David Mellor

Reading the match report saying he was at centre back and I am just not working out how he can do it. Is this just a pre-season thing so LJ can get everyone game time or is it a permenant move.

Unless he has had a teenage style growth spurt during the summer I feel he is just too small to play at CB. If he does play alongside someone (probably tarky) you'll get the big 6ft strikers which will have a field day against him as they will stand on him all game.

From those that have seen him how did he do and do you think it will work over the season

Was surprised at how well he did at centre-half today, wouldn't have had him down as that type of player at all. Still not convinced that's his best position, but he can certainly do a job there. Put in some decent tackles and never looked out of his depth.

Was wincing whenever Rodgers was marking at the far post, though, he looked tiny.

I remember him regularly partnering Alex Parkes at CB when he was in the youths. If he does make the switch permanent at least we'll have two ball playing CBs. Tbh having seen Wes' first half shambles I still think he'll be back in CM sooner rather than later, especially if one of LJs CB targets arrives in the next couple of days…..

I thought he was composed and did well. But for me he lacks 2 big ingredients to be successful at this level at cb. I noticed yesterday he repeatedly got dragged out of position and stuggled to read the high ball and let it bounce. All these can be worked on though.

I remember him regularly partnering Alex Parkes at CB when he was in the youths. If he does make the switch permanent at least we'll have two ball playing CBs. Tbh having seen Wes' first half shambles I still think he'll be back in CM sooner rather than later, especially if one of LJs CB targets arrives in the next couple of days..

In what way was wes's performance shambolic?!!

He did, under Stitch but soon stuck him back in CM when he signed Thom, Graham came back from injury and he could drop Sinnott. He eventually binned his policy of three at the back too...

He played cb under Dowie also, think he had a stormer against QPR when we won away.

IMO, in the formation and with the style of play we're seemingly looking to play with, we need a DCM in the side. As long as you have another midfielder doing the box to box role and breaking forward.

Wes and Smith in that combo is more than fine, as long as Smith is indeed breaking forward.

IMO, we've the situation where it's 4 CM's but 3 of them are going for the same position. Wes, Mellor And Rodgers are all DCM players, Smith is the only one of the 4 of them who is the all-round CM.

Its Smith plus 1 of them in CM for me. And as we're a young side, as he's played in a side gaining promotion from this division, and as he's the best of the 3 of them in that role, its Wes who'd get the nod to play there.

Its great to have the competition in that area though.

As for Mellor in the CB role.

He look good in the vs Dinamo. He would definately add to our play as a ball playing CB and he isnt too shabby physically these days to stand up to the rough stuff. Experience and training in the role is a worry, but as ofhers have said - i'd exlect him to revert to DCM and fight for a place there once a loan CB comes in. He does add to the depth who could cover should injuries and suspensions kick in.

I remember him regularly partnering Alex Parkes at CB when he was in the youths. If he does make the switch permanent at least we'll have two ball playing CBs. Tbh having seen Wes' first half shambles I still think he'll be back in CM sooner rather than later, especially if one of LJs CB targets arrives in the next couple of days…..

Describing Wes' first-half performance as 'a shambles' is ludicrous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C._Reserves_and_Academy

I know nothing about him but, can we loan Nacho Huertas Ortiz aswell?

Here he is number 8, scoring 4 mins 30 secs into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQQQox6A6F8

Personally on there I prefer the name Oluwaseyi Ojo, he's got to make it with a name like that, I can see the Latics fans singing now;

"Got my Ojo working" .

Edited by BP1960

He played centre half in a few friendlies 2 years ago and did very well before not seeing him again for months at a time!

yep definitely saw him play there against Mossley start of the season before last when some of us thought he was the much rumoured, about to be signed, Xander Diamond!