Latics 3-1 Vale: Post match reaction thread

Cannot believe some people are preferring we should start without Wes for Tranmere....Absolutely Crazy, looks a lot leaner, and did his job well today, for me MOM.

If he's not in the side, who is their to do his job and get the dirty work done?, i think wes allows korey to push forward and do his job much more effectively, giving us a better balance.

If anything, despite the prospect, the way to bring Baxter back into the team would be to swap him a JCH, but onto days performace, i dont think you can.

stick with the same 11, although i want baxter in my team, Johnson got it right today, and im sure he wont change it

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't football manager, the difference that playing Wes over Baxter has on the wingers and the style of play is massive. Baxter in Wes' place leaves gaps in different areas of the pitch and means the opposition get the ball in more advanced areas with more Latics players caught ahead of the ball when we lose possession

Looked stonewall from my view in the RRE. No doubt others had a better view. Unnecessary to give away but I knew the ref was blowing for it as soon as he went down.

I actually went to the toilet as soon as he blew, heard the cheering and just assumed we were 2-1 down. I went straight for a pint and it was only midway through HT a mate told me it was still 1-1.

Lino gave it.

This isn't football manager, the difference that playing Wes over Baxter has on the wingers and the style of play is massive. Baxter in Wes' place leaves gaps in different areas of the pitch and means the opposition get the ball in more advanced areas with more Latics players caught ahead of the ball when we lose possession

You mean in the way we did far too many times in the first half v PV?

For me the team would be:

Oxley

Brown Tarky Grounds Mills

Dayton Smith Montano

Baxter

Rooney JCH.

Agree/ disagree?

Disagree - simply because we are too light in midfield. As I said earlier - playing with two wingers is a luxury in this division - I would have Montano on the bench and swap him and Dayton after 70 minutes.

Through articles written, vids uploaded and inane unfunny banter probably I've contributed a lot to this site over the years.

:censored: it its no longer worth it when one if the top knobs sees fit to constantly have cheap digs.

I could get into a big :censored:ing row about it but :censored: it what's the point.

Ciao guys its mostly been fun but that's me done for good on here.

Now that you have slept on it... probably realise that this is a bit of a knee jerk? Thing is - if you are true to your word then you will not read this post anyway! :thinking2:

Through articles written, vids uploaded and inane unfunny banter probably I've contributed a lot to this site over the years.

:censored: it its no longer worth it when one if the top knobs sees fit to constantly have cheap digs.

I could get into a big :censored:ing row about it but :censored: it what's the point.

Don't go Prozac

Your posts are always top notch , entertaining , and incisive and well written match reports

We need more, not less of this

Nil desperandum.....

Edited by stevesidg

Just seen the goals on FLS.

Montano deserves a lot of credit for the cross for the first. He sometimes risks overplaying but not that time, one touch to control, one touch to cross.

Evidence for why dropping Rooney should be an extreme scenario. He'll always look to be in and around the goalmouth, if the service is there he'll do his job. Last person to do that for us was playing for the opposition yesterday.

Dayton could be an interesting player. If we were going to rely on him to be our main creative threat then he would be seen as frustrating and disappointing, but because we've got so many other threats and creators that the odd moment of magic he produces may be enough to win difficult games. Yesterday's goal shows he undoubtedly has the talent to produce those moments.

Message to Port Vale fans: If you have a smoke bomb don't let it off and throw it in to a crowd. That's a bit silly.

Especially your own crowd.

Was I seeing things or did one of their banners say 'VPFC BURSLEM'? Actually if it didn't say that don't tell me, I'm still laughing at it, don't ruin it.

That was great entertainment. After the lack of leadership last season, it was great to see Wesolowski and Tarkowski acting like captains in all but name - and that's not a slight on Korey Smith, who did brillliantly, it's good to see a few players prepared to do that rather than leaving it to someone else to speak up and take a lead. Great to see Tarky openly laughing at Hughes' attempts to wind him up and keeping him in his pocket until he had to be subbed as well. Oxley got off to a very shaky start, for the first 10 minutes it was like watching a ginger Brad Jones. Was delighted for him when he saved the penalty, and you could see it did his confidence the world of good. Obviously he's got a lot to work on, but that's why he's on loan with us rather than playing in the premier league. Dayton's goal was the icing on the cake - as the bloke behind me said, "that was a Rick Holden goal, that."

We always win when Johnson wears his navy suit. I hope he's put it in the dry-cleaners today to be ready for the Tranmere game.

The same XI should start. No matter how talented a player is, if others prove their worth to the team then they should keep their place.

Why? If Baxter is better than Wesolowski then why would you play Wesolowski regardless of if he played ok?

I'm amazed you didn't see fit to start a new thread to announce your exit.

For a teacher, you're not exactly thick-skinned, are you?