LP Commentary

Amidst the heart-attack worthy emotions of that Stevenage game, I already find myself wishing for Gordon to cut Roy's mic off at certain parts of the game.

There's bias, and then there's Roy, and whilst I can understand one can get a little "eager & OTT" watching their own club, Roy takes it to an entirely different level - you can even tell Gordon is keeping his lips closed from saying something.

Yes, the ref was apparently :censored:e on Saturday, but it's every single game where the referee apparent has it in for us, and that all our players (when tackled) are shot or kung-fu kicked in the face and yet when we scithe someone down, their players are soft.

Is it really just me who gets a little wound up with Roy's input into the matchday commentary?

Edited by sjk2008

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally am glad someone does it more than wanting to knock the bloke. So he's biased, so am I !! I am actually quite jealous that so many posters lives must be so much better than mine, my worries are of much bigger :censored:e. Still you have the right to air your views, Roy isn't the best but neither is LaticsWorld

I tune in for the bias. So what if they occasionally (frequently) get the players' names wrong or are the last to know when a goal's been scored or an alien spaceship has landed in the centre circle? It exactly mirrors the bias and confusion you get in the stands.

Plus you get the odd choice phrase - as you do in the stands - such as, "If this referee ever gives us a free kick, I'll knit fog."

I'm with the OP on this, Bias is expected, but Roy takes it to a different level and ruins it. Not only that but he is clueless to the laws of the game, but constantly has a go at the referee without knowing why! I end up tuning into the away commentary because it is nearly ALWAYS better. Im paying for a service so i have the right to moan!

A bit of bias, IMO, is perfectly acceptable, and Gordon is a good example of that. However, he still has the nous to realise not to go OTT and can appreciate we sometimes get things in our favour or that one of our players should have been booked or that they've gone down a little too easy. Roy, on the other hand, is something else, and whilst you expect a bit of a "homer" outlook on Oldham commentary, I'm still listening to get a true picture of the game.

I think Gordon/Mike and Roy are brill. They keep me entertained and up to date. I like the fact they're unique and very 'Oldham'.

I hate listening to others' commentaries, and hearing the same old generic posh southern english accents.

On the rare occasion i'm stuck at home listening to LP the only issue I have is trying to guess whether we've actually scored or not! Can't beat routeing the laptop through the surround sound. Roy's 'lickles' and bokkle's and the sounds Gordon makes that only a doberman and Superman can hear, really make the £4.49 a month seem a bargain….

... I end up tuning into the away commentary because it is nearly ALWAYS better. Im paying for a service so i have the right to moan!

Can't see why you're grumbling. Through LP, you're paying for the access to the other teams commentary as well as ours, so I guess if you don't want to listen to a unique commentary style you can listen to the other team's commentary.

I wouldn't expect an unbiased commentary from a football club's website, I feel sorry for the club's supporters who don't have their own commentators and have to make do with their local BBC commentators,

Edited by laticsrblue

The thing with Roy is that he's a Latics man through and through. I can assure you from having met him a few times, he's a lovely bloke in his early seventies who just loves football, adores the club and still does work behind the scenes apart from commentaries. Yes, he's a bit biased. So what? He tells it as he sees it. I'd rather have that on my club's commentary than some of the others who just pipe in the local BBC station.

Don't forget, Roy is not a professional commentator. He does it for the love of it, as does Mike Leyland. Could any of us do it any better without training? Give the guy a break, lads. As for Gordon's reactions, all I can say is that he and Roy have been close friends for over 40 years.

By the way, the ref at Stevenage WAS a tosser.

Edited by Bristolatic

The thing with Roy is that he's a Latics man through and through. I can assure you from having met him a few times, he's a lovely bloke in his early seventies who just loves football, adores the club and still does work behind the scenes apart from commentaries. Yes, he's a bit biased. So what? He tells it as he sees it. I'd rather have that on my club's commentary than some of the others who just pipe in the local BBC station.

Don't forget, Roy is not a professional commentator. He does it for the love of it, as does Mike Leyland. Could any of us do it any better without training? Give the guy a break, lads. As for Gordon's reactions, all I can say is that he and Roy have been close friends for over 40 years.

By the way, the ref at Stevenage WAS a tosser.

I really enjoy listening to Mike Leyland's commentary, I must say.

Gordon and Roy are a pleasure to listen to. OK there is bias, but at least Gordon goes to the trouble of knowing opposition players names. When I have occasionally listened to the home teams commentaries when ours is down. Many times it just goes quiet when we have the ball, or "it's the number" 3 or even a worse "an Oldham defender". I find Roy's interruptions very amusing sometimes, and they are both much better than anything I've heard from other clubs.

Amidst the heart-attack worthy emotions of that Stevenage game, I already find myself wishing for Gordon to cut Roy's mic off at certain parts of the game.

There's bias, and then there's Roy, and whilst I can understand one can get a little "eager & OTT" watching their own club, Roy takes it to an entirely different level - you can even tell Gordon is keeping his lips closed from saying something.

Yes, the ref was apparently :censored:e on Saturday, but it's every single game where the referee apparent has it in for us, and that all our players (when tackled) are shot or kung-fu kicked in the face and yet when we scithe someone down, their players are soft.

Is it really just me who gets a little wound up with Roy's input into the matchday commentary?

An easier solution would be to spend the money you do on Latics player on attending the fixture, would make it a tad cheaper.