Latics 0-1 Walsall: Post match reaction

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear my first game seeing our new look team and from the hype, expected some goals.

I know we should not really be concerned until we ae about 10 matches in but tbh, I am, did not look much of an improvement on last season

Need a central defender ASAP and a midfielder with a bit of bite please

Top 10 finish if we are lucky

Now I need more vino..let kicking the dog season commence

Edited by underdog

Awful today.. as others have said just like watching Dickovs team. Hoof ball and no one to win it.

Tarkowski did well but hes tendency to overplay could be a problem but well played overall today and looked our best chance of a goal which is sad really. Byrne looks way over the hill despite being only 31/32? can barley move and doesn't look match fit

Brown should not be a first choice right back at this level - awful on the ball and often a week link

Smith covered every blade of grass but cant do it on his own - needs someone alongside him

Baxter is not a CM - i don't want to ever see him here again - hes lethal in the last 3rd play him there!!!!

Mcdonald and Rooney AWOL - that strike force will never work if the ball is played in the air constantly. Neither showed any great movement off the ball either

Dayton - poor lacked effort.

Montano not sure why he was taken off - wasn't great but better than Dayton and had a couple of promising situations

SId - some lively touches early on but didn't find anyone with his crosses

Lots for Johnson to think about hes talked the talk but that was dire today. Walsall pressed us quickly and we couldnt handle it - if thats all a team needs to do for our passing game to dissappear this is going to be a long slog of a season. Back to the drawing board

Edited by bluehobbit

Oh dear my first game seeing our new look team and from the hype, expected some goals.

I know we should not really be concerned until we ae about 10 matches in but tbh, I am, did not look much of an improvement on last season

Need a central defender ASAP and a midfielder with a bit of bite please

Top 10 finish if we are lucky

Now I need more vino..let kicking the dog season commence

I'd be delighted with a top ten finish. This is a rebuilding season, we aren't going to get promoted.

Time to stop using Jose in centre mid , surprised LJ has gone down this route

I'm not. Korey Smith is some player so a 4-3-1-2 should work. Baxter looked off the pace today, didn't link with the front two and as such it failed. I'd be very reluctant to return to 4-4-1-1 but with JCH out for a few weeks our options up top suddenly seem limited.

Certainly not the home start that was needed or brings a few more back into fold but crikey FIFA and Football Manager a lot to answer for more managers than we need from the support which at home is appalling. On players backs of young/new players far far too quick. First touch Brown had a bloke near us shouted ":censored: of Brown your cack." fabulous!!!!!!!!!!! Same bloke "Byrne you tart :censored: off back to Scunny." ..... Players start to look scared of making a mistake. Rooney needs service like many before not 8ft hit and hope balls.

This is what has frustrated me. It's not just your run of the mill booing and moaning, it's actual personal abuse. A fella behind me called Byrne a :censored:ing prick. Two games in and it's started already. I'm gonna lose my rag one of these days, it's appalling.

Poor game. Rodgers looked lively when he came on though, definitely merits a start. Baxter is playing far too deep and wasn't in the game today.

This.

Baxter is different gravy and made some great passes. He needs to be in the final third making those passes have an end product.

Tarky well deserved MOTM.

We lost 1-0 and had a stonewall penalty turned down. I don't think they created much more than their goal, maybe one or two other chances but we kept them out pretty well I thought, they didn't look like scoring more than one.

As for us, disappointing performance, Tarky was excellent. Didn't think Brown did much to silence the boo boys, got the ball caught up in his feet too many times and I was surprised we didn't take him off for Rodgers. I've said elsewhere that Byrne isn't the answer and today proved that.

Thought Smeltz was good when he came on but he didn't see too much of the ball. I'd like to see more of Rodgers, he had more impact then Wes but you can't start him.

Not convinced by Rooney or Charlie Mac, shame JCH is out for a month because I think we'll miss him.

Baxter looked disinterested, something else on the mind?

I still think this is a good squad and with nine new players it is going to take a while for them to settle and know each others games.

Edited by blueatheart

Just like there was no need to get carried away over beating a team of cloggers last week, there is also no need to over react to getting beat by a Walsall side that finished much higher than us last season...

This.

Kneejerk. Two weekends in a row.

Certainly not the home start that was needed or brings a few more back into fold but crikey FIFA and Football Manager a lot to answer for more managers than we need from the support which at home is appalling. On players backs of young/new players far far too quick. First touch Brown had a bloke near us shouted ":censored: of Brown your cack." fabulous!!!!!!!!!!! Same bloke "Byrne you tart :censored: off back to Scunny." ..... Players start to look scared of making a mistake. Rooney needs service like many before not 8ft hit and hope balls.

Baxter looked like he didnt want an injury, wonder why? Only adds fuel to fire.

Sly spot on and so is Lee a bit of perspective going to happen. Jonesy is 10000% correct MOANERS ..... beyond reason.

The shirt thing is plain stupid and so unprofessional its unreal.

Question to self is it time to take a break from OWTB as some of the stick neither constructive or fair in first week of season with so many new players.

Their centre backs managed to get to 8 foot balls, Rooney can't get his feet off the ground, he and McDonald looked non league standard today.
The poorest though was Dayton who only looks interested when the ball is at his feet.
*Sorry Dayton had a rethink, the poorest by far was Byrne.
Edited by BP1960

Just like there was no need to get carried away over beating a team of cloggers last week, there is also no need to over react to getting beat by a Walsall side that finished much higher than us last season...

While this is a fair point, it's pretty disappointing to go straight back to the standard 1-0 home defeat we've come to know and love. The crowd was up, possibly on the back of the promise of attractive, attacking football and will now assume nothing has changed, potentially with good reason.

It was awful today - where was the running with the ball? Monty's goal at Stevenage, and the performance last week as a whole, seems another world away. Incidentally, not sure why Monty, in-form in pre-season and awesome last week, was taken off. Bizarre decision.

Also didn't get the pumping the long ball forward from deep, yet when we actually got the ball in a decent wide position, deciding to play tippy-tap stuff which killed the threat.

Frustrating - not because of the defeat, but the manner of it, which was all too familiar.

Edited by JoeP

I get the feeling that some of the 'moaners' may have found this seasons target already - dayton - plenty of groans tutts huffs and puffs in the main paddock.

Also todays ref let their keeper take the piss all match with his timewasting - so frustrating today all round..

Started dire with grounds giving the ball away 30secs in, then brown did it and Mellor booked

Oxley came for a corner got nowhere near it.

I have been one of tarky biggest critics but he was outstanding from beginning to end

Smith was decent and gave everything, Sidney was good for the 1st 10mins he came on, was very impressed by Rodgers in 20mins cameo

Baxter was out of position and the ball by passed him time and again so couldn't influence play. Felt sorry for Rooney and Charlie mac lumping it against their defence

What the hell was Byrne doing off the ball near the end, a miracle wasn't booked. The goal came as Mellor ain't a cb and was caught flat footed on a cross should have cut out but really felt sorry for the lad as he looked well out his comfort zone at the back

Walsall will be a top half side again and a good outfit we rarely troubled but we should of had a stone wall pen 1st half

We move on. Some positives and some be negatives for me but they are things not to difficult to address by getting a defender who conpliments tarky in. Well done tarky long may his form continue

Edited by laticdickovarmy

O4U , 4312 isn't gonna work with 2 out and out wingers, it would leave smith totally outnumbered .

We need to get wes or Rogers in alongside smith, with Jose off Rooney or jch .

Call it 442, 4411 , 4231 , it's all much of a muchness really, it's down to each player doing there job .

I think people just need to calm down here, yes it was poor today, but this is Johnson's second game in charge with his own team, so instead of panicking, why not just give him time?

We go again next week, it looks like Peterborough could be the toughest place to go this season so the team will need the support!

I think people just need to calm down here, yes it was poor today, but this is Johnson's second game in charge with his own team, so instead of panicking, why not just give him time?

We go again next week, it looks like Peterborough could be the toughest place to go this season so the team will need the support!

I'm commenting on what I saw, a lack of desire from some players and a hands in pocket coach on the sidelines.

Edited by BP1960

I'm commenting on what I saw, a lack of desire from some players and a hands in pocket coach on the sidelines.

Not sure if you're being serious - it could be some irony on one of the few unjustified accusations aimed at Dave Penney, but can't really be bothered reading back to find out.

So at the risk of being shot down - I don't know how anyone can judge a player or coach has a lack of desire. Why would anyone have a lack of desire after so much desire was shown last week?

The defeat today was, I'm afraid, down to bad tactics.

Edited by JoeP

I've done some quick research and I cannot find anywhere that it is listed that a coach must have his hands firmly outside of his clothing garments for the full duration of the game?

Which page of the manual is it on?

Walsall played fluid passing football and in midfield and upfront were technically very capable. This, along with two robust centre halves and an unappealing but effective attitude of gamesmanship made them a hard team to impose ourselves on.

We were poor first half but several players upped their game - notably Brown, smith, and McDonald in second half. Schmeltz looked good (even if he is from the Croft school of finishing) and Rogers has a good 15/20 mins after he came on.

We'll face teams a lot poorer than Walsall.

So frustrating when people are making generalistic assessments when they've seen them once or possibly twice in a competitive match.