Carl Winchester

Chris Sutherland

David Mellor

Danny Gosset

Jordan Slew

Robbie Simpson

Matt Smith

Dan Taylor

This time last year we had a starting 11 made up of the players in Bold. Whilst the goalkeeepers seem stronger than they do now but the rest of the pitch is definitely stronger for me. M'voto and Byrne (who started the season at right-back) have been replaced by Kusunga and Lanzoni both of whom could be better and faster than the pair of those. Dean Furman and Lee Croft have been replaced by Korey Smith and James Dayton respectively. Smith is, imo, quicker and more skilful than Furman was and I believe he'll make a better captain than Furman did too. James Dayton is evidently faster and more agile than Croft was and has ALREADY scored more goals than Croft did last season :laught30::wink:. Worth noting that Cristian Montano is twice the player he was this time last season. Up front as well, the pacy but injury prone Jordan Slew has been replaced by the younger, pacier, stronger, and the potentially better Jonson Clarke-Harris. As well as this, Adam Rooney has replaced Robbie Simpson in the front two and I don't even need to say why that is a better move.

Strength in depth (except in goal) has been improved indefinitely. It worries me that our second keeper is now Joel Coleman but I'm sure he would do a decent enough job if called upon. From having Connor Brown and Glenn Belezika as our only substitute defenders, we now have Connor Brown, Cliff Byrne, Joseph Mills, Edijs Joksts and Glenn Belezika(once he returns from his loan). In midfield, we know have relatively high strength on the wings and in the centre. Sidney Schmeltz is now first choice back-up rather than Kirk Millar who is still in the mix, along with Albert Rusnak and Carl Winchester. In the centre, Anton Rodgers and a revitalised David Mellor have become back-up replacing Youssouf M'Changama and the older, weaker David Mellor. Then, up front, the experienced Charlie MacDonald has effectively become back-up to Rooney and Clarke-Harris. Regrettably, whilst not having the physical ability of Matt Smith his experience and willingness to run himself into the ground compensates for that.

This year we have a squad (including those out and in on loan) of 29 players (3 goalkeepers, 11 defenders, 11 midfielders and 4 strikers) compared to last season's squad of 26 players. (3 goalkeepers, 8 defenders, 11 midfielders and 4 strikers)..

2013-14

Mark Oxley

Luke Simpson (out on loan)

Joel Coleman

Connor Brown

Jonathon Grounds

James Tarkowski

Cliff Byrne

Matteo Lanzoni

Genseric Kusunga

Glenn Belezika (out on loan)

Joseph Mills (in on loan – 1 month)

Edijs Joksts

Joe Cooper

Jack Truelove

James Wesolowski

Sidney Schmeltz

Korey Smith

Cristian Montano

David Mellor

Carl Winchester

Anton Rodgers

James Dayton

Albert Rusnak (in on loan – 1 month)

Chris Sutherland (out on loan)

Danny Gosset (out on loan)

Adam Rooney

Charlie MacDonald

Jonson Clarke-Harris

Kirk Millar

ALSO, after the first 5 games this season we have 6 points, have scored 8 and conceded 8 compared to last season's tally of 5 points, 4 scored and 6 conceded.

Edited by iamjonesyyoafc

We have a much, much better squad this season, no doubt. For once this season I am not thinking 'we could get relegated' and worrying. This season I am very confident we will stay up and I actually find myself questioning how well we can do this seasons rather than possibly thinking of going down.

One thing is thought that Luke Simpson is our back - up not Coleman and Simpson is a prospect and do well when called upon. Regardless can see a deal for Rachubka being completed and him in an ideal world being our number one!

I'd like to think that this team is better than last season, but on paper I don't there's much between the 'keeper, defenders and midfielders. Up front is the key area that we've strengthened in (even when regarding the hype Robbie Simpson and, to a lesser extent, Jordan Slew) and at the end of last season that was the key thing that I was hoping LJ would do. Losing Baxter is quite a blow but the forward line still looks functional and effective without him.

If LJ moulds this team well then the sky's the limit

We have a much, much better squad this season, no doubt. For once this season I am not thinking 'we could get relegated' and worrying. This season I am very confident we will stay up and I actually find myself questioning how well we can do this seasons rather than possibly thinking of going down.

One thing is thought that Luke Simpson is our back - up not Coleman and Simpson is a prospect and do well when called upon. Regardless can see a deal for Rachubka being completed and him in an ideal world being our number one!

I know he's our second best keeper but he's out on loan atm, so I doubt he'll be able to come on and do a job should Oxley get sent off.

So basically you think Johnson is da man and the other bloke was useless then?

HE DA MAN.

I'd like to think that this team is better than last season, but on paper I don't there's much between the 'keeper, defenders and midfielders. Up front is the key area that we've strengthened in (even when regarding the hype Robbie Simpson and, to a lesser extent, Jordan Slew) and at the end of last season that was the key thing that I was hoping LJ would do. Losing Baxter is quite a blow but the forward line still looks functional and effective without him.

If LJ moulds this team well then the sky's the limit

Definitely pal, looking forward to this season. Do think the defence is better though.

Edited by iamjonesyyoafc

One thing is thought that Luke Simpson is our back - up not Coleman and Simpson is a prospect and do well when called upon. Regardless can see a deal for Rachubka being completed and him in an ideal world , being our number one!

Coleman looks a good prospect, big and brave when I saw him, it will be interesting to see how he develops.

Coleman looks a good prospect, big and brave when I saw him, it will be interesting to see how he develops.

Not sure what he's like as a 'Keeper at all so can't comment, but - if he is indeed the age he's said to be - Looks wise, bloody heck - he must have had a tough paperound!!!!!!

I think we're getting carried away.

The signs are promising. I like a lot of what I'm seeing.

The point count of 6 from 15 suggests we'll end up in the mid-fifties. So little difference to last season.

this.

On paper it is stronger, time will tell.

No problem with the original analysis, we just cannot conclude at the moment.

Edited by singe

The point count of 6 from 15 suggests we'll end up in the mid-fifties. So little difference to last season.

Difference being O4U, is that this side has goals in abundance hidden somewhere and once we gel and start to gain a good understanding going forward, that points tally should increase as should the goals.

I also think that with the signings of Lanzoni and Musunga (although we have have seen only one performance between them both), our defence looks to be streets ahead of last years and M'voto will all of a sudden, not feel like a loss at all. Especially in LJ's new brand of football, where he'd have been utterly useless as he was gash with the ball at his feet.

At the risk of getting ahead of myself...I genuinely believe this side SHOULD be challenging for a playoff spot. LJ has done a sterling job putting together a squad of such talent on a limited budget.

If we carry on at our current rate then yes however as we have squad this season. This team has the potential to get stronger as the season progresses. Not saying its going to rip the division apart but their is the potential for it to get better as we go on.

Early days of course, but 3 blanks in 4 home games and best striker sold doesn't suggest we have an abundance of goals in us as many are suggesting.

Also slightly concerning that Johnson is suggesting that players who have been here all summer are not up to speed fitness wise.

Although I think LJ should aim for the playoffs, and I'm sure he is, if we do finish mid table and we can keep them together with a couple of quality additions we should have high expectations for next season.

I don't believe in aggregating points totals at this stage of the season because it is nigh on impossible.

There are so many variables that the fans have no idea how the season will eventually pan-out.

The team could fail to gel and flounder in the bottom-half or it could gel quite effectively and climb the table rapidly, with a string of good results.
The main thrust is, that the team appears to be more capable of achievement than last season, the football is certainly more attractive and entertaining..Latics should have beaten Tranmere and, ultimately, a bad decision cost a point. As they say, it's what you do next that counts.