Latics 1-1 Mansfield post match discussion

just got back to Surrey and that's only my 6th game and yes we were poor,the ref I normally don't winge about but there free kick and playing on then 10 seconds later giving it ? we will beat them in the replay as they were half a yard slower than us an we bossed the game.

positives. next sat and the 29th will see big turnouts From us,can't wait and tarkowski will go for big money when the time is right he is a player

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go slightly left-field and say:

Grounds (LB)

Tarky (CB)

Lanzoni (CB)

Kusunga (RB)

Matteo looks like a CB who can do a job at RB to me, Grounds is a very good LB who is impressing playing CB, Kusunga is another CB playing RB but he is better on the ball than Matteo, and today I think he missed him more than some others.

It may depend how Dayton is, whilst I think his substitution was forced it looked to me like he had received a bang and so he could be fit for our next game.

If Dayton is out I'd be tempted to play 3-5-2 with Mellor and Winchester on the flanks and a back 3 of Grounds, Tarky, Kusunga (L-R). Then again I'm a big advocate of 3-5-2.

I have been advocating we go 3 at the back for some while now, since we do seem to have a surplus of quality centre backs, and it would save Korey having to drop so deep to become the spare man, but if we have a totally ineffective striker it will be wasted.

Yes the service to the strikers was poor, but I affected the game more than Rooney today, and it was sat in the stand!

JCH seemed to find a way of working with the poor service and got a couple of decent shots away.

We can't carry passengers like Rooney and schmeltz and expect to win games.

Just seen the goals, great run and finish by Smith, their fk looked like a pretty good strike too to be fair.

I think Burton Vs Fleetwood would be the only replay to provide competition for the TV spot (granted not the strongest competition), unless one of the other replays draws a top Prem team.

Re the sun article on another thread and as another member said on there.

Could yesterday's performance be related to this sun article today? Could the players have know about it and it put a damper on the performance?

First indications are that it is a surprise to all at the club.

Re the sun article on another thread and as another member said on there.

Could yesterday's performance be related to this sun article today? Could the players have know about it and it put a damper on the performance?

I wouldn't be to surprised if this was known to people yesterday that the story was going to run so quite possibly

It was a poor game - simple as. No pace, no tempo and a real lack of desire but we are still in the hat so we have to make sure we turn up for the replay.

On another note, Sidney seems to be getting a lot of stick on here, yes his final balls isn't the best but you have to remember why he is in league 1 and not the premiership. Dayton on the other hand seems to be getting away with all the flack? He didn't touch the ball for the first 20 mins and when he did he crossed it straight out at the far post! His second cross went straight to the keeper! I know Sidney can be frustrating but for years we have waited to see a bit of excitement in the team and with excitement at this level comes frustration and Sidney has all that- unplayable some days - wish he didn't play on others. I think what I am trying to say is I'd rather players be involved in the game and make mistakes than not be involved at all I.e. Dayton, Rooney.

P.s. who feck told LJ that Rooney was any good? He's gash.

Anyone else noticed that Grounds can't open his body up and pass to the left?

I've only seen him once or twice this season but I think he looks good when given the ball in the right areas. Like I said, he wasn't even on scraps yesterday.

I've seen him a fair amount, and while the service point is spot on. His all round game more often than not is really poor. JCH got no service yesterday but he made impact when he came on. Philip got moved out to the left an yet all our work came through him. Both of them are strikers but when things aren't going there way, they don't drift out of the game. Rooney does. He can't be solely reliant on others to have a good game, surely he's got to take some responsibility for his own game?

The truth is out, well possibly, a flat performance that should have ended in a win due to the wonder goal but with Anton Rodgers doing a Nasri we drew. Explains why his performance dipped even further. Can they climb out of their depression and win on Tuesday? The season will be f….d if we don't.

On another note, Sidney seems to be getting a lot of stick on here, yes his final balls isn't the best but you have to remember why he is in league 1 and not the premiership.

That's nonsense. When you have the ball, with no pressure on you, at this level you should be expected to put a reasonable ball in. Not inch-perfect, but at least one that is away from the keeper or isn't charged down by the first man. You should expect that at least in the two divisions directly below ours too.

Dayton was just as culpable and, that is exactly why both players were subbed second half. It improved a little after that but still problematic.

My son was videoing game for LJ from back of theRRE. Said it went past side of wall then hit Rodgers on arse and deflected in.

That was my take from the Chaddy. The wall was bizarre, it was only guarding against an outrageous left footed inswinger. when the shot came he had three quarters of the goal to aim at.

That was my take from the Chaddy. The wall was bizarre, it was only guarding against an outrageous left footed inswinger. when the shot came he had three quarters of the goal to aim at.

Totally agree Lees, I had the same view and thought that Oxley set up the wall too far left and needed another player in it on the right side (as we looked!) It was his fault I thought! But goalies always blame someone else don't they?

I was pleasantly surprised to see 3000+ Latics there. So, whilst being cheesed off at being priced out, it does show people want to watch this team. Shame they played like a bunch of :censored: tho. Conversley, we would have lost that game 0-1 at most points in the past 15 years, so...

shame the atmosphere was so flat and I thought our defence struggled early on against the big lump they had up front.

That said they didn't cause us two many problems but Rooney god he's frustrating cant hold the ball up isn't quick constantly on his arse. No wonder he's mainly a sub prior to us because I think that's probably best come on when his team are in front and he might have some space and time at the moment he looks awful.

Plummer - not sure why he's in the team awful on the ball and doesn't defend well enough for me. Plays like a stockier conner broner always passes backwards.

Didn't feel we got forward fast enough. Rodgers tended to go sideways a lot after taking one too many touches. Would have brough Petrasso on earlier. Sid very poor. Dayton poor but he was injured by looks of it.

Still even not playing well we didn't get beat