Oldham 1-1 Wolves

Hang on a minute, haven't we conceded first in almost all our matches so far?

Carlisle, Port Vale, Swindon and today. We have invited far too many teams back into games, the only reason Carlisle didn't get an equaliser against us is because they are piss poor. Wolves missed at least 3 good chances in that first half, we deserved to be losing at half-time. Overall a draw was fair, though.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be doing something right, then. Those games you mentioned have yielded 9 League points and got us in the hat for the next round of the Cup...

Not my point, we have rode our luck in them games. Vale missed a pen, Carlisle were just poor, Wolves missed multiple great opportunities and Swindon passed it well but didn't create much.

Not my point, we have rode our luck in them games. Vale missed a pen, Carlisle were just poor, Wolves missed multiple great opportunities and Swindon passed it well but didn't create much.

I'm confused : I've been reading all season how we have had no luck and everything has been going against us. Now I'm reading we've been riding our luck...

Edited by Lee Sinnott

I'm confused : I've been reading all season how we have had no luck and everything has been going against us. Now I'm reading we've been riding our luck...

I'm not disputing that, we can't ride our luck every game. Our away form is woeful and if we keep letting teams back in the game at home we will be in trouble.

Scored 1st against Orient too. Plus the 2 JPT games, PNE and Shrewsbury. So if we score first and the opposition still get a result seems to be a sign of decent opposition. It also is perhaps a sign of how good a possession side we are.

We have showed character to come back in games, my point is we should be trying to make the game safe rather than handing to the opposition on a plate. We cannot come back in every game, it shouldn't take an equaliser to make us spark. Our home form is vital this year as our away is shocking.

We have showed character to come back in games, my point is we should be trying to make the game safe rather than handing to the opposition on a plate. We cannot come back in every game, it shouldn't take an equaliser to make us spark. Our home form is vital this year as our away is shocking.

Our home form is vital because we are a football side. Sides that don't win enough at home struggle.

We've been beaten by the teams in 2nd to 4th, 9th, 13th and 24th. Wolves, Posh and PNE will win a lot of games at home this season. But because we've lost 7, 3 of which most teams will lose anyway, plus I can see Rotherham beating a few teams at their place too this season; our away form is shocking #logicalfallacy. Especially as we beat one of those away too this season.

Edited by rudemedic

i dont think football works like that. teams dont win every game they take the lead in and you dont lose every game you concede first in [although it is obviously harder to win being a goal down]. as you say, we've come back in games when we've been down before. theres no sure fire way of holding a lead, you can push forward and get hit on the break or sit in and invite pressure

the consensus on here is that we played much better second half but they missed two absolute sitters in the second half, the far post header from the corner and that low far post cross that was smashed high into the RRE. so we pushed forward and played better second half but could have conceded two

i think the points are valid but theyre very 'perfect world' and, as we all know, supporting latics is far from perfect world

Agreed. However to sit back after 5 minutes is a bit much is it not?

I don't think we sat back intentionally. They pushed us back. They were a bit slow to get going, but once they did in the first half they made it hard work for us. They are physically a much bigger team and they made that difference tell in the first half and we were struggling to keep hold of the ball at times. In the second half though, they seemed to tire and we finished the game much stronger.

I think that if a team has problems as we did in the first half but come out and correct that in the second 45, it might have a lot to do with the input of the manager and to say we 'sat back' is too simplistic, they were a very good team, comfortable in possession. In fact I think that they were the best team I have seen this season and will win the League BUT we could and perhaps should have beaten them, Onwards and Upwards! If only Wes would look to pass forwards at times.

BP slowly becoming a fortress again? Not lost at home since end of August!

5 games unbeaten at home is a big positive. Win your home games and draw your away games and you're looking good. Maybe our style of play suits playing travelling teams.

Edited by Mullet

We are not far off a good team.

At the moment we are a collection of players who aren't gelling and firing as a team, we are a collection of players that are trying to keep their place in a side and show that they can replicate the form they show on the training pitch on the game pitch.

Definite starters for me:

Tarky

Grounds

Kasunga

Wes

Smith

Dayton

Philiskirk

The rest we are lucky to have options for but this is part of the issue, we can't get our team firing week in week out but we never were this season. This is a season where we get glimpses of what this team can do but we don't see the finished product. It is going to be enjoyable but frustrating. Next season is where this season will pay off.

Did anyone else see how many poncy training ground between the leg flicks this lower half third division team did today? Against a team second in the table JCH for one sold about 4 dummies as he did Brazilianesque moves and emerged with the ball. Other players did the same, knocking the ball between their legs in a disguised fashion that led to one of our players receiving the ball in space.

I sat in the main stand upper for the first time in a while, the most noise that stand made was when our young homegrown centreback got caught in possession, twice. Think about that for a minute, our player who should really be uncomfortable on the ball is so comfortable on the ball that he has the cojones to trick more skillful players. This gets moaned at when it doesn't come off. This came off about 50-50 of the times it did come off yet it felt like the main stand upper regulars had waited for this moment to vent their spleen.

Our early goal had denied them the opportunity to do this for the first part of the game, they had to wait for the Wolves equaliser to get the bile off their chests. Wolves left BP today knowing they had done well not to be out of the cup, they get a second bite at us at their place and that is one they will be grateful for. We should have won today, as per many games this season, if we carry that on for the rest of this season and into next season we will either be booking hotels near Wembley or having a look in the Rothman's for decent parking spots in the Championship.

Finally, Oxley kept us in this tie with his save midway through the second half. That was Noah conditions, he more than coped.

Good post BT

With regards to tarky a runs from the back I think it's something we should encourage. He will lose the ball from time to time and it could even cost us the odd goal but having your defenders being able to bring the ball out from the back means you can play higher up the pitch. It means that the midfield doesn't have to drop to receive the ball we want our players to play with positive intent and we want to see us attacking them tarky bringing the ball out will start attacks and will lead to goals 99% of defenders at this level can't do that let's appreciate the fact we've got the one who can.

Agreed. However to sit back after 5 minutes is a bit much is it not?

I don't think we did sit back.

I am certainly no tactician but this is how I saw the first half in simple terms: We got off to a great start (much longer than five minutes) moving the ball about around them and through them. Wolves then had the audacity (probably instructions from the bench) to nullify this. They decided to relieve us of the ball. They did this by playing 'pass the parcel' across their back line and defensive midfield and they did it very well. That quieted things down so they then started to introduce some very telling balls through our midfield. Hey presto, we were on the back foot.

Football - that's what it's all about - thrust and parry, counter thrust and counter parry. I love it!

Wolves have better players than us and I don't think we can have many complaints about our own performance or how we approached the game. I think it's a tough ask to win the replay.

Dayton had his best game so far for us yesterday - actually played like a winger for a change and took his man on.

Thought it was a decent turn-out by our fans - was expecting around the same numbers as attended the Doncaster game last year.

Was talking to some of the Wolverhampton media before the game. I asked one of the men from their club Press team about their finances. At the beginning of this season they got a parachute payment of £16milion. At the beginning of next they receive a further £8million.

That's before, of course, the money from very good gates, merchandising etc.

I'm far from complacent, and we do need improving in areas of the team, but given our resources that wasn't half bad yesterday , not just in terms of technique and commitment but also in self belief. We're building a future that we can be reasonably optimistic about.