Latics 1-1 Mansfield post match discussion

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with first post. Have to mention that we missed Wes a lot. I also think that with Wes in the team and JCH ahead of Roons to start this game we would have won, nothing against Roons just this looked like a defence JCH should have starte against.

A couple of negatives are Schmeltz is getting worse with every game, no idea how he's getting any game time from the start, impact at best.

And also Plummer didn't look very good again today, may just be nerves again as first bit of action but for me he's no real improvement on Mellor there, maybe just de-mote him to back - up.

Like a previous post I believe we go there with the right mentality we'll definitely win, they were even worse than us today. Hoping for a big draw tomorrow!

The referee wanted to be the star of the show, why do they have to be so picky? As said great goal from Smith, infact it was out of place in this game, after their 2 substitutions I think every one of their players on the pitch were 6 foot or over. We can stuff them in the replay.

Didn't pass and move the ball quick enough for me, Mansfield won most balls in the air down the middle, the way to beat them would have been to get the ball down the channels and get in behind.

Missed Wes today his ability to win the ball and drive forward has been a massive improvement in his game in recent matches, Rogers passed sideways far too much.

Rooney very frustrating..

Distinct lack of atmosphere, Rocky Road End should have been open.

Not going to mention the ref as he was an absolute joke, he let them play on for their goal then brought the free kick back when they still had the ball! first time he played advantage all afternoon!!!

Edited by chickenbaltipie

Both full backs were poor. Lanzoni worries me but avoids major criticism today because Plummer is THAT bad. He looks ropey in almost every aspect of defending and I've never seen a player so scared of the ball. Rogers isn't good enough, wasn't even tidy today and that is all he offers. Surely Mellor and Winchester are better options than Anton - it's time to play them in their proper position = CM. Rooney is useless unless he is playing off another striker and dropping deeper (i.e. he need Charlie Mac). As for Sidney, I'm afraid the lad was atrocious today, he needs to learn the game but seems to have stopped what he is actually good at and attacking his man - the lad in the main stand lower who shouted abuse was correct in his assessment of Schmeltz, but FFS don't give such direct abuse at one of our own players - be constuctive and offer encouragement.

We should beat them down at Field Mill (or have they moved?) for the simple reason that they are terrible!!

Bad day at the office but we're in the draw 2mro, one of the highlights of the season!!

They came with a gameplan to stop us building from the back - because too many players had an off day - we didnt play with our usual(recent) high tempo game - resulting in too many square passes,rooney was totally isolated up top ( some around me were grumbling about him but ffs no service) petrasso on but he hardly saw the ball...positive was that 'world class' goal by korey smith!

Not going to mention the ref as he was an absolute joke, he let them play on for their goal then brought the free kick back when they still had the ball! first time he played advantage all afternoon!!!

He applied the rule well as the position they had the ball in was less advantageous than the position the foul had been committed in.

He got it wrong with a not dissimilar one for us in the second half, although we were also undone by Plummer's :censored: delivery. Kusunga back on Tuesday and Grounds to LB, please.

Having looked at all the draws, think Metty is spot on about telly unless two other drawn fixtures get big draws.

why do some people still want grounds at LB? he is currently playing quality at CB... probably apart from korey smith and wes is our most consistent player! keep him at CB, just friggin put Mellor LB

Yep. Been quality last few games. Kusunga was awesome at CB at Wolves, but with Lanzoni worrying me I'd have Mellor LB and Kusunga RB. Distribution from Grounds again high quality this afternoon.

Yep. Been quality last few games. Kusunga was awesome at CB at Wolves, but with Lanzoni worrying me I'd have Mellor LB and Kusunga RB. Distribution from Grounds again high quality this afternoon.

that's what id have, grounds only ever makes one mistake... uses his hands when trying to win the header EVERY time, gets away with it 9 times out of 10 though!

why do some people still want grounds at LB? he is currently playing quality at CB... probably apart from korey smith and wes is our most consistent player! keep him at CB, just friggin put Mellor LB

Tarky makes him look better in the centre than he is. Very shaky when Tarky isn't there.

Because in my opinion Mellor is worse at LB than Lanzoni is at RB, and Grounds and Kusunga are much of a muchness at CB.

make a good point, but kusunga has been playing class at RB, grounds and tarky forming a good partnership at CB... just need that LB slot filling in! last time grounds got pushed back out to left back he struggled because he's now adjusted to centre half

I'm going to go slightly left-field and say:

Grounds (LB)

Tarky (CB)

Lanzoni (CB)

Kusunga (RB)

Matteo looks like a CB who can do a job at RB to me, Grounds is a very good LB who is impressing playing CB, Kusunga is another CB playing RB but he is better on the ball than Matteo, and today I think he missed him more than some others.

It may depend how Dayton is, whilst I think his substitution was forced it looked to me like he had received a bang and so he could be fit for our next game.

If Dayton is out I'd be tempted to play 3-5-2 with Mellor and Winchester on the flanks and a back 3 of Grounds, Tarky, Kusunga (L-R). Then again I'm a big advocate of 3-5-2.

We should beat them down at Field Mill (or have they moved?) for the simple reason that they are terrible!!

I wouldn't write Mansfield off just yet - they had a few decent chances today. They didn't even come to do a job on us - both teams were equally poor, with tactics not really playing a part. I don't know where that performance would rank in Mansfield's season, but it was low down in ours. I'd expect both teams to be better in the replay.

Smith's goal the only good thing about the game. Their free-kick looked good from a distance, but Oxley was furious with the wall - did someone duck??

Don't like knocking young players, but Plummer stood out as particularly bad in a day of widespread sub-standard performances. Hope he's got a good agent...

Edited by JoeP