What was your first ever Latics defect

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that was about the time my dad started going Brizzle (he was born in 1943). The old bugger. I've got a year on him! Or is it the other way round?

My grandad had played for Latics reserves a few times and was a professional with both us and Accrington Stanley, so started to take my old man in the late 40's / early 50's.

Its their fault! I've always blamed my Dad for starting this love affair that has lasted so long, and will do so until I am no longer able to carry on.

Edited by Bristolatic

My first ever game, at home to Blackburn, 1st of October 1977 and a 0-2 loss.

Virtually no recollection of the match itself but I can remember, as a callow teenager, being intrigued at the commotion when the gates opened 10 minutes before full time and following, as a horde of young Latics charged out of the Chaddy and into the carpark to do battle with their East Lancashire counterparts, equally resplendant in their own denin jackets, silk wrist scarves and bell-bottoms.

My first away game was at Ewood Park the same season and we lost 4-2. Memorable also for the antagonism between the Latics fans in the right side of the Darwin End and the Rovers fans in (what I think was called) the Riverside stand and who kept spilling onto the pitch. Although I never did embrace thuggery, it was a damned intoxicating introduction to 'the terraces'.

Edited by piglinbland

I genuinely never realised this but I think the answer is... Oldham Athletic 0 Nottingham Forest 1 - Wembley Stadium 1990

Thinking about it, same here. I'd been to a few games before where we hadn't done well but I cannot remember us losing and think they were only draws.

charlton athletic at home 1974 lost 2-1 massive comedown after securing promotion the saturday before with a 6-0 hammering of huddersfield my first and only time in the then ford stand upper

That hammering of huddersfield was my first ever Latics game .. Was also my last for 10 years .. And then .. Tail end of 84/5 season ... No idea what my first defeat was but stood in the freezing rain v west brom in the simod/zenith data :censored:ty cup and getting caned 0-3 is one that sticks out in memory

Latics 1-3 Sheff Weds in the League Cup. I'm pretty sure this was also my first game. I went a few times that year, though it took until Boxing Day for that first win (against Wigan) and the start of my Latics obsession.

I seem to recall Gilles de Bilde clattering into a gate in the Chaddy End, possibly doing himself a mischief in the process. Can anyone confirm?

The following season 2001/02 was then my first as a season ticket holder. We seemed to score three or four with alarming regularity and were the division's top scorers. That and the year after are the most enjoyable I've seen so far!

Think it was OAFC 0-2 Bradford, first home game of the 87/88 season, and my first time in the Chaddy. My uncle Ian contracted food poisoning off a pie (so he said), and hasn't been back since.

Is your Uncle Ian renowned for his excellent timing?

Latics 1-3 Sheff Weds in the League Cup. I'm pretty sure this was also my first game. I went a few times that year, though it took until Boxing Day for that first win (against Wigan) and the start of my Latics obsession.

I seem to recall Gilles de Bilde clattering into a gate in the Chaddy End, possibly doing himself a mischief in the process. Can anyone confirm?

The following season 2001/02 was then my first as a season ticket holder. We seemed to score three or four with alarming regularity and were the division's top scorers. That and the year after are the most enjoyable I've seen so far!

who has to be the subject of the second finest children's cartoon related footy chant ever - Gilles de Bilde can he fix it !

The first being Philippe, Philppe Albert, everyone knows his name...

Opening game 96-97 Stoke at home, lost 2-1. No idea who played scored, I just remember hating Stoke and predicting we would lose 2-1 everytime we played them. Its slightly frustrating that my first season as a Tic was the relegation season and Ive since had 17/18 seasons of exactly the same league. Why the :censored: did I not support a yoyo club like Crewe/West brom.

The first defeat I can remember is a home loss to Torquay, I remember watching some of it from the elevated bit next to the chaddy whilst queuing for a pie, it was in 2005 and we lost 2-1 I think.

It can't be the first defeat I ever saw because I can remember an away game I went to in 2003 but I really can't remember any defeats earlier than that game in 2005.

Latics 1 Derby County 4 24/1/1987

Derby top, Latics second - we got battered! We slipped to third for the first time that season. Portsmouth moved above us and the top three stayed like that for the rest of the season. First year of the Play Offs, the year before and for ages before that we would have gone straight up. Typical Latics!

Edited by oafcprozac

That was fooking dour. Bank holiday Monday IIRC? Beckford scored the winner?

Lost 2-0 on the Bank Holiday pal - Beckford brace. It was the following November we lost 1-0. Beckford back header, Nicky Cross forced it over the line - our first league defeat since losing to Portsmouth days before the Littlewoods Cup Final - 7 months before and 20 games.

Colchester at home, think it was Boxing Day 1998.

Bit earlier than Boxing Day we lost 2-1 at home on a Sunday in mid-November 1999 (It was moved to Sunday as England had their first leg Play off at Hampden Park the day before to decide who would go to Euro 2000) Craig Dudley scored our goal