What are your Latics moments you'll never forget?

1. Smith's equaliser against Everton

2. MacDonald's goal against Everton (Can we play Everton more often?!)

3. Simpson's goal at Anfield - was tough choice between his & Warbara's, Simpsons won because it silenced a stunned Anfield after we battered them for the 30 minutes!

4. Furman's v Notts County - One of the best goals I've witnessed at BP!

5. Vernon v City - Again, couldn't believe we was beating a prem team...

Most of them recent due to not being born in the glory years and not really remembering most games until 2006 onwards...

How weird is this I would have picked the same as above, I live in Northern Ireland and was present at each of the games stated.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember the blizzard after the F.A. tie we lost at Chesterfield in 1971... as I recollect it was afternoon kick off - and I didn't get home while 2am.

To make it worse a former school class mate of mine scored 2 goals for Chesterfield.

Talking of Chesterfield I was at the great 4-4 drew there in the F.A. Cup in 1960, unfortunately the replay at BP was on a Tuesday afternoon and I couldn't get time off work (we lost the match anyway).

Edited by BP1960

So I'll go for my top five, bearing in mind these are split second moments in time.

5. Smith v Sheffield United (2012) - I'm not sure why, but I felt such unbridled joy when he bundled that late goal in that it has to make my top five.

4. McDonald v Everton (2008) - We were 1-0 up at Goodison! (and if I recall correctly we looked good for it)

3. Simpson v Liverpool (2012) - We were 1-0 up at Anfield!

2. Matt O'Halloran v Rushden (2003) - 90th minute winner. We'd been through the wringer but here were our first three points, Oldham were back in business!

1. Smith v Everton (2013) - Last minute equaliser. I lost my mind, pure unadulterated euphoria.

Oddly last season's Liverpool game doesn't make my top five, but that I think is down to the slow burning nature of it. Even the first half goals were tinged with a feeling that Liverpool were going to hit their stride before long. Only after Wabara's goal did I think maybe, just maybe, we could hold on.

Worst moments:

1. Hughes, less said about that the better.

2. QPR play offs, ditto

3. Tranmere at home. Royle's return. I stood watching big joe on the touchline at 2-0 down. I can honestly say that was the closest to crying I've come at a game since I was 10 at Wembley.

4. Rotherham away under Ritchie.

5. West Ham at home after the FA Semi. I knew that was it.

1990 Final as a ten year old was mindblowing (apart from we lost).

Adams Goal in '93 V Man U

Beckford V Bolton in the Quarter Final
Rick Holden's 3rd against Southampton away in '94 - Everything seemed so good

Gary Mac V Everton

Smith's 2nd V Liverpool, I thought we had our chance

Smith's equaliizer against Everton was a bit surreal, I watched it on TV as my I my lad was only a few months old and we were making daily trips to see the mother in law in hospital. I was on my own downstairs trying to keep the noise down as my wife had but him to bed and after we'd scored, inside I went mental yet I was trying to stop myself from making 'much' noise. I ran about the house a bit, set the dog off and ended up shouting ':censored:'!!!!

"Oddly last season's Liverpool game doesn't make my top five, but that I think is down to the slow burning nature of it. Even the first half goals were tinged with a feeling that Liverpool were going to hit their stride before long. Only after Wabara's goal did I think maybe, just maybe, we could hold on."

It is weird what things mean to different people. Smith vs Everton would only be fifth best moment of 2012/13.

Southport away, Easter (think it was1974?). First time I remember thinking WOW! at the size of a Latics away following. We'd taken big numbers away all season but 7/8 of the crowd were from Oldham that day.

Formby away (FAC) around similar time and the charge across the pitch at half time.

Julian Dicks hitting the crossbar in the semi, 2nd leg. We were 3-0 down with 25 minutes left with a 6-0 first leg lead and I reckon we'd have capitulated if Dicks's effort had gone in

Four days in London for the LC Final 1990

Final whistle at Ipswich 1991

Blagging a day off work sick so I could go to Nottingham Forest's City Ground to watch our 3rd Round, 2nd replay against Cambridge United, which we won. January 1973, IIRC? We'd drawn at their place, drawn at BP and, in the process of getting to the 4th Round, became the first clubs in the top 4 divisions of the Football League to play a competitive game on a Sunday. Burnley thumped us 4-1 in the 4th Round.

being only in my early twenties I cant include any of the premiership ones so.....

5. stockport away 02/03? was my first away game ever and to see eyresy curl in that last minute free kcik to win it was madness.shame what happened in the play offs.

4. Bury away last season, just at the point where I though we'd :censored:ed it up and were going to go home with only a point matt smith pops up at the back post and scores a late winner.

3.robbie simpson at anfield.....omg were beating Liverpool.

2. Matt smith header against everton, no explanation needed.

1. Liverpool at home, one of the best days of my life., all the years of watching us struggle in a :censored: division, getting tonked 5-1 at Hereford etc, losing all our best players for nothing a part and parcel of being a latics fan, but the day made it all worth it. Still get goosebumps when I see them highlights.

Edited by 4froale

Maurice Whittle's penalty v Man Utd: The greatest moment of my life at that point - I was 11.

Neil Redfearn's penalty v Sheffield Wednesday: Surely the best Latics' moment ever?

Joe Royle leading the team out at Wembley: Never, ever, thought I'd see the day.

Andy Ritchie's goal at Southampton: I switched off the radio after Southampton scored their second late on but decided to watch the highlights anyway. I must have woken up the whole of Kendal when that goal went in!

Matt Smith's equaliser v Everton: Watching on TV from 6,000 miles away with my mum and dad. It felt like I was 11 again!

Blagging a day off work sick so I could go to Nottingham Forest's City Ground to watch our 3rd Round, 2nd replay against Cambridge United, which we won. January 1973, IIRC? We'd drawn at their place, drawn at BP and, in the process of getting to the 4th Round, became the first clubs in the top 4 divisions of the Football League to play a competitive game on a Sunday. Burnley thumped us 4-1 in the 4th Round.

That mud heap of a pitch..I remember it well.

When my dad got me tickets for the Leeds and Everton games for Christmas 2007. I remember thinking my brother had got a much better present, but the combination of those two games with screamers from Hazell and MacDonald was better than any PS2 game.

Robbie Simpson at Anfield. 6000 Latics fans going mental opposite the Kop. I was 4 rows up right behind the shot and I just saw Reina diving and for some reason Robbie Simpson was sprinting over to the Latics end.

Someone mentioned when Gerrard hit the bar this year, which was the moment where I thought we'd just about do it. That game will be hard to beat for me.

Matt Smith vs Everton. I'd given up after Simpson hit the side netting, but the RRE went mental. Easily the most I've celebrated a goal. It came after a half of Latics singing the Great Escape too.

Sitting in the Forest main stand last year doing everything I could not to jump about and listening to angry home fans shouting ':censored: off McLeish, we're getting beat off an average League One side here!'. Similarly at Scunthorpe when MacDonald got that late equaliser, we were sat in the home end right in front of where Taylor got two of their men sent off (including Cliff Byrne I think). When that goal went in I genuinely thought we'd be getting trouble from the locals.

"Oddly last season's Liverpool game doesn't make my top five, but that I think is down to the slow burning nature of it. Even the first half goals were tinged with a feeling that Liverpool were going to hit their stride before long. Only after Wabara's goal did I think maybe, just maybe, we could hold on."

It is weird what things mean to different people. Smith vs Everton would only be fifth best moment of 2012/13.

It is weird, but I tried to make my list the top five 'moments', that is the feeling they gave in that split second. As for best 90 minutes Liverpool can't be touched for me (missed out on the '90s thanks to the inconvenience of being a burping farting child for the majority) but that equaliser against Everton just reignited my belief at the absolute last possible second, having resigned myself to defeat.

10. Clydes peno at Derby, singing weve got loads of money at them before finding out we were actually skint.

9. Chris Hall at Wolves, bounce

8. Destroying Forest at home, big club, loads of money, Andy Liddell and Chris Porter tore them to shreds that day.

7. Scott Vernons goal vs City and the continuous check of the clock 'were another 5 minutes gone and weve still not conceded'

6. JJ at home to Grimsby, Lee Sinnott refusing to stand up cos 'the useless bastard cant shoot straight, whys everyone getting excted?' Booom goal

5. First 30 minutes of Bradford away Wellens on 1 leg single handedly tearing them a new one.

4. Craig Davies goal at Tranmere, not scored in 5, battered them and bagged on 95 for a 1-0 win. Fantastic night that!

3. Gaz Mac at Everton, bounce

2. Steven Gerrard hitting the bar, from that moment luck was well and truly with us and I was sure we would hold on. The final whistle was unbelievable, I still get goosebumps thinking about how good that feeling was that we had beaten one of the biggest and successful clubs in the world.

1. Matt Smiths equaliser will stay with me forever. The whole second half, great escape, even when we went 2-1 down we were unbelievably loud. The best 45 minutes after the game singing ole ole. You cant beat those feelings.

When my dad got me tickets for the Leeds and Everton games for Christmas 2007. I remember thinking my brother had got a much better present, but the combination of those two games with screamers from Hazell and MacDonald was better than any PS2 game.

Robbie Simpson at Anfield. 6000 Latics fans going mental opposite the Kop. I was 4 rows up right behind the shot and I just saw Reina diving and for some reason Robbie Simpson was sprinting over to the Latics end.

Someone mentioned when Gerrard hit the bar this year, which was the moment where I thought we'd just about do it. That game will be hard to beat for me.

Matt Smith vs Everton. I'd given up after Simpson hit the side netting, but the RRE went mental. Easily the most I've celebrated a goal. It came after a half of Latics singing the Great Escape too.

Sitting in the Forest main stand last year doing everything I could not to jump about and listening to angry home fans shouting ':censored: off McLeish, we're getting beat off an average League One side here!'. Similarly at Scunthorpe when MacDonald got that late equaliser, we were sat in the home end right in front of where Taylor got two of their men sent off (including Cliff Byrne I think). When that goal went in I genuinely thought we'd be getting trouble from the locals.

Were Oldham, people dont :censored: with Oldham

The longer the journey the more highlights and places that were brilliant to have visited.

And it's hard to put the right context around events. What had a massive impact as an 11 year old would be different than something many years later. It's a cop out to say I could list lots as the OP asked for a specific five.

So, after sleeping on it, here goes , my best five since 1960.

1. The final whistle against Southampton in 1993. We weren't a one season wonder and the relief and excitement was spectacular

2. Scenes at the end of the Ipswich match on 27 April 1991. We were in the top flight , my son had been born two days before, and the emotion of going up and being a father made it a unique day

3. Wembley Way 1990, seeing the masses of blue and white taking over the famous road , made me feel so proud, we wre at Wembley for the first time ever.

4. The teams coming out against Liverpool in the Cup. In 1962 that is. This was the biggest game of my then young life, The excitement had been building for weeks, and the two teams were about to begin in front of the biggest crowd at Boundary Park since WWII. For me the atmosphere of 42000 people has never left.

5. Neil Redfern slotting home that penalty

Nuff said

Smith's equaliser v Everton. Taking 5 seconds or so to make sure the goal had definitely been given before going mental. Not really believing it had actually happened until watching it on ITV+1 in the White Hart.

Remembering a couple of hours after the Liverpool game that my cousin had told me that it'd be Liverpool's easiest game of the season.

Baxter's free kick at Forest. Never been more certain that we were going to score. Capped off a seven-minute spell where we went from playing some of the worst football i've ever seen to playing like Barcelona.

Nearly suffocating with the effort of not celebrating Gary Macdonald's goal in the Gwladys st end. Then elbowing the gobby little prick sat next to me in the bollocks at half-time.

Beating Ronnie Moore's Tranmere to go top of the league, followed by the theme tune from Steptoe and Son. Politely declining an invitation to go out drinking in Liverpool with a load of Tranmere fans on the train home, mainly because one of them had been sick everywhere then spent half an hour calling me a ':censored:ing dyke' and ranting about how he hoped we went bust and they built a Tesco on our ground.

One memory has just flashed into my head. In the days when Ken Bates bankrolled a new team, blue and and tangerine kit and the Boundary Bulletin I went to watch Latics at Middlesborough with my dad and our keeper David Best was unbelievable. One of those days when you were able to relax in your seat in the full knowledge that he'd stop anything. We were sat in the main stand and the home supporters kept turning round asking who he was.

A bit further back in the Bobby Johnstone era we played top of the league Mansfield at home and won 2-1 with two great goals - the first a volley on the turn from Bert Lister and the winner, a thirty yard piledriver into the top corner from Peter McCall.

Bringing it up to date, the first match of the season and that wonderful length of the pitch match winner from Montano.

One memory has just flashed into my head. In the days when Ken Bates bankrolled a new team, blue and and tangerine kit and the Boundary Bulletin I went to watch Latics at Middlesborough with my dad and our keeper David Best was unbelievable. One of those days when you were able to relax in your seat in the full knowledge that he'd stop anything. We were sat in the main stand and the home supporters kept turning round asking who he was.

A bit further back in the Bobby Johnstone era we played top of the league Mansfield at home and won 2-1 with two great goals - the first a volley on the turn from Bert Lister and the winner, a thirty yard piledriver into the top corner from Peter McCall.

Bringing it up to date, the first match of the season and that wonderful length of the pitch match winner from Montano.

Screaming at him to pass to Dayton, "he's took it too wide and on his weaker foot, what an absolute....DDDIIICCC.......GGGGGGGGOOOOAAAAALLLL"

5. First 30 minutes of Bradford away Wellens on 1 leg single handedly tearing them a new one.

Glad someone's mentioned that, up there with the best individual performances I've seen from a Latics player. Says even more that he went off after 35 minutes because he'd been injured for ten minutes!

mentioned bests performance at middlesborough in sept 1966,a few wks ago.i will repeat,no latics g/k has bettered that performance since.

Absolutely true it was so good it made me laugh.

Screaming at him to pass to Dayton, "he's took it too wide and on his weaker foot, what an absolute....DDDIIICCC.......GGGGGGGGOOOOAAAAALLLL"

Have to agree. I think we all thought that he'd messed up and then what a calm finish.