LP Commentary

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was annoying to loose the connection, to find it knocked easily out by some kid seems unusual.

But the Derby commentary was woeful compared to Mike Leylands and Roys last night, and Gordon's when he is on.

Mind you the Derby commentary nearly slated the ref as much as Roy, even when they did know the rules.

I would just like to clarify that I don't believe the young man that walked past the front of our wires etc (can't believe I used the word urchin last night, don't know why that word came into my head but no offence was intended) was seemingly nothing to do with our disconnecting. I heard a click twice and twice we were off. Quickly confirmed by Bob and others, we dialled straight back in. I think we were off air for a total of 5 minutes but sorry if your experience was different to that. We couldn't see any other reason for being disconnected.

We had issues last year and sorted them out. I will stick up for Roy here and say that he's at the ground very early setting everything up and runs tests locally very early to ensure everything is running smoothly. As you know and as has been mentioned in previous threads I'm a volunteer so don't speak on behalf of the club but if this persists, we'll sort it out again ASAP.

I would just like to clarify that I don't believe the young man that walked past the front of our wires etc (can't believe I used the word urchin last night, don't know why that word came into my head but no offence was intended) was seemingly nothing to do with our disconnecting. I heard a click twice and twice we were off. Quickly confirmed by Bob and others, we dialled straight back in. I think we were off air for a total of 5 minutes but sorry if your experience was different to that. We couldn't see any other reason for being disconnected.

We had issues last year and sorted them out. I will stick up for Roy here and say that he's at the ground very early setting everything up and runs tests locally very early to ensure everything is running smoothly. As you know and as has been mentioned in previous threads I'm a volunteer so don't speak on behalf of the club but if this persists, we'll sort it out again ASAP.

Cheers Mike, did cause a flutter on chat.

Not sure you can cause offence by the word urchin though.

Are you sure it was not Roy's fault? Presumably he was go apopletic at last nights ref! :grin:

Edited by singe

Mike, I very much enjoy your commentaries, as I've said elsewhere. I think you're a great asset to LP.

The service is poor however. Losing commentary is not an uncommon occurrence, which it should be. You were definitely off for more than five minutes last night.

I've just managed to get the commentary working this season - my technical faults, not the apps!

I have to say I love it. As a Latics fan based in another country it was impossible to get real news on the club until I got sorted on this website and now with live commentary I feel more a part of things than ever.

I'm not expecting impartiality or even detail and 100 per cent accuracy - to be honest I've always struggled to visualise a match from audio commentary no matter what the match or who ever is behind the mic - for me it's a new link that gives me great immediacy when a match is on, rather than waiting for Internet pages to refresh.

I'm looking forward to listening in to lots of matches this season and I'll subscribe as long as the service exists.

(Yes, there are outages, that is irritating, but compared to how I've had to follow matches for years it's definitely tolerable).

I've just managed to get the commentary working this season - my technical faults, not the apps!

I have to say I love it. As a Latics fan based in another country it was impossible to get real news on the club until I got sorted on this website and now with live commentary I feel more a part of things than ever.

I'm not expecting impartiality or even detail and 100 per cent accuracy - to be honest I've always struggled to visualise a match from audio commentary no matter what the match or who ever is behind the mic - for me it's a new link that gives me great immediacy when a match is on, rather than waiting for Internet pages to refresh.

I'm looking forward to listening in to lots of matches this season and I'll subscribe as long as the service exists.

(Yes, there are outages, that is irritating, but compared to how I've had to follow matches for years it's definitely tolerable).

Funnily enough i've had it for years, always thought it was crap, yet made arrangements to get it in abu dhabi (there was some block on it) and found myself dashing across London to Tulsehill Towers yesterday in time for the second half, my PC being ill. It can't be that bad

How long does it take to plug it back in again ?

I'm guessing that they didn't notice until either Roy or Mike had a text or tweet from a listener.

Maybe the connecting leads should be relocated to somewhere more visible or taped in place for the duration of the game.

Now that Mike's twitter account is on his OWTB posts more of us will be able to get in touch to give feedback if something similar happens again. The only problem with that is that some people have LP commentary problems that are nothing to do with Latics and could prompt unnecessary reboots of Latics system and so unnecessary temporary loss of commentary for the rest of us with no problems.

Edited by laticsrblue

Hi Mike

I, too, massively enjoy the LP commentary - when it's on. When it goes off, listeners have a choice. They can wait for the problem to be sorted out and keep refreshing, or they can switch to the other (inferior) commentary. That's how come people ended up listening to the Derby folk for most of the 2nd half. I realise there's lots for you and Roy and Gordon to do, but is there any way of giving some sort of notification (in chat or via Twitter) that you're back on?

Also...about that half-time music...

I think I saw a comment by one of our usual journos on Twitter saying that the wi-fi was dodgy and not working at times last night. That may be connected to the LP difficulties last night.

It doesn't (unless it's changed and from Mike's comments above it hasn't) work on the wifi - it's a dial in service - basically Mike and Roy are on the phone to a switch board which patches it to the server which converts and compresses it and fires it out over the net.

It doesn't (unless it's changed and from Mike's comments above it hasn't) work on the wifi - it's a dial in service - basically Mike and Roy are on the phone to a switch board which patches it to the server which converts and compresses it and fires it out over the net.

We need to come out of the dark ages if more customers are to be won over.

We need to come out of the dark ages if more customers are to be won over.

This is actually how most clubs do it - a direct line is much more reliable than an Internet connection.

Problem is that the whole main stand is falling apart and so generally speaking anything you plug in is (was) still going through wires older than me!

If they do one thing only in the new stand it should be putting a media center in there somewhere! Even if it's a multipurpose room like at Orient or somewhere, so that it makes money during the week.

Hi again everyone, thanks again for the positive comments, it really is appreciated.

Indeed the service hasn't changed since Ackey's day in the way it operates.

As regards the music, not my choice but I'll have a word!

Finally, if you get in touch with me on twitter today @mikeleylandoafc we will reboot as soon as we hear it's down (if it goes down). Also, I've dug out the comments below from Gordon which still stand true today.

Hope you enjoy the game today.

Cheers

Mike

Hello everyone, it is Gordon here at the club.

If you lose commentary TEXT Roy on 07513 977361...he can then log out and re-connect which will only take 45 seconds and then eveything should be OK.

For away games, TEXT me on 07834 115483...Text me if it is good or bad...just let us know one way or the other...believe me, we do not want to be travelling to Brentford or Orient and no bugger can here us!!

I said I would never publish my mobile number...but needs must!

Thanks for your support...remember Text Roy for home games, Gordon on away games...IE Loud and clear would suffice...or No Commentary would be great if it is not working.

Together we will sort this... I promise....either that or I will sit on Roy and end a 49 year career!!!!

Edited by mikeleylandoafc

I don't mind :censored: music being played, as not everyone will have the same taste. The problem is it's the same :censored: music

As for the coverage, I think Mike is very professional and sounds like a pro. Gordon is good when he isn't fighting the poor technology at away grounds. Roy bleeds blue, and you can tell the passion he has for the club - biased as all hell, but I would be exactly the same in his position. I think all three do a great job and give a unique experience.

My biggest issue is the link to Aus, but that is my problem for moving half way around the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Right, I've got hold of the iPod now so will update it prior to next Saturday's home game against Tranmere.

Any requests? Mouldy Old Dough and the short version of Fanfare for the Common Man will be first on the playlist.

Cheers

Mike

Theme tune from bread ta