North Stand update

I seem to remember we were given a big screen by a premier league club. It was around the time the plans for the ground redevelopment came about and they decided not to bother installing it in favour of having a big projector type screen as part of the new plans.

Not sure what happened to it.

Were we offered a used screen from Arsenal? Think we'd have needed transport / installation payments - iirc (which I probably don't) there was talk of £30k needed to install it?

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I want the use of Kylie Minogue on Tuesday lunchtimes but it ain't gonna happen.

Actually it did last week and it was great. She was everything you'd imagine. Those guards at Madame Tussauds need to get a sense of humour though

Wouldn't bother, it's like tossing a Woodbine down Northumberland Street.

• 2 weeks later...

the old uncovered rochdale rd end.

The fans of today don't know they are born, when I was a lad standing in the rain with the wind chilling you to the bone .....

1971/72 At home versus Aston Villa Division 3 Lost 0-6. It took a week to dry out my fishtail parka.

The lads on photo worked for Bloors (Director) at Hollins cost the club nothing as donated time by Mr Bloor Snr. Houses at time cost about £1700 Garden Suburbs to £2400 for a new bungalow or semi 3 bed Accrington Brick house ie Colville Road/Prestbury Drive opposite ground. In Oldham the average was about £2700 nationally. Terraced houses selling for £850 to £1000. Rent on a typical terraced house was £2 - 2 shillings (220p) a week. A typical rent rise was 6 shillings / 30p a year in three stages. Several of the players in 61 worked summer holidays as hod carriers and plumbers mates. Think it was on Garden Suburbs North Gate if memory serves. Several players later rented the houses they helped build.

Mr Bloors son my uncle raced in Formula 2 and bought a new Cooper for £1800 his fuel for European Season cost 13 Guineas with Shell 12 month contract.

Makes you cringe re modern prices.

In 1961 the maximum wage for footballers was £20 per week, in line with the national average salary of £1,000pa, until Johnny Haynes of Fulham was given £100 per week.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...