12th or 20th?

I think we can pretty much agree we're not going up this season. So would you rather finish 12th- playing penny/Dickov type football, or 20th playing (wolves aside) Johnson's type football?

For me as long as we don't go down, I'm relativly unfussed about results. I just want some entertainment. Really don't want Johnson to go in his shell, because results aren't great.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 34 games left and we're just 11 points off the playoffs

There are 34 games left and we are 2 points above the drop zone, and 2 teams below us have miles bigger budgets and will no doubt fight their way out. Thankfully Crewe are certs for the drop who are above us, so 20th it is

Whilst I doubt we will go up, you cannot say never.

There is often a team that gets its stuff together, but is a poor position at this stage.

I am sure Yeovil were saying the same, when they were a bit wayward about this time.

After 12 games they had 2 more points than us, and had just lost 6 on the trot.

I would put money at that stage there were calls for Johnson's (Sr) head.

It was more a question of style of play. I think it's slightly worrying the mindset we took to wolves. We've seen against vale, Stevenage, PNE, Shrewsbury, we can get at teams. Previous managers adopted a don't lose mentality, I hope LJ is brave enough to try an keep being positive.

Please don't take us back to the insipid, negative :censored:e of recent past.

"So would you rather finish 12th- playing penny/Dickov type football, or 20th playing (wolves aside) Johnson's type football?"

At this stage of Dickov's latics career, weren't we playing attacking vibrant football (according to fans)? The Exeter 3-3 game was about this time of his first year.

I've not seen a win this season yet. (I'm missing this saturday too) so my judgement is skewed somewhat.

Everyone will point to the Preston game as a high mark of our performance, I was not impressed at the time - and watched it back this week (before deleting it on sky +) and still wasn't impressed. Loads of passing without creating chances.

The orient game, where we created chances, made the keeper pull off saves rather than just pressure was the best performance I have seen this season and I was disapointed not to win that. That's what I want to see more of.

It was more a question of style of play. I think it's slightly worrying the mindset we took to wolves. We've seen against vale, Stevenage, PNE, Shrewsbury, we can get at teams. Previous managers adopted a don't lose mentality, I hope LJ is brave enough to try an keep being positive.

Please don't take us back to the insipid, negative :censored:e of recent past.

I agree, but from what I've seen/heard this season those negative tactics at Wolves were a one-off, there was a good case for playing defensive in that match too.

If we play that way in the next 3 games then we'll have genuine cause for concern.

"I agree, but from what I've seen/heard this season those negative tactics at Wolves were a one-off, there was a good case for playing defensive in that match too.

If we play that way in the next 3 games then we'll have genuine cause for concern"

Would it more of a concern if we lose all 3 and "have a go" or get 4 points from the next 3 by being more conservative?

You've got less chance of scoring goals and bagging points by not having a go, it's simple.

It's concerning that the plan was "working" on Tuesday night when we had one shot on target in 45 minutes, albeit Montano should have stuck is header away.

I know that's a glib quick slight at Johnson's tactical thinking for the Wolves game but...

If you don't have many shots or show ambition to get forward, you relying on converting one out of three or four chances (rather than eight or nine) while one mistake can be extremely costly (Oxley dealing with a fiercely-struck cross in wet conditions) and decide the result of the match.

League One footballers will make mistakes, particularly at clubs with a lower budget.

So you are surely more likely to get results by having a go!

I'm usually a staunch advocate of different systems. Much like England in recent times (until the last two games), 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 has been far too static, predictable and easy to counter - and it was like this all the time under Dickov. It took Dickov to basically be told he was losing his job (on the morning of the Liverpool game) to have a go with a 4-3-1-2 with Baxter behind Smith and Simpson - and it worked, bringing some height and physicality to a lightweight squad, and giving Baxter more space to roam in behind two, instead of one, forwards. Then he got a lifeline and went straight back to 4-4-2!

But under LJ, I've liked the fluidity and pace he's applied to 4-4-2, and it's actually worked as a pressing system - particularly with Dayton drifting inside etc

What was so ominous on Tuesday was that we just suddenly decided not to press. I admire LJ for having the balls to go for a 4-6-0, but I hope it was just a one-off.

Football can be over-complicated - to me, not pressing, no strikers, just transmitted negativity to the players. Bar a couple of top performances - Smith, Winchester, Wes - they just didn't look like they believed in their capability of being able to win the game. They worked hard to win the ball, knocked it about, and by the time the wingers got forward, Wolves were regrouped and in position. So the counter-attack was rarely an option, and the quick ball to a target man - high or low - wasn't an option. So how do we score... ?!! The players briefly sprung to life when we went 4-4-2 (to me that just says we were resigned to only trying to get something out of the game in 50 minutes, or once we were losing?!), but then 5 minutes later the second goal went in! Game over. Belief totally over. So to say the final stages were an indication that 4-4-2 wouldn't have worked from minute one is wrong in my opinion. Moreover, we don't know, but at least we'd have been approaching the game positively.

cf. Blackpool's promotion season.

They won 23 of their remaining 36 games.

After 20 games they had 28 points.

To be matching them by that stage we would need a minimum of 5 wins and 2 draws from our next 8 games. Not really likely is it?

Edited by PlayItLivo

They won 23 of their remaining 36 games.

After 20 games they had 28 points.

To be matching them by that stage we would need a minimum of 5 wins and 2 draws from our next 8 games. Not really likely is it?

why the #%^* not??? lets go for it ey;) we can dream

League One footballers will make mistakes, particularly at clubs with a lower budget.

Not a pop at you, it was a good post but talking this way about football is really starting to make both my teeth & soul itch. At the same time.

Mods, can we ban the word "budget"? I don't pay to watch a budget.