this season; seeing a few goals scored and winning a few home games. Looking forward to it!!!!

.......so - can i officially get excited for this season now?

Really think it's starting to take shape.

I'm all geared up for watching some decent football this season; seeing a few goals scored and winning a few home games. Looking forward to it!!!!

I know it's only the first friendly but any team makes the mistake of backing off us this season then we will hand some right hidings out. MacDonald is exactly what we need, no pissfannying about with an extra two or three touches (Simpson) clean strike, bottom corner - goal! Did the same with the one he pulled wide too. You won't notice him for a lot of the game but give him time and space and he'll score goals.

The only worry for me is that we played with a good tempo last pre-season, then right at the last minute it all went tits up with the Miguel deal falling through and we dipped lower into the barrel for Slew. Having said that I don't think Johnson will do that, it'll be gradual build up to a consistent system of playing.

Really looking forward to the rest of the friendlies and chomping at the bit for Stevenage, Derby and Walsall et al...

And on top of this there's more arrivals in the offing.

Highlight of the night for me was Gosset's challenge and in a friendly at that, that for me means Wes' days are numbered, been told by a few if we can move him on he's out of here and looking at the potential of young Danny, I can see why. There won't be one backward step in midfield this season....The last home grown midfielder able to tackle like that was Nicky Henry, who he reminds me of big time.